• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Has Anyone been to Atlantis in the Bahamas?

Gonz

Ultra Runner
My wife and I are heading there in December for a conference, then staying a couple extra days (gotta love expense accounts), and while I am not planning on bringing any back (it's illegal, remember?), apparantly there is a cigar shop at the resort in their shopping area. It's called "Havana Humidor", and is supposed to have an impressive selection of premium cuban cigars, at least according to the resort website.

I'm trying to find out what I can on google, for instance if this is a Habanos S.A. shop or what. It's not an LCDH, I already checked that.

Does anyone here know about that shop, or has anyone actually been there? I'm assuming that their prices will be absurd, and I'm planning on bringing whatever I'll be smoking with me, but just in case they are legit it might be nice to find a gem or two! And of course I plan on studying up on the msrp's so I'll know if I'm getting robbed or not!

Thanks for the help!

My wife and I go there every November for Thanksgiving. it's a nice shop and the cigars are legit. Not sure if it's officially Habanos S.A., but they are real. And expensive. Seriously, it's not worth the money - you will spend at least 3-4x "normal" prices.

I have been there, I will be there again next week as a matter of fact. It is a nice shop with nice sticks but expensive. Expect robusto's to be 15 dollars and up, and churchills to be around 25 and up.

Thanks for the replies! I figured as much. Well, I guess I can always check it out and see if they are flexible for an aficionado such as myself, who'll call them on their prices. :sign: :D

ps I'm joking about the aficianado part, don't want anyone to think my head has inflated, yet. :whistling:

There is something like a 100 or 200 percent tax on all imported goods to the bahamas. Gas is like 4 or 5 bucks a gallon there. Dont expect any prices to budge anytime soon.

I visited Atlantis about 2 years ago and checked out cigra store in resort and another in a liquor store (across the street in a plaza)

My conclusion with store in Atlantis was that most cigars were legit but I came across a lot of fakes, mainly limitada Edicions(Montecristo Robustos,Cohiba Piramides,Partagas serie D 3's etc.) Looked at box codes and all were fake. Prices were really high due too high import duties and the last dissapointment that stopped me from purchasing any at all was that cigars were all dead. Lack of humidity ,most all the wrappers were pale white.

Anyway you should judge for yourself as this was 2 years ago and maybe they have cleaned thier act up.

as for the store across street (in the plaza) you should AVOID. The cigars were kept in jewelry cases no humidfication and only had the popular brands, which just looking at them i could tell were fakes. Prices were not in line with buying ligit cigars from distributor plus Bahamas import duty to make a profit. :cool:

The Atlantis Resort was really cool. The cigars in the shop there were expensive, but they were good. We also went into downtown Nassau and saw the Graycliff Hotel. They let us go into the back where they roll all the cigars. This was really worth the trip, you can take a ferry to Nassau for a few dollars. The Graycliffs were expensive, but not bad. I hope you have fun.

I've been there also...and while the Cubans are definitely more expensive there (generally at least twice as much as anywhere else in Nassau), you can at least be sure they're authentic...however, has anyone noticed a dropoff in the quality of Cuban Cigars lately? Or is it just me? Seems like the Dominicans I smoke (Partagas, La Gloria, Romeo y Julieta, and others...) have been getting better...

I've been there also! The shop is really expensive. However, there is another little cigar shop in Nassau somewhere... I found it while walking around.

Nassau also had some huge outdoor market thing when I was there. Every local I saw was offering me cuban cigars (they can spot a tourist a mile away). "Hey big guy, you want cuban cigar?" I was getting R&J from the locals for about $8 a stick.

Great place, I want to go back there.

Pyre said:
I've been there also! The shop is really expensive. However, there is another little cigar shop in Nassau somewhere... I found it while walking around.

Nassau also had some huge outdoor market thing when I was there. Every local I saw was offering me cuban cigars (they can spot a tourist a mile away). "Hey big guy, you want cuban cigar?" I was getting R&J from the locals for about $8 a stick .

Great place, I want to go back there.
[snapback]216273[/snapback]​
The market was the straw market...I was just there...you also have to be extremely careful buying ISOM's from the locals, the cab drivers, and the small shops...I've found them loaded with fakes...you really need to know your source...there are however, a few retailers on the main drag, that are reputable...you may pay a little more for the smokes, but certainly less than at the Atlantis, and at least you know you have a fighting chance of getting the real thing...

Hey great, thanks for the tips. The more I think about it, I'll most likely just bring my own cigars. I'll be sure to check out the shop, maybe even buy something that I can't easily get otherwise, and just think of it as treating myself because I'm on vacation!

Gonz said:
Hey great, thanks for the tips.  The more I think about it, I'll most likely just bring my own cigars.  I'll be sure to check out the shop, maybe even buy something that I can't easily get otherwise, and just think of it as treating myself because I'm on vacation!
[snapback]216298[/snapback]​

I didn't intend to dissuade you...I think (IMHO) the better shops that are directly on the main drag are okay, but I would stay away from the side street shops (unless someone knows of a specific shop that's legit?), and I even think that a few of the main drag shops are chains so I guess anything you buy there would be fine but I could be entirely wrong as I am far from an authority on ISOM's...I've just been to Nassau about a dozen times and I like to prowl around foreign places...