• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My Father Robusto

flamchop

65/65
I've heard a lot about these recently so I decided to pick up a few. I've smoked two so far, here's my review.

5.25 x 52
Country of Origin: Nicaragua
Strength: Full
Wrapper: According to Holt's it's Nicaraguan but I think that's an error, CI says it's Habano-Rosado leaf grown in Ecuador
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan

Apparently this cigar is made from Don Pepin's own tobacco. Tobacco he is growing himself in his own fields which I thought was interesting. His son Jaime is responsible for this particular blend of smokes. In my opinion he's done good!

At first glance the wrapper reminds me of the Cuban Classic... one of my favorites from Pepin. It's a bit more veiny however, and this dark caramel colored cigar has some minor tooth. The foot looks a little loose to me with what at first appeared to be a tunnel but turned out to be nothing. Overall I think the construction is on par with other Pepin stuff down to the triple cap.

I clipped it and toasted the foot and the draw was perfect. I immediately got a blast of pepper. The same blast I usually get with Tatuaje/Pepin smokes. I've found that with a lot of down time that tends to go away. The first inch or so was pure pepper and spice, but pleasing to smoke. After that first inch it mellowed out a lot. I got more of a coffee type of flavor with a slight hint of something sweet. The only thing I could think of to describe the sweetness was caramel... but after thinking about it more I realized it was reminding me a lot of a Christmas or Birthday card envelope! When you lick the part of the envelope to close it and it has that sweet taste is what it reminded me of, but not nearly as blatant. It was subtle.

This coffee/caramel/envelope taste was very pleasing to smoke and the flavor lasted in my mouth. After the halfway point it died down a little and had more of an earthy tobacco flavor. I smoked it down to the nub, and that hint of sweetness stayed the whole way down. Lots of creamy smoke the entire time. The ash is fairly white and held strong.

I enjoyed this smoke very much. At a $9 price point I'd say it's worth a shot if you haven't tried it yet. In my opinion that price tag is a buck or two above what it should be... but I really do feel with more down time this smoke can be something special. I'd say it was better than the Casa Royale line Pepin does for Holt's, and maybe on par with the San Cristobal which is another Pepin blend I enjoy a lot.

And of course here are pics... still learning from the master photo-reviewer Kingantz lol.

Can you tell by my ashtray that I love Tatuaje smokes? lol

Great review!!! I passed these at the shop while we were Herfing at Mahog's. I kind of wish I grabbed on now LOL!

I've smoked (3) of these so far and your review is spot on. I really enjoyed mine to the nub.

Nice Job!

Very nice review. I completely agree. This line has got me really excited because it is proving to be one of his best.

I've had the lancero, beli, and robusto and I think they are all fabulous.

I'll have to pay better attention next time and look for the "envelope" taste, rofl. :laugh:

Great review, thanks. I agree with you, that this is a very good smoke, even at the price range. Truly worth trying.

The lancero is amazing. I swear, when I blow the smoke out of my nose, I can taste Tabasco sauce. Mmm mmm mmm! :thumbs:

Yet another cigar that I want to try the Lancero so badly! Every time I read a review on My Father, I wish I would of jumped on a sampler sooner.