• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tatuaje Black Label

flamchop

65/65
I had the good fortune recently of scoring some Tatuaje Black Labels for the first time. The ones I got are wrapped in cello, which from reading up on them, came from bundles of 25 that were sent to retailers before the jars were released. What I can't find is whether there is any difference to these compared to the sticks that came in the jar. After setting fire to a couple here's my review.

Specs:
5 5/8 x 46
Wrapper: Nicaragua
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Unknown, probably Nicaragua?

From Vitolas.net: This classic corona gorda vitola with a covered foot and fuma cap bears a rather intriguing black variant of the usual Tatuaje band. The cigar is Pete Johnson's personal cigar; the blend is a closely guarded secret for now, but it does use Nicaraguan tobaccos.

The wrapper had a nice dark caramel look to it. The construction on this cigar is good and the wrapper has some tooth. Giving it a little squeeze I didn't find any hard spots. After clipping, the pre-light draw had an almost sweet taste to it, and draw seems like it'll be very good. Right away the covered foot had me concerned that either I wouldn't get it lit even enough or some uneven burns would but unable to avoid.

On toasting the foot and within the first half inch there was that usual Tatuaje blast of peppery spice. So much so that it made me cough a couple times. I happen to like this with Tatuajes... call me crazy! But I would also say there was a slightly sweeter hint to this pepper taste, probably more like dark chocolate than anything but hard to pick up on. And I was please to see that the burn was nice and even.

After another inch or so I noticed the ash. The ash was a nice bright gray color and seemed to be holding on pretty well. The first Tat Black I smoked had a very flaky ash, but this seems to be the norm with these. But this one wasn't as flaky. A flaky ash doesn't bother me in the least to be honest as look as the smoke is tasting good, which this one was doing very much so in the first couple inches.

About the midway point the flavors mellowed out very much, and became a nice even distribution of what I considered a slightly sweet toasted nut flavor. Very pleasing and it made it hard not to smoke this guy too fast. The strong pepper flavor was pretty much gone by now.

As I came toward the band and beyond, I noticed the good flavors continuing steady and strong, and it never got harsh on me. The slightly sweet hint was gone, and now it was pure leathery tobacco... and it was very pleasing, never harsh.

Overall I really enjoyed this smoke. And I would say the price point is right on at $12, albeit a very difficult stick to get your hands on. There no wonder in my mind why Pete would smoke these all the time, I would too if I had access to them!

Here are some pics. I smoked late at night inside, so apologies on the lighting. I know sunlight is the best!

Very nice review Mike! Great pics too! I've got a few of these sitting in the humi for a while as my first exprience wasn't that great (much too loose a draw). I'm hoping my next one will be as good an experience as you had. Thanks for the review!

Great review, I think the blacks are a great cigar if you a lucky enough to find em'!!

In my limited experience with Tats, I find them to burn better and have less problems with plugged sticks if I keep them at 60% RH with my ISOM's. It's the only non-ISOM brand I keep at 60. I also dry-box all my Tats the night before if I can. And..great review...the Blacks are one fine smoke.

Edited for spelling.

I think the difference between the cello and jar release is how the foot is done. The one is like the one you smoked, the other is "normal". I only say this cause I have both and thats what I see.

I thought they cello releases were the sticks Pete didn't find suitable for the jar release. Wrapper issues if my memory serves me correct. Re rolled and then release in bundles of 25.

I thought they cello releases were the sticks Pete didn't find suitable for the jar release. Wrapper issues if my memory serves me correct. Re rolled and then release in bundles of 25.

Now that you mention that, I believe I did hear something similar. And that it had to do with the color of the wrapper, not necessarily the construction. It wasn't dark enough or something like that.

I've had a couple of the Tat Blacks from the jar and I thought they we're very good. I have 2 more jar releases that I have gotten from a local B&M. Then I have some Tat black Robusto's that I can't wait to try.

Sweet review ... this one's on my To Try list, will have to keep my eyes peeled.

Nick

Thanks for the review. I had similar experiences with mine. Great job.