• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Yosemite Nat'l Park.........need recommendations.

SKYDIVNEKD

Call me "Walt Kowalski"
Folks, I have some friends heading west between July and September and want to go to Yosemite.  They are hoping to get some "local" recommendations for housing, sights, etc. (as opposed to just the hyped touristy stuff)

If any of y'all have been there or have some advice, I'd greatly appreciate your advice.

Thanks in advance.

Floyd T.

My parents used to have a cabin in Groveland, about 30 mins from the west gate of Yosemite.  It's a cute little town with a pretty interesting bar called The Iron Door Saloon.  Good place for a drink at the end of the evening.  Walking around the little town can be fun also, but it will only take a few hours for that (probably 2 at the most).

Lodging-wise, Pine Mountain Lake is a place to look for rentals, it's about 5 mins from The Iron Door.  Another place that is a good spot is Thousand Trails, it's about 5 mins from the west gate of Yosemite.  They have RV hook-ups, tent sites, and cabins available.  And it's right next to the river, so you can get your feet wet with a cigar (if that is their thing).

I'm not sure if there is anything outside the east gate, so I can't be much help there.

Thanks.  I'll pass that along to them.  They are fitness freaks, so no smoking  But they are outdoorsy, so they would probably like being around the river.

Thanks again. 

Floyd T.

The times I've gone we usually pit stop in Oakhurst for supplies.  It's a nice fairly small sized town with lots of stores, shops, and from what I hear, even a brewery.  From Oakhurst, which is right outside of Yosemite, you still have a good hour before you actually get into the park.  

If they have the gear, I'd highly recommend going to Yosemite in the off season.  It's an extremely well know park and heavily visited during the summer months.  There's Half Dome of course, probably the most well known feature of Yosemite.  I've never gone up Half Dome but from what I hear you need permits to do so now.  They used to not restrict people from going up it but since so many people do, they have restricted it to a certain amount per day due to all the visitors that come to the park.  Aside from that, there are tons of hiking trails and sights to see.  Yosemite is a gorgeous place and pretty much anywhere you go is bound to be beautiful.  If your friends are backpackers, I suggest them googling "Clouds Rest".  I've never done that trail myself but my friends have and the pictures I've seen are amazing.

Once they get in, I highly recommend just talking with the park rangers to get their input on sights to see.  The rangers at all the parks I've ever been to in CA are all amazingly welcoming and knowledgeable of the area and places to see.

Here are some pics I tool from a trip with friends in January 2014:
14k9l5j.jpg

rmiixf.jpg

1qq0ia.jpg

2dhs70w.jpg

2i91huh.jpg

sm7dyx.jpg

awwa61.jpg

20u92q9.jpg

2ptqgw0.jpg

Beautiful pics.  I know they are quite active, so I'm sure they'll love the trail walking idea.  Not sure about backpacking due to having  a small child with them.  Thanks for your time and info.  Much appreciated.

Floyd T.

I was in Yosemite in '99 and loved it. I remember there being a waterfall that you could walk up to. Beautiful area.