• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Petite Tatuaje

Strayvector

Like what you smoke, smoke what you like
It's been about a week since I've had cigar because of the flu. Yesterday, everything finally cleared up and it was time to smoke one. I didn't have much time to smoke one so I need a small cigar and I wanted to continue my tastings of NCs. The cigar I chose for this occasion was the petite Tatuaje gifted to me by a fine BOTL.

I'm sure most of you have heard about the Tatuaje being a Nicaraguan puro made from first generation Cuban seed tabacco. The cigar is also rolled Cuban style with a nice triple cap on it. It had a beautiful light brown wrapper with a nice firm construction. One very surprising aspect of this cigar was its aroma. It had a very distinctly Cuban smell to it. Very different from any other NCs that I have smoked. It lacked the characteristic sweet smell that most other NCs have, instead it had that barnyard smell that seems to accompany Cuban cigars.

The cap came of nicely. I took a pre-light draw and was greeted with a slightly firm draw accompanied with a suble cinnamon aroma. It lit quite easily and the initial draw provided a straight forward tabacco flavor with some earthy undertones and loads of smoke. The draw stayed a little tight throughout the cigar, but was still in the acceptable rance. The cigar developed some peppery sensation during the first half with the spicyness mellowing during the second half. A third of the way, it developed a nice coffee flavor and ended with a burnt chocolate taste in the final inch and had a medium finish. There was some bitterness to the taste, but not enough to detract from all that was good about the cigar. Its ash was loose with a salt and pepper color. Burn was little uneven in the first third, but then evened out nicely.

This was a good small smoke. A little bitter and harsh at times, but not enough to detract from the excellent flavors I encountered. It had surprising complexity for a cigar so small and is perhaps the closest I've come to to that Cuban "twang" from an NC. Definitely a cigar worth revisiting once I've completed my sampling of all the other NCs in my humidor.

Thanks for the experience Gandolf.

Nice review.

I like those little guys when I don't have or want to spend much time to smoke (read cold weather).

Glad you enjoyed it :)

Nice review Sam. Glad to hear you're feeling on the mend.

I've noticed that quite particular smell from the Cojonu and J21 as well. They certainly aspire to Cuban-ness and it sounds like the petite comes quite close to achieving that. From your description, it sounds like it would age well. What do you think?

Wilkey

Ginseng said:
Nice review Sam. Glad to hear you're feeling on the mend.

I've noticed that quite particular smell from the Cojonu and J21 as well. They certainly aspire to Cuban-ness and it sounds like the petite comes quite close to achieving that. From your description, it sounds like it would age well. What do you think?

Wilkey
[snapback]275491[/snapback]​

I haven't had too much experience with aging, but this cigar certainly seems like it would improve with age. I'm sure that the bitterness and harshness would be tempered with some rest time.

edited for mispeling

Thanks for the review! Glad to hear you're feeling better, this is that time of year. Sounds like that cigar would be better after a little time on it, being a small cigar it wouldn't need as long as some bigger ones. Sounds like a good cigar that needs some nappy time :). Glad you enjoyed it.

Jason

I would agree with your observations. The tatuajes I have had do remind me of cuban cigars. More so than any other NC I've had.

I enjoyed the couple that I have tried thus far. This sounds like it is no exception. Thanks for the great review. :thumbs: