• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ditch the tube?

e-sticks

What's everyone's opinion on storing tubed cigars (specifically, Forbidden X)? Leave 'em in the tube? Pop the cap and store the open tube in a humi? Ditch the tube?

I take mine out of the tube but I would say if you are going to keep them in the tube take the cap off.

This is a quote from Fuente Forbidden X website

According to Carlos Fuente, Jr., the blend of aromas of this opulent cigar exudes so much pleasure that it should be forbidden to smoke except on the rarest of occasions. To protect this precious gem and prevent the escape of natural oils, a patented glass chamber hand blown in the south of France is sealed to perfection. Inside, a custom Humidipak humidor replicates the tropical climate of its heavenly birthplace, Chateau de la Fuente.

Essentially, the tube is a self contained humidor designed to maintain the Dominican climate for 1-10 years. Mine may stay in the tube for a year but I don't think I'll be able go much longer than that.

My tubos cigars, most specifically the Romeo y Julieta Clemenceaus, actually maintain the best "feel" to the wrapper than any of my other cigars that are in the humi outside of tubes. By "feel" as obviously mean the oily texture and sheen to the wrapper.

UTKhodgy said:
My tubos cigars, most specifically the Romeo y Julieta Clemenceaus, actually maintain the best "feel" to the wrapper than any of my other cigars that are in the humi outside of tubes. By "feel" as obviously mean the oily texture and sheen to the wrapper.
[snapback]203505[/snapback]​

do you store them in your humi? if so, tube caps on or off?

e-sticks said:
UTKhodgy said:
[snapback]203505[/snapback]​

do you store them in your humi? if so, tube caps on or off?
[snapback]203507[/snapback]​

Caps on. Best thing about the tubos as well, you can go golfing with several tubos and the last one you smoke 3 hrs into the round tastes just like the first one one the way to the golf course!

preembargo said:
This is a quote from Fuente Forbidden X website

According to Carlos Fuente, Jr., the blend of aromas of this opulent cigar exudes so much pleasure that it should be forbidden to smoke except on the rarest of occasions. To protect this precious gem and prevent the escape of natural oils, a patented glass chamber hand blown in the south of France is sealed to perfection. Inside, a custom Humidipak humidor replicates the tropical climate of its heavenly birthplace, Chateau de la Fuente.

Essentially, the tube is a self contained humidor designed to maintain the Dominican climate for 1-10 years. Mine may stay in the tube for a year but I don't think I'll be able go much longer than that.
[snapback]203486[/snapback]​

I beleive the above information only applies to the "Cigar in the Bottle" cigars.

"Cigar in the Bottle has a custom designed Humidpak
that capture the perfect climate and keeps the
Forbidden X cigar fresh in the bottle for 1-10 years."

The "hand blown" glass they speak of is the Calvados bottle and not the tube the FFOX Forbiddens come in. The cigar that's in "Cigar in the Bottle" is a FF ForbiddenX and the cigar in the gift set is a FF OpusX ForbiddenX and does not have the humidipak.

I stand corrected. Thanks Seamus.

I'll still leave them in the tube w/cap on.

I have some Siglo VI's and R&J Churchills that I've left in the tubes but the Forbiddens seemed a little dry when I took them out so I left them out. That plastic stopper seems to be air tight. That I don't know but if they are permeable I would likely put them back.

I've got a siglo, opus a (coffin), and my forbidden x in tubes. I find keeping these in the orginal package seems to "seal in the flavor more." I've taken opus and put it in the humi with and without cello, and the opus in the cello just smells like opus. Ages slower but yet helps seal the flavor.

Just do one of each and try it in 5 years.

I think I will do 1 each but I doubt I will make it 5 years. I may keep the 2 I have out and get 2 more and keep them in the tubes.

I keep mine in the humi inside the tube with the cap on. Like Kayak said, they'll age slower.

And, no matter how tight the cap, I believe air will eventually penetrate the cap.

ree

Why do you have the same link in your profile as KevinWHoecker that was trolling the other day?

Ree

ree ree robusto said:
Why do you have the same link in your profile as KevinWHoecker that was trolling the other day?

Ree
[snapback]203744[/snapback]​
Here's why...

As for the question of the tubes... thanks for all the responses - it's definitely given me some ideas. My only question about storing a cigar in a tube, long-term, is airflow. Wouldn't you eventually "pollute" the cigar with the expelled by-products of aging? Or do you think enough air permeates the cap (which seems doubtful to me)?

I would say leave it in the tube for a year or so then take it out and stick it in a humi. I don't know if the by products would have much of an effect.

I ditch them. I thought they just came out with a new study on them and the metal does change the taste overtime. But then thats just a study and is not a confirmed deal. Either way I would not keep the tube just as I would not keep Acids with my regulars.