• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ashton ESG 21 Year Salute

flamchop

65/65
Specs:
5.25 x 52
Strength: Full (although I found it medium to full compared to other full bodied smokes I've had)
Dominican Puro

With a lot of cigars in this price range and rarity, the hype builds, and that weighs on my mind as I go to light one up which I can't stand. So today I torched one on my front porch while listening to some tunes and drinking my favorite brand of coffee... Dunkin Donuts :) Mmmmm.

The construction is beautiful I must say. Not very veiny. A darker oily, mildly toothy wrapper. About what you'd expect from a sungrown. I didn't find many flaws in this one. I punched the cap and the pre-light draw was even and had a good flavor to it. It torched up nice and even.

This smoke didn't have that typical peppery spice flavor I usually get when first toasting a Pepin or Padron type of smoke. Smoke came through nicely and the flavor was pretty mellow. Nothing noteworthy.

After about the first half inch the flavors seemed to perk up. Nice mellow flavor, good amount of smoke, and lasting finish. I'd like to say it had a coffee-like after taste but that could have very well been the actual coffee :)

After the halfway mark the flavor turned and mellowed out very much. The ash was very strong and bright white. Some of the perked up flavor from the beginning was gone, and this was just straight, medium-bodied flavor. In fact it was so mellowed out that all I could think of was that this tasted like tobacco. There were no sweet notes, no nuttiness, no coffee... nothing. If anything maybe leathery or "earthy" although I'm not sure what that really means.

The last few inches were the best in my opinion and I ended up nubbing this sucker. My coffee was long gone at this point but the fact that I could still detect a coffee-ish flavor (without sweetness) with the leather... leads me to believe that this is the flavor profile of this smoke.

The whole way down the burn was even, only minor touch ups needed. After I finished the smoke, the flavor lingered in my mouth for quite a while and to be honest it's a pleasant flavor.

Overall I'd say I enjoyed it, but the hype is nowhere near called for in my opinion and the price tag makes it a smoke I will probably never buy again. At about $10 this becomes worth it, at $18, forget about it. It doesn't even begin to touch any of the Anniversary Padrons, the Anejos, or for that matter the higher end Tatuajes (J21, Cojonu, etc.)

Here are some pics! As usual I started my smoke on the later side so it got too dark to take pics of the very end. But here's my sad attempt and mimicking Kingantz pic style which I think is great!

Great review Mike and in a timely matter LOL!! I was just getting ready to grab one in a pass but at last minute changed my mind. I am a HUGE fan of the VSG and figured these might be worth the shot. I have heard the same opinions as you expressed.

I only had one VSG ever... and I liked it a bit more than this one. I would say this is worth a try because either I could have gotten a bad one, or my palette needs developing... etc. Who knows! I just know what I like at this point in time!

Nice review. I've never tried one myself. That thing looks beautiful with that fancy band and all.

Nice review bro! I am on the other side though. :) I absolutely love ESG's, especially the churchill. lol. I was a huge fan of the VSGs as well, but then I tried the ESG and well I am hooked. Even though they are a bit overpriced IMHO, they are a wonderful smoke that I feel everyone should try at least one of!

Don

Awesome review Mike! Nice pics! :D I'm with Don on these. I've tried a number of VSG and have yet to have one that's done anything for me. Now the ESG on the other hand, I thoroughly enjoy! I've not had a 21 yr salute, however it doesn't look much different than a regular ESG. Again, great review my friend!

Great review. Like Don and Greg, I'm a fan of the ESG. Mark, if you've never had one it's definitely worth trying.

I would say I definitely enjoyed the smoke though, but I think I expected something a little more spectacular for $18. Like I said, had this been a $10-$12 smoke I'd say it was right on point. But a '26 Padron #2 for about $16, in my opinion, blows this away. I guess that's the beauty of individual taste! And I do understand however that the leaves to make this particular smoke are not exactly in great abundance which I'm sure adds to the price and the demand.

Mark you're a huge Opus X guy I think you will enjoy this ESG probably more than I did, so I wouldn't hesitate to pick that one up in the pass.

Great review and sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it.

I for one think these, especially the 21 year, are outstanding in every regard. I've only had about 5 so far, but every single one of them has been on point.

My first taste of these was in Moki's blind taste test and even then, not knowing exactly what it was, I gave it rave reviews.

Different smokes for different folks I guess :)

Great review and sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it.

I for one think these, especially the 21 year, are outstanding in every regard. I've only had about 5 so far, but every single one of them has been on point.

My first taste of these was in Moki's blind taste test and even then, not knowing exactly what it was, I gave it rave reviews.

Different smokes for different folks I guess :)

Agreed! One of my Faves! I also like the 20 year, still looking for that elusive 22 year torpedo!!! Anyone?

Thanks!

~ t

Agreed! One of my Faves! I also like the 20 year, still looking for that elusive 22 year torpedo!!! Anyone?

Thanks!

~ t

I was in a B&M in Chicago (Belicoso) and they had a full box.....can you believe I didn't buy 1. Instead I bought 3 "My Fathers". I don't regret my choice :)

Thanks!

~ t

I was in a B&M in Chicago (Belicoso) and they had a full box.....can you believe I didn't buy 1. Instead I bought 3 "My Fathers". I don't regret my choice :)

Nice choice - although I woulda bought 3 of each :)

~ t