• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Need help/advice on first scotch purchase

bfreebern

Yada, Yada, Yada.
I need help, never have purchased Scotch before. I was gifted a bottle of Dalmore cigar malt 6+ years ago and it was ok.

There are way too many choices, in such a wide price range, that I need help. So here I am asking.

Me providing any guidance on this matter would be like the blind leading the blind....but I will at least post what I currently enjoy.  I bought a bottle of Balvenie 12 yr  and I really like it.

I'm not much of a scotch guy.  I just can't seem to get the taste for it just yet, but I do enjoy my Balvenie.  I think I got it around $70. 

It should be treated like when you first start with cigars. Sample around and see what you like. The prices for each bottle make that pretty expensive, though. Ideally you go to a bar and try a few samples, then get a bottle. But that requires a good bar nearby. :)

I don't think you can go wrong starting with a bottle of Balvenie, though. 

As a starter, it's very easy to recommend Balvenie "DoubleWood":

https://us.thebalvenie.com/our-range/doublewood-aged-12-years

From the web page;

The Balvenie DoubleWood is a 12 year old single malt which gains its distinctive character from being matured in two wood types. Over the period of maturation it is transferred from a traditional oak whisky cask to a first fill European oak sherry cask. Each stage lends different qualities to the resulting single malt ~ the traditional casks soften and add character, whilst the sherry wood brings depth and fullness of flavour.

The local Total Wine store has it for ~$50.00.  Yummy stuff.....

^ What they all said.  Balvenie Doublewood is a perfect starter Scotch . . . and one that you'll likely never tire of.  I always say that if you don't like Doublewood, Scotch probably just isn't for you.

From there you can try oakier, smokier, peatier, and a variety of special caskings as the mood and interest strikes you and as your palate leads you.

~Boar

Well how about that, I guess I did know what I was talking about.

From a new scotch guy I agree completely. I got the 17 double wood which was a bit pricy but damn it is good. I'd also highly recommend the Glenlevit 15 French Reserve. Outstanding stuff!

I liked glenlivet 12 as a starter scotch. I now have a bottle of the dalmore cigar malt, and glenmorangie Lasanta added to my bottles. Received a bottle of Cardhu from the wine liquor PIF from Jeff, this is along the lines of glenlivet as far as a "fruity" scotch goes. Let us know what you pick up! Enjoy the journey.

Starter scotch does not necessarily mean single malt.  There is a reason Johnnie Walker Black is the largest selling Premium scotch in the world. JW Green if you can find a bottle on the shelf - they discontinued it but there is still some around. As mentioned the Balvenie DoubleWood or the Signature 12, Glenmorangie LaSanta, Dalmore 12, Macallan 12 and of course there are a host of others you can't buy in the states. Doc's Aberlour takes the price point up but it is good stuff.

I was going to suggest the JW Green but wasn't sure if you wanted anything a little peaty. Ray suggested it to me years ago, and it wound up being my favorite in the JW line, by far. I have one bottle left, and am still looking for more.

bfreebern said:
I need help, never have purchased Scotch before.

Make sure you have all the info on the fake ID memorized. Little hint - memorize the zodiac sign of the birth date on the ID.

tomthirtysix said:
I need help, never have purchased Scotch before.

Make sure you have all the info on the fake ID memorized. Little hint - memorize the zodiac sign of the birth date on the ID.
Great idea. I memorized height/weight as well, just hope I can get by on my dashing good looks!