• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

cigar storage

hectortmc

I have a question about wether you should leave the wrapper on or off when you store cigars in humidifyer? i have gotten some very good info from you on Cigar Pass maybe you can help me out on this one. :whistling:

how would you remove the wrapper? all kidding aside, I keep the cello on if they come with one.

Some leave it on, some off. It is all a matter of personal preference.

There is no right or wrong on this one.

I leave my cello's on if they come with the cigar. I prefer most to store by the box.

I used to take the cello off but decided to recently start leaving them on as another layer of protection just in case.

Orangeman thanks for the info was a great site.
Firem up smokem slow
Hectortmc :whistling:

I leave the cello on because I have several different kinds of cigars in a small humidor.

You say to-may-to and I say to-mah-to. :D

Leave 'em on for more protection from physical knocking about (if you tend to move sticks around) and for slower aging. Take 'em off if you like looking at glistening, delicious, naked sticks.

You and your cigars should wear protection.

Doc.

I like to mix and match. I'll pull an Opus wrapper off and put it on a WOAM, and vice versa. Makes interesting smokes!

You should take the cello off! If you don't you can get this plastic smell in your (footlocker) humidor. {This is not caused by the red plastic caps on Viper's bead tubes, as is commonly thought} but rather by cello.

Cello can also absorb massive quantities of moisture, thereby robbing your cigars of precious humidity, and cause wild fluctuations in your humidity, causing you to have to wrap your (footlocker) humidor in 4 layers of weatherstripping to maintain semi-consistent humidity levels. Between 51% and 79% is adequate for all cigars.

I did a salt calibration test with my cello. Here's how.

Put a tablespoon of salt in a small cap and add distilled water to it until it's a pasty consistency. Put it in a tupperware container. Add exactly 70 cello wrappers. Seal tightly. Check every 2 hours for a plastic smell. After two or three days, ALL 70 of the cellos will still be there, as will the salt in the cap.

The salt is now basically now unusable when it dries out, unless you want to provide a salt lick for the mice in your pumphouse.

:cool: :p :whistling:

(sorry, I just couldn't resist.)

<Tumbleweed the cynical>

Tumbleweed said:
You should take the cello off! If you don't you can get this plastic smell in your (footlocker) humidor. {This is not caused by the red plastic caps on Viper's bead tubes, as is commonly thought} but rather by cello.

Cello can also absorb massive quantities of moisture, thereby robbing your cigars of precious humidity, and cause wild fluctuations in your humidity, causing you to have to wrap your (footlocker) humidor in 4 layers of weatherstripping to maintain semi-consistent humidity levels. Between 51% and 79% is adequate for all cigars.

I did a salt calibration test with my cello. Here's how.

Put a tablespoon of salt in a small cap and add distilled water to it until it's a pasty consistency. Put it in a tupperware container. Add exactly 70 cello wrappers. Seal tightly. Check every 2 hours for a plastic smell. After two or three days, ALL 70 of the cellos will still be there, as will the salt in the cap.

The salt is now basically now unusable when it dries out, unless you want to provide a salt lick for the mice in your pumphouse.

:cool: :p :whistling:

(sorry, I just couldn't resist.)

<Tumbleweed the cynical>
[snapback]271234[/snapback]​
LOL, where is William Clinton when you need him?

"I read it somewhere on the internet..."

That naked cigars touching over a long period of time will help the aging by allowing the flavors/oils (whatever) to transfer.

Is this true?

If it is true, should I only allow the same brand/types of cigars to touch each other when naked? ???

Pompous Pugs said:
"I read it somewhere on the internet..."

That naked cigars touching over a long period of time will help the aging by allowing the flavors/oils (whatever) to transfer.

Is this true?

If it is true, should I only allow the same brand/types of cigars to touch each other when naked? ???
[snapback]272327[/snapback]​
Well maybe if left untouched for many years I could see the oils marrying. Although, there is something to be said about leaving cigars untouched in their respected boxes. The bouqet(smell) of cigars sitting in their own box with their own kind unmolested for a long time is unmatched! Plus, I believe that is the difference between an aged cigar that is fantastic, and an aged cigar sitting in the humidor that is just pretty darn good. Again, my opinion.

Emo

I am aging a box of cigars that came in cello, and removed the cello and let the cigars sit in their original box. I like to keep the cello on my cigars that sit on the top tray. from what i understand,opening the humidor and the changes in humidity affect naked cigars much more than cello ones. I keep the cello on the top just as a precaution, but them again, the ones on the top tray don't stay there very long!