• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

exhaust fan

mg1cigar

I want to add a ceiling mount exhaust fan to my den, so my wife and I and a few good friends can enjoy smoking our fine cigars in the comforts of our home. Yhe thing is I don't want other parts of my home smelling like a smoking lounge. If anyone can turn me on to a site that would help me out that would be great. I'm just getting started researching these fans and have no idea where to start.

Thx,
Mike

Don't know of any site other than companies that sell filtering equipment and such. If you are going to vent the smoke out, make sure you're venting it outside the house and not into the addic. Venting into the addic will only allow it to filter back into the house. Venting is one of the best ways to "help" in controlling cigar odor but will not eliminate it. I would recommend using the venting plus a good hepa air filter unit in combination.

I am the only one that smokes in my house...and for the most part only in my office area. I have a medium size hepa air filter unit in this room and a large hepa air filter unit in the family room that runs 24/7. Seems to do the trick for us.

One last thing...make sure to empty the ashtrays. Never leave cigar butts in a room overnight. :thumbs:

Are you sure you want an exhaust fan? Remember that while you are pulling all the smoke out, you will also be taking out the conditioned air (heater and/or AC).

I would recommend a Heppa Filter and an Ozone Generator :)

But Following the suggestions of the guy above this post is a good idea too!! :D :p :thumbs:

Any place like Home Depot or Lowes will have exhaust fans. The trick is to get the kind that you han hook a hose up to. Then get the cheapest hose, attach it with hose clamps. Then buy one of those dryer exhaust shields. You will have to mount in through the wall of your house. This can be relatively easy or a real bitch, depends on the house. Mount the shield and hook the exhaust hose to it. The key is to find a fan that accepts the same size hose as the shield. If the room has a window, might be easier just to window mount an AC or fans.
Ditto about the hepa filter. You can also get ionizer's which really help purify the air. Plus the one I saw doesnt have any moving parts or costly filters. The charge between both rods creates air flow. And to keep it working all you have to do is wipe the rods down every so often.

Emo

Never gave the heat or A/C a thought, thanks :D where did you find that Heppa air filter unit? Sounds very interesting, I've gotta look into that. Is it an air purifyer? I've seen some systems on TV, but don't know if they are the same thing you guys are talking about. :) The ashe trays are always emptied, made that mistake years ago, threw the butts and ashes in the trash not thinking about the smell - never again! :sign:

Consider the trade off of venting your air conditioning/heat to a stinking smoked fill room. It sounds like more than one person will be smoking in this area and that will produce quite a bit of smoke. I think the trade off would be worth it to vent for an hour or two verse leaving the smoke in the room. JMO

You can find hepa air filter units everywhere. (just do a search for Hepa air filters) The filters can be a bit costly but that depends on what you're budgeting to keep your house from smelling like a cigar. :) I replace mine about once every 7 to 12 months. You will spend a couple hundred dollars plus for a really good room hepa filter. As you come down in price you trade off things such as noise levels and actual effectiveness of the unit.

Good point Kenny, the venting may be worth it if there is a lot of smoking.

btw: when I said Ozone Generator, I meant Ionizer, I get them confused ???

256Cfm exhaust fan from Home Depot might run you about 70 bucks or so... To vent it out of the house, you can run dryer ducting from the fan to the attic, through the vent in the attic out to the world. On the other side of the fan, you could attach a carbon filter scrubber, and that'll clean the air on it's way out. In the room, go with what everyones saying, HEPA filtering, A really good ionizer, and some Re-Fresh smoke odor eliminator spray from cigarbid.com heheh...

Good rule of thumb though for that kind of thing... Take the cubic footage of your room (L times W), divide by 5 and that's the cfm rating you'll need to suck the air out of one room. I say a 256 just for price reasons, that'll be fairly cheap, and the dryer ducting you could get from HD too.

Good luck and welcome to the boards :)

OOOo yeah, your lookin for what's called a squirel cage fan. Much more powerful that the crap bathroom fans.

Uh Tone, to find cubic space use this formula. Length x Width x Height...you gave the formula for sq. footage. :p

Emo

hehehe, whooops. fingers didn't want to work with me on that section :p

L x W x H /5

um, that'd be the proper formula...

Been burning too many lars's as incense again :p

Top.

Good info here. We've had a few threads started along these lines in the last few months and this thread is very informative. :thumbs:

Too bad we never heard from today's birthday boy ever again :(

If you go the exhaust fan route sound becomes an issue. The less expensive fans are noisey as hell.