• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

La Aurora Barrel Aged

flamchop

65/65
I've heard a lot about these every since Blanco put them out. They aren't hard to find but sometimes you do have to look around for them. At the last Philly herf I picked up a couple of these. This was the second one I've smoked and I found both experiences to be about the same. I enjoyed them! The tobacco leaves are aged in Dominican oak rum barrels (that once had rum in them) for at least a year before these smokes are rolled. Depending on the source, these cigars are aged a total of ~ 5 years before you can buy them.

La Aurora Barrel Aged Robusto
5 x 50
Strength: Medium
Wrapper: Dominican
Binder: Dominican
Filler: Nicaraguan

Pre-light: The smoke, with it's very dark brown oily wrapper, feels good in the hand. Not too soft or firm. The smell is of a pleasant cedar or oak. I clipped the cap and was able to pull a good amount of air through.

After toasting, the cigar immediately gives off a nice woody, earthy aroma. The burn is even and the ash is light gray to white. Cedar and other woody flavors are abundant in the first part of this smoke and I thought it was very enjoyable. It almost has a sweet note to it, but I wouldn't say it was an overly sweet cigar. That must come from the rum barrels, but there's no presence of rum or infused flavor, it's just very tasty overall. I had a bit of a draw problem to start off with, the cigar a little tight for my liking, but that cleared up after an inch or so. The burn stayed pretty even throughout.

I've read that the thinner, longer sizes have more of that sweet flavor that most do not like, but this vitola having more filler tobacco offsets that I think. The wood and earth lasted the whole way down the smoke and near the final 1/3 the spices picked up a bit, not nothing too major. One thing worth mentioning is the rather long finish. The taste stays in the mouth for a long time between puffs and after I was done, which is a bonus!

Overall this was a very enjoyable smoke. I'm not about to run out and buy a box or anything, but I love having one or two in the humi to pull out from time to time. Definitely worth a go if you haven't tried one. I've only had a couple smokes from La Aurora and so far I've liked everything I've had, and this one is among the best from them in my opinion. What's strange is I think I paid about $8 for these singles but a box can be had for $135 from the same place.

Good review. I've had several of these and have really enjoyed them.

Thanks for the review.

My suspicion is correct, the rum barrel did nothing for taste, only raised the price.

Regardless, I do like to try one.

Thanks for the review.

My suspicion is correct, the rum barrel did nothing for taste, only raised the price.

I don't know that I'd say it did "nothing" for the taste. I'm sure it had a lot to do with that woody, oak flavor the cigar has.

I was really looking forward to trying one of these as well, so I lit a #4 up on Saturday night during the OU romping of Texas Tech. It was downright awful, I didn't (couldn't) make it through an inch. It was a bit wet so I am hoping that was the problem, fingers crossed.

Thanks for the review.

I don't know that I'd say it did "nothing" for the taste. I'm sure it had a lot to do with that woody, oak flavor the cigar has.

Okay, I will take your word for it. I still want to try one out and see for myself.
My comment was not geared towards you but the marketing scheme of the cigar.
Again, I do appreciate the time and effort you put into the review. It was well done. :thumbs:

Thank you.

I had one of these in the corona size a few weeks ago and liked it -- though didn't think it was spectacular. Your description is apt: woody with a hint of sweetness, perhaps from the barrel.
For BOTLs in the DC area, Draper's happens to have a special on these through Dec. 15, I think. I think a fiver of the coronas runs about $25.

I agree with Flamchop. While you can't taste the rum in the cigar, the barrel aging gives the cigar a "woodsy" or "caske" taste. I really enjoyed them when they came out, but haven't smoked one in a while.

Thanks for the review.

Okay, I will take your word for it. I still want to try one out and see for myself.
My comment was not geared towards you but the marketing scheme of the cigar.
Again, I do appreciate the time and effort you put into the review. It was well done. :thumbs:

Thank you.

Oh of course I understand that, and thanks for the kind words. Any time I post a review I expect there will be people who will flat out disagree, and those who do agree. It comes with the territory. I like to post reviews because it gives me a reason to think more critically about the cigar I'm smoking which helps develop the palate I think. Also, there have been so many reviews here that have helped me with making purchase decisions on new cigars to try out I like to try and contribute where I can. The more reviews and discussions on those reviews the better - for those who haven't had experiences with particular smokes, especially CC's where it's much more difficult to try a broad range of smokes without investing serious coin.

I agree with Flamchop. While you can't taste the rum in the cigar, the barrel aging gives the cigar a "woodsy" or "caske" taste. I really enjoyed them when they came out, but haven't smoked one in a while.

I agree, this was the second one I've ever smoked. I can't see myself going for this one very often but I like it to be there for a change of pace once in a while. That's how I look at the Illusiones too with their unique taste. Although I'd say the Illusiones are a step above these.

Nice review. I have been wanting to try one of these for a while now, but have nver gotten around to it.

I normally have a couple of the robustos in my humi. To me, they have a nice solid flavor and a mellow smoke.