• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New idea? Pipe Tobacco Crawl

SkyKing

I had an idea. It is hard to come up with an original idea I'll throw it out  to see what you think.

Basically, the idea is organize a tobacco crawl, similar to a pub crawl, when groups visit different pubs and try different beverages.  The idea is that participants agree to try a variety of specified blends for say, a week or a month. We could have theme tours, say a tour for pipe newbies; a VaPer tour, Balkan Tour, Bulk tour etc.

Off the top of my head, I think a monthly tour with four or different tobaccos could be manageable. TobacCrawlers (BacCrawlers) would share their opinion and insights of the weekly choice online. We could have different crawl guides, maybe some from the industry, others could be old timers, some would be aficionados of blends, lines, or styles.

The more I write, the more excited I'm getting. The first tour might be an organized introduction to the world of tobaccos, focusing on the basics. Week One would be maybe straight Virginias, week two a burley, week three maybe a Vaper; week four maybe an English or Balkan, and perhaps finally an aromatic.

Later crawls might be all VaPers, English,  or all G.L.Pease or C&D, etc.

What do you think? Hope I'm not repeating an established idea but haven't seen anything quite like it on the boards.

FYI, full disclosure, I'm posting this on another board.

Just manage on the forums just as we would a cigar pass. One of the industry magazine sites for tobacco pipes has over a dozen crawlers signed up but you only really need two declared crawlers. The organization is simple and designed to stay simple.
Anyone can organize a tobaccor crawl, since no goods or moneys are exchanged. A crawl guide can be chosen who picks the theme and menu or members pick based on seniority or members vote on the menu. Example themes are The Newbie Crawl; A Flake Crawl; A straight Virginia Crawl; a Boswell Blend Crawl, etc. You might get a blender like Greg Pease or Boswell to serve as the Crawl Guide.
A crawl would typically last a month but could be as short as a week or as a year - all depending on the group preference.
Membership is easy. If anyone wants in, they just declare on the thread, "I'm in." Anyone is free to join in at anytime even if they aren't declared members, as long as they have smoked the blend being discussed. But being a declared member gives you a voice in selecting future themes and menus.
Declared members can try as many or as few blends on the menu as they like, according to their time, taste, budget and prejudices. Some members will use the crawl as an opportunity to educate their palates in an organized fashion, others will be interested in trying the wide world of tobaccos. Some will simply compare notes on tobaccos they have in their inventory.
This is the crawl we planned for August at the other site. But we do one right here, as well if you're interested. Or start one up yourself based around your interests.

The PAX Tobacco Crawl - August Menu
Week 1: Mac Barren's Old Dark Fired - a PM forum favorite
Week 2: 3 Nuns - one of old classics. Maybe misterlowercase can find us an old tin to share. Know some exist)
Week 3: GL Pease Jackknife Plug (I LOVE this blend)
Week 4: Peterson's Perfect Plug

Reviews and Info on the tobaccos selected for the August crawl, from tobacco reviews.com.
The August Menu
Week 1: Mac Barren's Old Dark Fired - a PM forum favorite Flake or Ready Rubbed
A bold flake of dark-fired burleys in a well balanced unity with Flue-cured Virginias. This flake is Hot Pressed, meaning that during the pressing, heat is added by steam to the tobaccos which causes the tobacco to intensify the marrying process giving us a bolder tobacco. The robust, earthly flavour of the dark-fired burleys shines through in the taste, and you will experience a deeply satisfying smoke indeed.
Notes: One of the most fascinating parts about this tobacco that will be sure to confuse a lot of American pipe smokers is that, despite the fact that HH Old Dark Fired contains zero Latakia, Mac Baren still considers it an English because of the method used in its production, specifically the steam press.
Full Review: http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/5214/mac-baren-hh-old-dark-fired
Week 2: 3 Nuns - one of old classics
A blend of dark fired and sun cured tobaccos mixed with the finest Brazilian Lights to produce the unique flavor and mellow smoking characteristics for which Three Nuns is famous.
Notes: The Three Nuns coin tobacco was originally a creation of J & F Bell, dating back to the 19th century. A favorite of British authors (and friends) C.S. Lewis & J.R.R. Tolkien.
In the formula from Imperial Tobacco, Three Nuns was a VaPr mixture.
Pipe Tobacco Hall of Fame Inductee.
Full review: http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/1259/bells-three-nuns
Week 3: GL Pease Jackknife Plug

JackKnife Plug - dark-fired Kentucky leaf and ripe red Virginia tobaccos, with their deep, earthy flavors, are layered on a central core of golden flue-cured for a hint of bright sweetness, then pressed and matured in cakes, and finally cut into 2oz blocks. Slice it thick and rub it out for a ribbon cut, thin for a shag, or chop it into cubes. The choice is yours.
Notes: The first blend in the New World Series - JackKnife Plug was introduced in January, 2011.
From GL Pease: This one has been a long time coming. I’ve had more requests than I can count to make a plug, and to make some stronger blends. There’s something about playing with the tobacco, cutting it, rubbing it out, preparing it for smoking, that connects us more closely with the whole process. A plug like this can be sliced thick or thin, so the smoker gains complete control over the way it will pack and burn. It’s quite rewarding.
My favorite approach with JackKnife has been to slice it very thin, about 1/32″, and rub it completely into a fine shag. Filling the pipe carefully, not packing too tightly, results in a wonderful, cool, effortless smoke, and the fine cut seems to enhance the sweetness of the virginias and bring out the subtle, natural perfume of the dark-fired Kentucky leaf.
Full Review:
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/4195/g-l-pease-jackknife-plug
Week 4: Peterson's Perfect Plug
(I wouldn't have picked this blend. It is made from Virginias and Burleys but since it is lightly cased, tobacco reviews classifies it as an aromatic. But one of the benefits of the tobacco crawl is to be introduced to tobaccos that you aren't familiar with. I look forward to trying it out. -Pax)
This excellent plug tobacco comprises selected Virginia leaf from Africa and Brazil blended with Burley leaf from Malawi. The tobaccos are lightly cased before drying and pressing and then are heated and stored for 2 weeks before cutting. The result is a full bodied yet fruity blend, sure to appeal to the experienced pipesmoker.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/3526/peterson-petersons-perfect-plug