• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tatuaje Cojonu 2003

Mr Peat

Rich Perelman, "Loren you have a Godlike Presence.
Ok..I smoked the Tatuaje Cojonu 2003 tonight. Unfortunately, I do not know much about this cigar. Well, Smokyballs told me who makes it, but I do not know jack about its origin on the filler, binder, wrapper. Ok, I guess its 6 1/2" x 52 ring guage. I looked that up to verify.

The wrapper was of in great shape. If I remember right, it looked like it had a 4 cap. Yes it had 3, but there was one that covered under the last one about 1/4 around the cigar. I didnt see any veins and this cigar was beautifully constructed. I was expecting a "real" kick from what I had seen others say in chat here. I put the cigar in my mouth just to dampen the cap and it had a nice, little hint of spice off the taste. It had a medium brown color to the wrapper. It wasnt too dark nor light.

I then warmed the end and then slowly fired this bad boy up. My first impression was that it was a mild cigar throughout the first 1/2 of it. I did pick up on some transitions that the taste started to move to another level that it wasnt at before. There was plenty of smoke off each draw which it seemed to be perfect in that aspect. Where some cigars you struggle to get a puff and others you just take a puff, then 1/2 the cigar is gone from the easy draw. This cigar was the ideal draw for me. Yummy...It burned nicely all the way down till when I left Outlaw in KC and let like the last 1 1/2" die out while I got something to eat. At this point, the cigar really moved up several notches, but still not strong. I'd say it was at medium strength at this point of the cigar, but was excellent throughout the whole smoke.

After I let it die out and was on the road driving, it was a little hard trying to keep the cigar burning perfect. But that wasnt cuz of the construction at all. The ash at times was pretty white/greyish. There was a couple of spots that it became dark, but not many. The smoke wasnt over powering in the sense it didnt make my eyes water and burn my nostrils. I was tired, so this was a good sign that it didnt irritate me like some due when I am tired.

Over all impression with everything I look for in a cigar, I'd give this bad boy a 9 out of 10 scale. I wouldnt hesitate in buying another one it was just that damn good. I would have smoked the last 1/2" till I burnt my finger tips. But driving at night and doing that isnt exactly safe, so I sacrificed the last 1/2". I didnt get any funky taste either from the beginning, middle, or end.

I hope this is a proper assessment of this stick. With that said, I have to give a thanks to all that posted about it which made me want to try one. Plus a kudos to Smokyballs for talking me into getting the last one out of the box. :love:

Nice review! It's a Nicaraguan puro (100% Nicaraguan tobacco, including the wrapper) grown from first-generation cuban seed tobacco, blended by Pepin Garcia and rolled in Miami. Pepin worked in Cuba for Castro as his right hand man in the factories until he defected at a rolling event 3 years ago or so.

BTW, the other Tatuajes, while different blends, definitely do not suck either. RC 184s, Especiales, etc, etc. Good stuff.

That was a spot on obsevation. The Tatuaje is becoming my favorite domestic cigar.

Keep the reviews coming brother...it was a real treat reading yours.
-Rob

Oh yeah...It burned real cool in the mouth as well. I didnt have to baby sit it to correct the burn either. One of the best burns I have seen in many years.

More I think about it, the more I want another one. :D

Thanks for the extra info Moki. Smokyballs told me he was Castro's right hand man for cigars and all, but the rest, I didnt know about. Now I do. Woot!

I will try to get more coming and I am contemplating on smoking the Gurka Legend Smokyballs recommended to me. I havent had any Gurkas so this could be a real treat. But to smoke or not to smoke, that is the question. :whistling:

I'm at the club smoking a ligero wrapper Cojonu watchin' football and doing some work. Man do I love these smokes.

Hello all,
With a bit of luck I recently managed to snag a cabinet of the Cojonu 2003. After three weeks of humidor time, I decided tonight was the night to burn one of these impressive looking sticks.

cojonu2003.jpg

It was everything I hoped for, a fantastic aroma and a tremendous amount of body without being overwhelming.

Thanks to all who pointed these out to me. Can't wait to smoke another!

Just got back from Charleston, SC. I was directed to the Tinderbox on Meeting Pl. I had a nice time smoking with very nice older gentlemen (mostly retired, one being a state judge) and one of them was smoking this. I managed to score to sticks that I just put in my humi. I will let them rest and maybe try them out a couple of weeks from now. From what I observed and what the gentleman described--this smoke is SMOKIN':)

Joe

Good review Mr. Peat. In my most very humble opinion, the best damn NC by a mile. :thumbs:

I'm hoping to find one of those this weekend and a God of Fire. I'll let ya know.

BTB - Charlston is a great place to find some great cigars by way of gifts from the local characters.

A question for anyone who has tried both, how does this cigar compare with the Gran Cojonu in terms of flavor profile??

These are among my favorite smokes. I fluctuate between these and the Havana Cazadores, with Cabaiguans for earlier in the day. I still have a handfull of the original ones with the Viso wrapper but the ones with the ligero wrapper have been fantastic. As for the difference between the gran cojonu and the 2003, I love the way the gran cojonu looks but the ring guage is a little large for my liking. From its appearance, you'd think its going to be a strong smoke but actaully its much more tame than the 2003. I've found that with most of the larger ringed smokes. I think the air/cigar mix helps cool the smoke. I personally love em both. A little more of a coffee-ish taste with the gran cojonu and not as strong of a finish. They(the gran cojonu) are very similar to the large cigar rolled by Pepin for Outlaw cigars. Both great smokes if you have the time.

These are among my favorite smokes. I fluctuate between these and the Havana Cazadores, with Cabaiguans for earlier in the day. I still have a handfull of the original ones with the Viso wrapper but the ones with the ligero wrapper have been fantastic. As for the difference between the gran cojonu and the 2003, I love the way the gran cojonu looks but the ring guage is a little large for my liking. From its appearance, you'd think its going to be a strong smoke but actaully its much more tame than the 2003. I've found that with most of the larger ringed smokes. I think the air/cigar mix helps cool the smoke. I personally love em both. A little more of a coffee-ish taste with the gran cojonu and not as strong of a finish. They(the gran cojonu) are very similar to the large cigar rolled by Pepin for Outlaw cigars. Both great smokes if you have the time.

Thanks for the comparison. I have not tried the 2003 but I am very pleased with the Gran Cojonu. Your point about the air mix seems to bear out with my experience also. Either case, they both sound like outstanding smokes. Thanks!! :cool:

A question for anyone who has tried both, how does this cigar compare with the Gran Cojonu in terms of flavor profile??

The Gran Cojonus are not nearly as interesting, IMHO -- they don't pack the punch that the Cojonus do... and I'm not a fan of the huge ring either.

The Gran Cojonus are not nearly as interesting, IMHO -- they don't pack the punch that the Cojonus do... and I'm not a fan of the huge ring either.

I would concur with both Moki and Goalee. I have a few sticks remaining from a box of Gran Cojonu and I much prefer the 2003s. While you would think the GC is going to be a very strong smoke, it is much more timid. A good smoke, certainly, but just not as complex, developed or even as flavorful as the 2003s.

Did they release the Cojonu 2003 in more than one wrapper variety?