• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Todays Project

wkoti

Flaky McFlakerton
So I had four 4' High Grade 3/4" MDF board laying around, I had some down time today before class, so this is what I came up with. I will tell you that I've never really built anything before, especially never with wood, so it's not perfect by an means!

I hand cut the board into the approate sizes old school style, with a hand saw. Measure twice, cut once. After cutting out all the wood, assembly was next. Glued and screwed each piece together, 13 screws on the long sides, 7 each side on the top and bottom. (The drill happened to die after drilling all the holes, so I hand screwed each screw, all 68 of them) After assembling the box of 5 sides, it was time to attach the door. Bolted on the handle, next was the hinges, I went with frameless 40lb hidden internal hinges, went on painlessly. At which point I got into the detail work, sanding down all the edges with 100 grain sand paper. I added some touch up putty to where needed it (Saw dust and wood glue) and sanded that down as well. I had a pretty smooth surface, so I quit.

Now all I have to do it seal the MDF board and seal in the internal seams well. Then I will find myself some good quality veneer to cover the ugly ass outside and find a way to get my hands on some spanish cedar so I can line the inside and make a shelf or two. I'll update again when the project in finished. :D

Some of the pictures are before the final product, so they have the defects that I fixed later on in the build!

Edit to add it's 4' x 2' x 2' which is 16 cubic feet :D

IMG_89671.jpg
IMG_89741.jpg
IMG_89691.jpg
IMG_09611.jpg
IMG_09621.jpg
photo-5.jpg

Home brew....for the win...!!

If you're going to use silicone to seal it up, be sure to get "Aquarium Sealant" or a silicone that's rated as "Food Grade". If you don't, the stuff will outgas forever....the other two are almost odor free after they cure.

Have fun - B.B.S.

Edited to add - got to respect a guy that saws boards in the carpeted office... :p In my much younger days, I needed to get my motocross bike ready to go for a race, and I didn't have a heated shop. Hmm....mom and dad were out, figured they wouldn't mind If I brought the bike into the kitchen to overhaul the top end, etc. I figured wrong.... :0

HAHAHAHA, now this is freaking awesome. I remember doing stuff like this when I was 21 haha.

Nice job man. I really enjoy woodworking, so I'll be looking for updates on this one.

Good luck, it's very satisfying to do things yourself, that's awesome.

TFG

Looks like a good start. Can't wait to see the final product!

Also - That is a great looking SW setup you have there! Care to share a few pics of that setup?

The Spanish Cedar will hurt your wallet. The stuff is horribly priced (at least everywhere I've looked). Good luck.

Nice job man. I really enjoy woodworking, so I'll be looking for updates on this one.

photo-6.jpg

I think I need more cigars :D

The Spanish Cedar will hurt your wallet. The stuff is horribly priced (at least everywhere I've looked). Good luck.

I can't even find a local place that carries the sh*t, how frustrating. I'm putting the final touches on the exterior on the next couple of days. More sanding today and then I'll veneer.

That is a beautiful setup you have there! Seeing pics like that really make me miss my SW tank, maybe I will have to set one back up soon...

That is a beautiful setup you have there! Seeing pics like that really make me miss my SW tank, maybe I will have to set one back up soon...

I also have the 12 gallon Nano Cube, with the Black Volitan Lionfish and a mandarin goby, and of course a piss load of coral. (Started as a frag tank) Then along came a quarter sized Lionfish and he was too small to play with my puffers, he's almost big enough to defend himself, so he will soon move to the big tank.

So problems have arouse, the level I was using was itself unlevel and warped, so the project has been deconstructed and will be rebuilt soon. Wish me luck!

Cabinet 2.0 is nearing completion of it's initial construction.

What do you guys thinks?

100_2707.jpg

Ooh no he didn't. Are you going bigger? If you want Spanish cedar there is a bunch at my local here in the Fort. I want to say it was around $8 a board foot.