• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

5 Vegas Churchill

KayakinBoy

I was raised in the canebrake by an ol' mama lion
To quote CI:

" 5 Vegas is an exceptional smoke, rated the highest non-Cuban cigar in a Cigar Aficionado blind taste test.

There is almost universal praise for 5 Vegas. When it comes to return on the dollar, my customers can’t say enough good things about it. 5 Vegas is quietly one of the most consistently delicious and reasonably-priced cigars on the market. A robust and creamy medium to full-bodied taste, extensive aging, and a nice blend of Cuban seed Nicaraguan and Dominican long leaves, all wrapped in a dark and rich Sumatra wrapper leaf. A unique cigar at a reasonable everyday price - what can I say, I love this one! Cigar Aficionado has praised 5 Vegas repeatedly, and among the consistently strong ratings are a 90, 88, and 87.

You’ll love it - a premium smoke priced so you can enjoy every day."

CS-5V.jpg

YEAH RIGHT! Here we go...

First off, I've noticed when this cigar has been discussed, it's either loved or hated. I hated it. I had a very open mind going into this and I shoulda known better.

The wrapper, felt dry, almost like the brown paper towels in bathrooms at truckstops. This didn't stop me however, because I've had great cigars with rough wrappers.

I used a punch to cut the cigar and lit it up! The draw right off the bat was VERY HARSH! When I think of a spicy first draw, I think opus or Rocky Patel Vintage. No, not like that at alll. This cigar was very mean to my tongue. Within the first couple of puffs, it became hot. I didn't think it would be good from this point in.

Burn: While I thought at first it was gunna be an un-even burn, it wasn't. It was a little at first, but did a great job leveling itself out. The ash was nothing that great, and didn't hold on with a hoot. I feel (and I think others agree) that when ash doesn't hold on for long, construction is poor. This was proved right later on down the smoke.

about 2/5 of the way in, it mellowed out, and was not that bad. Then the harsh hit again. It did this threw the 4/5 mark of the cigar. Towards the end the cigar, litterally, came apart in my hand. The wrapper just started to un-twist and it just got harsh again. I could not finish it. This cigar has no right to be scored.

Don't go near them... IMHO. :angry:

Thanks for the review. That descriptions sounds more Thompson than CI though...

Thanks for the review KB....

$hit.....I just received a sampler from CBid.... 5 Vegas and 5 Vegas Gold

Oh well...... :(

Copied straight from CI. Maybe i got a fluke, but that thing was just nasty1

I don't have enough experience with 5Vegas to know if what you descibe is characteristic of them (I've had one very old corona, which was great). But what you describe also sounds a lot like a very dry cigar.

How long did it take to smoke?

MonkeyK said:
I don't have enough experience with 5Vegas to know if what you descibe is characteristic of them (I've had one very old corona, which was great). But what you describe also sounds a lot like a very dry cigar.

[snapback]174468[/snapback]​

Me too. Sounds dried out. I've had a few 5 Vegas and all have been pretty good. I'm not sure about the 90+ ratings, but not a rocket. IMO an 87-88.

But, hey. That's why there is variety.

M. Gipson

gawntrail said:
MonkeyK said:
I don't have enough experience with 5Vegas to know if what you descibe is characteristic of them (I've had one very old corona, which was great).  But what you describe also sounds a lot like a very dry cigar.

[snapback]174468[/snapback]​

Me too. Sounds dried out. I've had a few 5 Vegas and all have been pretty good. I'm not sure about the 90+ ratings, but not a rocket. IMO an 87-88.

But, hey. That's why there is variety.

M. Gipson
[snapback]174527[/snapback]​

That's where I'm at as well - not the top of my list, but certainly not at the bottom. I've got a few in my humi to see what age will do to them. It seemed to me that the only problem I had with mine was they were a bit young. I'm hoping that putting age on these will change the character just a bit to put them in the 90 rating. We'll see...

I guess this means I can't too any of these into the Knob Creek pass - DAYUMMMM!!! (j/k brother - wouldn't do that to you...) Now - I do have some Don Baretto's.... :whistling:

it's been in my humi for awhile, and the rest aren't dry... I'll have to try another I guess... ???

Thanks for the review Kayak - I'll will definately try this one; however, these type of trials are quite difficult since it's very difficult for me to stray from the Cohiba's.

Bret

Tried the regular Corona and Double Corona's and actually liked them quite a bit. I agree with the other posts; probably not "90+" but IMHO a long way from a "dog rocket".

Regards - B.B.S.

Interesting. I just fired one of these up about an hour ago having not read your review. Now I wish I would have. :( You are right on as far as I'm concerned. I thought it was nasty. It tasted bitter on my lips and even worse after I lit it. I didn't even make it 1/2 way through before I tossed the vile tasting turd. Maybe I too just got a dud, but I don't know if I'd ever go near one again.