• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Furniture Cabinet Humidor

Raden

Just wanted to share my experience with turning an entertainment cabinet in to a humidor. I bought this cabinet on clearance from a furniture store. It appears that it was from an entertainmet center, and this peice held the componets for the audio system.

Of course it was not air tight and being made of particle board with plastic wood veneer, it would soon fall apart from the humidity. I have read many warning about turning furniture into a humidor and figured there had to be a way to do it. I decided to effectivly make it a coolerdor by lining it with plexi-glass.

I took exact measurments of the inside and had plexi-glass cut to those dimentions. With plexi-glass glue (it melts the plexi-glass together) I assemble an airtight barrier inside of the cabinet. The cabinet door closes against the edge of the plexi-glass and I used weather stripping to seal it.

I glued small plexi-glass blocks inside to hold the wire shelves. I currently use it to age my cigars and as long time storage at 70%. I use a combination of an Oasis XL, beads, and credos to keep the humidity constant.

I mostly was concerned about the plastic smell, but like a cooler, the smell disappeared and now I only smell spanish cedar and cigars. Also like a cooler I have to open the door to exchange the air once in a while.

The cost was minimal compaired to a production humidor of the same size. I maybe spent $80 for the cabinet, and $60 for the plexiglass and cost of cutting it at a plastics store.

humidor12qg.jpg

humidor28fm.jpg

humidoropendoors5ud.jpg

atuck said:
So where are the cigars? ???
[snapback]279299[/snapback]​

Took them out to move the Humidor.

Most of them are from CBid through the years, I have more than my share of dog rockets left over from the boom. I am currently stocking up on ISOM's and just got some five packs from CBid of CAO, A. Fuente, and "Cinco" Vegas.

cigarspooltable7mr.jpg

cheapies1ke.jpg

ryjopenbox0xp.jpg

Congrats, that is a first class conversion there. Enjoy your new cabinet!

That really turned out to be a really nice looking humidor. Love watching people use their imagination and come up with stuff like this.

Excellent work. Love the pictures. Maybe when you fill it with island treats one more picture. I'd be happy to come over and take you picture next to it for you. We can work out compensation while I am there.

Great looking conversion, and has me thinking about trying to do one, too. Can I ask where you found the plexiglass, and how hard is it to get it cut and glued?

Thanks in advance!!

Great job! :thumbs:

I'll bet it will work out just fine for you. Please be sure to keep us posted on how it works out for you over time.

Very impressive!!! :thumbs:

Why did you use wire racks instead of vented cedar shelves? Just curious.

I am sure this will bring you many years of excellent storage!!!

GREAT JOB!!!
If I had the patience to do that, I could save myself two grand on the Cooled2000!

That is great!

I always like to see someone take something that was made for 1 purpose and convert it to suit their needs. The ingenuity of people never ceases to impress me.

Nice work!