• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tatuaje la Maravilla review

moki

el Presidente
tatuaje_maravilla.jpg

Tatuaje la Maravilla (5 5/8" x 46)

This past Sunday, I was treated to the privilege of smoking a prototype version of an upcoming cigar blend/vitola from Tatuaje: la Maravilla. Tatuaje (which means "tattoo" in Spanish) is a favorite boutique cigar maker of mine, started by Pete Johnson of the Grand Havana Room.

For the various cigars in the Tatuaje line, they use tobacco grown on small farms in Nicaraguan, blended by ex-Cuban factory manager Pepin Garcia, and rolled by Cuban ex-pat rollers in Florida. The results are exquisite puros that are well-constructed, offer a reasonable range of tastes from line to line, and deserve your attention if you are a lover of the leaf.

The Maravilla (which means "the miracle" or "the wonder" depending on the colloquial Spanish) is a Punch Punch-sized cigar at 5 5/8" x 46. The wrapper on this prototype is dark oily, and flawless, with the wrapper covering the foot of the cigar, similar to Tatuaje's "Gran Cojonu".

The viso wrapper brings a pleasant spicy tingling sensation to the lips, and the cigar itself is extremely well balanced between deep, rich flavors and peppery spice. While the blend in the cigar itself is in theory similar to the Cojonu in taste, to me it was earthier, exhibiting the pleasant semi-sweet hints of dark chocolate and raw cocoa bean, with unique undertones of roasted chestnuts.

The cigar doesn't have the same nuttiness/chocolate/coffee extremes that you might find in the Padron 1964/1926 lines, but it does lean that way more than other Tatuajes I've had. Perhaps this is a result of the unique fermentation process that is used on the cigars: they are rolled, then wrapped in foil to seal in the flavors, and aged in that form, similar to how some Cuban cigars are aged wrapped in burlap.

All in all, I'm impressed with this cigar. The cigar itself is firmly medium-bodied: you aren't going to be overwhelmed by the spice, but nor are you going to need to work hard to taste what the cigar has to offer. The cigar also offers an indeterminable taste overtone that I'll just have to characterize as "Tatuaje tobacco"; it's quite pleasant, and unique to their cigars.

If you've enjoyed the Tatuaje Cojonu, you will enjoy this cigar as well, it is a smaller, earthier-tasting cousin that doesn't disappoint.

Sounds great! Thanks for the review, Moki. :thumbs:

It looks good and I really like that size cigar.
I am thinking that this cigar would benefit from a couple years of aging.

Thanks for the review. :thumbs:

Thanks for the review and the info Moki. I can't wait to try these.

Fyodor said:
Thanks for the review and the info Moki. I can't wait to try these.
[snapback]285346[/snapback]​

It's my understanding that these cigars will be available from only one vendor, and should be available in March or thereabouts.

Has anyone from Va been to the store listed on the Tatuaje page, Private Stock in Richmond? Just wondering if they do in fact get these and how often. TIA.

CYG

Thanks for the review Moki.

We did good with the Cojonu and less so with the J21. Wilkey did a review on the J21. My impression of the Cojonu was a medium to full flavored cigar that has a similar profile to a RyJ Churchill to me, but with a hint of vanilla/cocoa. Nice moderate spice and some complexity without being overbearing. The Tatuaje line is a definite must smoke for those of you looking for a cigar with a moderate bite!

tone-ny said:
Thanks for the review Moki.

We did good with the Cojonu and less so with the J21. Wilkey did a review on the J21. My impression of the Cojonu was a medium to full flavored cigar that has a similar profile to a RyJ Churchill to me, but with a hint of vanilla/cocoa. Nice moderate spice and some complexity without being overbearing. The Tatuaje line is a definite must smoke for those of you looking for a cigar with a moderate bite!
[snapback]285388[/snapback]​

Yeah the Cojonus are my favorites of the line to be sure. I think I've not had a J21 actually (I have some, just haven't smoked 'em). The Gran Cojonus I was not nearly as partial to as the Cojonus either.

If you want the Maravillas, you should call Kevin @ Leaf and Ale... http://www.leafandale.com/ (that's where the sample came from)