• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Dunhill Signed Range Churchill 2014

Cparker

My dogs don't smoke
I picked up a Dunhill Signed Range Churchill at a local brick & mortar store. The price was $15.60. I was interested in this cigar because I have recently smoked the Davidoff Nicaragua Diadema and it is one of my current favorites. Now, these cigars are expensive (to me) and are not an everyday smoke. But, fall is my favorite time of year, and I like to set aside time on a weekend fall afternoon to enjoy a nice smoke that it outside the range of my normal rotation.  Generally, I try to keep my price point is under $10, but in reality is ranges from $9 to $12. I currently smoke Oliva, Tatuaje, Don Pepin and Illusione. Lately, I have found that intermingling a mild or medium smoke helps keep my palate sharper, so I have been trying cigars that have a mild to medium profile. I reached for this cigar in this line of thought.

The Davidoff sells for about $19.00 a cigar, so I wanted to see if this cigar was a better deal. Based on the Dunhill touting this line using Nicaraguan tobacco, I thought it would be an interesting comparison to Davidoff based on each being a legacy brand and both touting Nicaraguan leaf.

My phone was not handy, so I did not take pictures. The label is crimson and silver, two lions around a "1907" shield, with the "The SIGNED Range" on the bottom of the label white on silver, indicating this is the revamped 2014 variety. The older version does not have the "the SIGNED Range" at the bottom of the ring label.

Blend:

Wrapper: Nicaraguan
Binder: African Cameroon
Filler: Dominican, Nicaraguan

Vitola:   Churchill 7 x 50

Construction:  Smooth wrapper, medium brown tone. Not veiny and having a firm feel. Very easy draw.

First 1/3

The cigar lights easily, with an immediate toasty nutty taste on the first draw. It does go out after about the first few draws, but this could have been my fault as i was collecting my Macbook and a cup of coffee to head to the deck. This cigar pairs well with black coffee. While it is marketed as a medium body, at first light it strikes me as more of a mild cigar. Upon relighting, it burns better. Notably no harshness or acidity. Very pleasant aroma as well.

Second 2/3

​The cigar burns well but slightly uneven. Ash is light grey, but somewhat loose. At this point, the cigar gains a little more upmph, brining into the tongue a little acidity but more of the flavor of Nicaraguan tobacco. Spice takes over from the toast nut flavor of the first 1/3. At this point, the cigar begins to live up to the medium profile it is given.

Final 3/3

The burn of the cigar has evened out. Even though I am drinking coffee, there are definite coffee tone to the taste unrelated to my beverage. A bit of oak-iness also hits my tongue. Thereis a mild bitterness that actually compliments the sweet into a balanced flavor. For a churchill vitola, it does not have the nicotine build up that I sometimes experience with a longer cigar.  The pepper is still present in the final third.The last 1/3 is a very pleasant, medium smoke. One compliment is that I numbed the cigar and it did not burn hot at the end.

Conclusions:

Was it worth what I paid ? I do not think so. At this price point, there are better cigars. But I do not mean this statement to say it is a bad cigar, just that for the money I believe there are better choices.

Would I smoke again ? Yes. If I found this cigar for under $12.00, I would let it age a bit as i think it would mellow very well. Some of the burn issues may be related to the freshness of the cigar. I am glad I tried it, but I will not rush out to purchase more. I do find some of the reviews of this cigar a bit inflated. My personal opinion is that Dunhill rebranded this cigar in response to Davidoff's current revamping of its line. 

Davidoff Nicaragua Diadema vs. Dunhill Signed Range Churchill = Davidoff Nicaragua hands down. I believe it is worth the extra $4 to buy the Nicaragua.

My view is this is a mild to medium cigar. It is good; it is not great. It is one of the first Dunhills I have smokes in many years. If Dunhill did not have the benefit of over a century of brand recognition, I am not sure this cigar would hold up against others at this price point. In my view the African Cameroon binder gives the cigar a tone that depreciates the Nicaraguan leaf flavor.If you are a Nicaraguan puro purist, this is not the cigar.

It is a nice cigar, but the brand carries a price the cigar does not support.

Best,

Cparker

Maybe a different pairing would help. Water or whiskey, maybe? I once smoked a Dunhill Aged Altamiras Tube with age that was a damn good mild cigar.

Davidoff .,. Yum. Expensive yum, though.

Dunhill Signed Range Churchill is a natural cigars with the hints of leather, chocolate and spice. This is one of my favorite cigar.