• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cooler-dor 101

Emod, Can you help me out a little...just started setting up my coolerdor (trading my humidor and in the process of getting a cabinet) and I have a couple questions. 1) After soaking it in bleach and water overnight, since its winter where do you recommend to dry it out. Would it be ok outside in the colder weather,and would this disperse the bleach smell? 2) I have smaller plastic container going into the cooler as well, would it be the same process for those as well ( bleach with water, dry, baking soda, etc)

Thanks your help is appreciate.
E

centurycigar said:
Emod, Can you help me out a little...just started setting up my coolerdor (trading my humidor and in the process of getting a cabinet) and I have a couple questions. 1) After soaking it in bleach and water overnight, since its winter where do you recommend to dry it out. Would it be ok outside in the colder weather,and would this disperse the bleach smell? 2) I have smaller plastic container going into the cooler as well, would it be the same process for those as well ( bleach with water, dry, baking soda, etc)

Thanks your help is appreciate.
E
[snapback]281688[/snapback]​
If it is new, and there isn't any plastic smell, you can skip the bleach step. That is more geared to a used cooler or one that has plastic smell to it. If you need to bleach, just stick it in the tub and go from there.

Emo

How often do you have to open the cooler to air it out, because the seal is really good, so there will be no airflow.
Thanks for your help.

centurycigar said:
How often do you have to open the cooler to air it out, because the seal is really good, so there will be no airflow.
Thanks for your help.
[snapback]282561[/snapback]​
Actually, if you are using beads my opinion is once a month to check on your humidity level. If you are pulling cigars out on a reguar basis to smoke, you should have no worries.

Emo

I saw somewhere here that they sell spanish cedar made to fit inside a cooler. What are you using to adhere the cedar to the interior walls? A spray adhesive or dual sided tape? And after adhereing(sp?) the cedar to the walls are you sealing the ends of the cedar with a caulking compond so that there is no mold between the cedar and the interior wall of the cooler?

I saw somewhere here that they sell spanish cedar made to fit inside a cooler. What are you using to adhere the cedar to the interior walls? A spray adhesive or dual sided tape? And after adhereing(sp?) the cedar to the walls are you sealing the ends of the cedar with a caulking compond so that there is no mold between the cedar and the interior wall of the cooler?

I think I saw an earlier reccomendation to use self adhesive velcro strips. With the velcro, you could remove the cedar for periodical cleaning if necessary.

I may have to build one of these.

I was so close to getting a cooler today but at this point I think it maybe counter-productive for me.

For all you coolerdor owners... does everyone keep their coolers horizontal? Or do some of you turn it into a cabinet style and install shelves and such?

For all you coolerdor owners... does everyone keep their coolers horizontal? Or do some of you turn it into a cabinet style and install shelves and such?

Place it however you deem fit...
I use mine in the 'chest' position.
Use your imagination... it'll work!
As long as the lid is closed :whistling:

-Rob

I use mine in the 'chest' position.
Use your imagination... it'll work!
As long as the lid is closed :whistling:

-Rob
I have had mine set up a few weeks, and am using it the same way Rob is. I thought I would get more fancy with it, and I still might eventually put in wire rack shelves, etc.

I did mine "cabinet" style.

Swissy being a stand up BOTL donated a coolerdor and cigars to CP. He had it set up with wire rack shelves. Works great because it allows room around the boxes for even RH. I use an old dorm fridge for my boxes. It makes getting to your cigars a lot easier.

-E

Here's a pic of my coolidor.
IMG_1182.jpg

I open mine at least once a week for air exchange and added an Oust fan to help circulate air inside.

cloudsofcuba said:
Are the thin cedar strips that come in boxes good for lining the walls of the cooler? When washing the cooler with dish soap, is it OK to use water from a hose? Thanks guys.
[snapback]255086[/snapback]​
Plain old water is fine. Really, you only need to wash the cooler out if it has any noticeable odor.
Is it necessary to add cedar to a coolidor? What would be the best way??

cloudsofcuba said:
Are the thin cedar strips that come in boxes good for lining the walls of the cooler? When washing the cooler with dish soap, is it OK to use water from a hose? Thanks guys.
Plain old water is fine. Really, you only need to wash the cooler out if it has any noticeable odor.

Just keep em in the cedar boxes, you don't need to line it with cedar, kinda takes up space...

cloudsofcuba said:

No cedar lining in mine!
Just a few boxes and a cedar tray for some singles!
Amzing aroma in there, and works like a dream!!!

does anyone use something other than silca beads? i'm looking for a more cost friendly solution, contimplating foam oasis, but not sure if it will work well enough

does anyone use something other than silca beads? i'm looking for a more cost friendly solution, contimplating foam oasis, but not sure if it will work well enough

The pure silica kitty litter works well.