• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

decanting whisky

smallg

cigars and computars
Is it common practice to decant most bottles that you plan on consuming entirely? I saw a whisky decanter set at a custom glass boutique this weekend that piqued my interest (might make santa aka the wife's list). Any thought on decanting and its advantages/disadvantages? Is it recommended to pour most but not all as to avoid sediment when decanting?

My searches are comin' up pretty empty. Thanks in advance. :)

For most scotch there is no need to decant however, once in a while a dram does improve after sitting a few minutes. I've never really heard of decanting a whole bottle like is done with wine. Also, almost all scotch and bourbon doesn't have any dregs to worry about.

Never heard of decanting whisky either. Just seems wrong. But what do I know.

Decanting? I think the only reason to put it in a decanter is for style. Although, some of the bottles are just that. I just pour from the bottle.

I have some nice crystal decanters with silver nameplates hanging from chains that I put spirits in.

I don't do it fo flavor, I do it because they look nice on the top of our hutch. :)

Thanks for the responses. As AVB stated, whisky/bourbon do not have dregs to worry about. I wasn't sure if decanting was a matter of good practice taste wise or merely just asthetics.
We have some new furniture coming in and I bet a set would look great on the buffet.

I think if you have a spirit(s) that you imbibe regularly there is nothing wrong with decanting. It does look good and many decanters poor better then bottles.