• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Firestone 12

smellysell

Go Vols!!!
I’ve really been trying to get away from the hunt for super hyped beers lately because it was getting to be a bit out of hand, but after tasting Opal, Parabola, and the rest of the Firestone Walker beers at GABF I’ve been on a single-minded mission to procure a bottle of this. In typical CP fashion, not only did I end up getting one bottle, but I got a bottle each from 3 different badass BOTLs (I use the term “badass” loosely in Jonas' and Grapes' case, Cali Mike is good though :p ). I really can’t express how much I appreciate it guys!

The Barrels and the Beer
XII is once again a blend of beers produced by our brewing staff and blended by our winemaking friends. We maintain between 80-100 barrels in the program. Many of these were left to rest after the previous years' blends were produced. We have yet to fully realize how long a beer might last and improve over time - we only know that we are very happy with how thing are progressing. We now have beers that have been with us for more than three years.
This year's blend resulted from harvesting 32 barrels, leaving a nice amount for subsequent years and the opportunity to watch things develop. But please remember- this isn't a Belgian freak show - this project is about clean fermented beers, produced with water, malt, hops, cultured brewing yeast and oak barrels. No Critters, No Fruit. It's not that we have anything against such things. We hold no prejudices when it comes to beer. We simply wanted to explore a piece of the brewing world that concentrates on what we know best and what our brewery is all about.

The foundational beer for this year's blend is our bourbon barrel-aged Imperial Stout Parabola. This beer was originally formulated three years ago for this project, and some of that original beer is in this blend. The beer was brewed again in January of 2008 by James Cibak, my very good friend, with whom I learned how to brew back in Chicago at Goose Island Brewing. He went on to become the Head Brewer at Three Floyds and then came to work at Firestone Walker for a short stint... long enough to lend his expertise to this fine brew. James now is back in the Mid-West heading up the Crown Brewing Company in Crown Point, IN. Parabola is massive yet refined, and is responsible for all of the roasty, chocolate, and assertive dark malt character in the blend.

This year we did take things a little out of our comfort zone and added some twists to the beers that we produced for this project. Sean Paxton (a.k.a. the Homebrew Chef) came to the brewery and brewed his Saucerful of Secrets, a tribute to the late Syd Barrett. This is this first time that we have brewed a full scale beer utilizing Belgian yeast (not wild, mind you.) The recipe is far removed from anything we have ever produced and definitely showcases what happens when a chef steps into the brewhouse. This beer just keeps getting better and better as it ages. The beer was awarded the 1st place gold medal at the California State Fair - quite an honor for a homebrewer and his recipe. It was amplified and brewed on our 50bbl kettles, producing a winner on the first try! It's a homebrewer's dream, I would guess.
Another first was Opal (or Big Opal), a Wheat Wine formulated to be a big malty beer for blending down aggressive oak astringency and other rough edges. By itself, it never really worked for me, but as a blending piece it is a perfect beer. It became the big jammy Zin for our blend. As we formulated this beer, we realized that a substantial amount of the second runnings would be lost to make this massive first runnings beer. We chose to save these tailings and fermented them with Saison yeast creating Lil' Opal, which became a favorite summer session beer around the brewery... a Central Coastal twist to partigyle brewing.

Rufus was the final big beer to be added to the fold. This Imperial Amber Ale (is there really such a thing?) had been in rye whiskey and bourbon barrels for a year and a half, which pushed the mature barrel character of this beer to a beautiful place.

The Finished Piece-
As a finished beer, XII is in some ways more aggressive than any previous blend, but it maintains a great deal of depth and complexity. Everyone seems to get something different when they taste this beer- mocha, tobacco, toasted almonds, olallieberries... I leave the interpretation to you. It is best enjoyed in a half filled brandy snifter or wine glass. Allow it to warm to 55F to fully enjoy the pleasing and complex aromas. If left in a cool dark place, I suspect that this beer will age well. Only time will tell. If you find something you like- please contact us and let us know your thoughts.
I truly hope you enjoy our third oak-aged blend. This crazy beer journey continues!

Dedicated to Bryan Pulido. May your next brew be your very best.

Matt

-snippet from an email from FW brewer Matt Brynildson

fw12.jpg

Style – American Strong Ale
ABV – 12%
Brewed In – Paso Robles, CA
Availability – Brewed Once

Score – 8.6/10

Appearance
Poured jet black into my snifter. Light tan head that had pretty minimal retention and left almost no lacing.

Smell
The bourbon is very dominating, and for the most part overwhelms everything else. There are also some faint aromas of raisins and chocolate malts that you can detect under the bourbon though.

Taste
This is truly a beer suited to my personal tastes! The flavor is huge and in your face with tons of dark/roasty flavors. The bourbon is definitely there, but not even close to being over the top. It’s quite amazing to me how much reading Matt’s write-up above helps to give me an understanding of where all the different flavors are coming from. The plum flavors from the Saucerful of Secrets are plentiful, as is the Rye flaver form the Rufus. The oak barrels also provide some nice oak and vanilla. This is definitely one of the most complex beers I’ve had, though I think a little time in the cellar will definitely help meld some of the flavors.

Feel
There is significant warming form the bourbon which I’m sure would be a bad thing for some people. I personally love it, especially as chilly as it is here at the moment. There is a very light carbonation which is very appropriate for the style, and the body is extraordinarily thick and smooth.

Overall
While it is still a little rough around the edges at this point, this is truly a beer after my own heart. The HUGE flavors coupled with the amazing complexity is what I always hope for when I crack a big beer like this. While a lot of the massively hyped beers fail to live up to the hype, this one definitely isn’t one of them. The score would have been significantly higher based on taste alone, but the appearance and aromas scores brought it down quite a bit. I can’t wait to see how the other two are down the road! Thanks to denverdog, Mas_Puros, and grapes for hooking me up with these!

Have I mentioned lately that I hate you Justin...

nice score :)

Very nice review and assessment of this beer, Justin. I agree that it is a bit hot and will only get better with some time.

Nice review Justin. Another great find for you!

Nice review Justin. I finally got a bottle. I'm looking forward to it. The 10 and 11 were phenomenal.