• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Review: Ramón Allones Allones Extra (EL 2011)

emoshun

SoCal Herfin'
Ramón Allones Allones Extra (EL 2011)
Origin : Cuba
Format : Corona
Size : 5.6"
Ring : 44
Box Code: ABR-SEP-11

After expressing interest in this stick Kris (LightThis) was kind enough to gift me with two of which one was sacrificed this past weekend and these are my impressions of the smoke.

1_zpsd87ac697.jpg

Burn - The burn on this Habano was even to a point, you really have to let it self adjust. It’s easy to find yourself demanding a razor like burn (a la Padrón) and endlessly touch up the line. I’ve always experienced a stick to want to burn correctly, which defeated incessant OCD touch ups on a few Habanos. The burn was very level after the first third, when the stick’s flavor really started hitting deep left field, I was a happy camper. It holds rather well, dirty white ash that has settled in endless rings at the burn line.

Construction - The wrapper is gorgeously set around the stick, with it’s slight tooth, and semi-gloss sheen it really was a treat. Not overpacked, this EL has a distinct weight to it, a firmness with just the slightest give. The cap, the cap, they really went to town on this and it shows, so solid, real care was taken here with layer.

Pre Light Draw - One of my favorite rituals when enjoying a cigar is this, tasting the raw notes of unburned tobacco and every little nuance. Holding it in and slowly retrohaling the enveloping sweet floral notes were right there. The earthy cedar aftertaste now comes to the top, and you sit rolling them around, getting just a twinge of leather and bitter cocoa on the finish. It’s time to set fire!

2_zps4d3f72ee.jpg

First 3rd - This is no ordinary RA, the sweetness and earthy tobacco are delicately woven together. The pepper is right there, not distracting, not overbearing but providing a platform for other flavors to play on. The bitter cocoa coming in and out, the strength is very subdued at this point. Lingering coils of smoke roll off the tongue, and the flavor is spot on for a stick at this point.

3_zps425ee5fe.jpg

5_zpscadfe0cf.jpg

Second 3rd - The smoke production is matching the strength at this point, generous but not over the top and the full profile of the stick has made itself apparent. The sweetness is back, bringing with it a grassy note that reminds me of the floral I was getting in the pre-light. The black coffee I’m sipping on is playing well with the leather and spice, yet I’m starting to see similarities to some non cuban sticks. Not in the burn/ash yet with the fullness of the profile, is it the age on the stick at this point, or the blending, or my palate.

7_zps38b70243.jpg

Final 3rd - The cigar’s smoke production tapers, and within a few minutes it decides to go out. I try and draw repeatedly, but there’s nothing. I relight to a blast of smoke, and a sudden rush of the burn. The complexity has left the building folks, it’s straightforward flavor from here, rich spice and hay have taken the spotlight. The smoke production at this point is great, fuming after every puff, I didn’t want it to end, but alas with the nub burning my fingers I have to put it down.

8_zps9b7ef39c.jpg

Closing - This is an exceptional cigar, from the wrapper and cap to it’s ability to hold ash, and produce excellent smoke has me captivated. I knew that with maybe more dry boxing time it wouldn’t have gone out on me, and for that I wish I had given it proper time to dry. This smoked unlike any other RA, and for that reason I picked up a box. This El given a bit of age will really come into it’s own, a dark horse with power on tap, more so than it has already.

Thanks,

Jimmy

Great review Jimmy! I really like these RA's, very tasty...

Also, nice of you Kris to share this puros with our good brother...

Yes, nice review Jimmy. I like these as well and have two boxes for a long rest. I think most LE's smoke best at the 5 year mark.

Thanks guys!

Jon - Just my iPhone 5 :)

Bill/Kris - Did either of you get this vitola's notes mimicking a non-Cuban? I'm very curious of this EL's potential in the next few years.

Jimmy great review! I picked up a box last year myself. Unfortunately I didn't have the same experience as you. I definitely tasted that grassy earthy notes but that was all she wrote. I know my palate is not as evolved as yours from the sounds of it. Also it only being about a1 1/2 yrs old. Maybe that had something to do with it as well. I think it's time to take them out again and see what they have to offer. Keep enjoying them!!!

emoshun said:
Thanks guys!

Bill/Kris - Did either of you get this vitola's notes mimicking a non-Cuban? I'm very curious of this EL's potential in the next few years.

Actually yes Jimmy I did.

Light this! said:

Thanks guys!

Actually yes Jimmy I did.

Jimmy, unfortunately I have very little experience with non cubans... But I did notice the unique profile it offered... I also believe these will be even greater with some age on them.

CigSid said:

Jimmy, unfortunately I have very little experience with non cubans... 

Oh yeah why don't you smoke that Anejo Shark I sent you? 

Jimmy, great review.  I happen to enjoy the Allones Extra quite a bit.  And while it doesn't effect the flavors at all, the old-school embossed RA band is seriously cool.

Light this! said:

Jimmy, unfortunately I have very little experience with non cubans... 

Oh yeah why don't you smoke that Anejo Shark I sent you? 

I am saving that for a special occasion  :) 

Great review... Guess I'll have to buy a box now... Lol