• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Scotch recommendations for a beginner

alphaiii

Recently, I've been delving into Irish whiskey a bit, and realized that whiskey doesn't have to come from corn, rye and/or wheat for me to enjoy it. So far, the two I've enjoyed most are Black Bush and Bushmill's 10 Year Malt (both are matured in sherry casks, although the 10 year single malt is also matured in used bourbon barrels).

I haven't tried many Irish yet, but I've already begun to get curious about Scotch as well. I've tried Scotch on 2 occasions, and I honestly couldn't tell you what I tried. I know the one I kind of liked, and the other I didn't at all (big help huh?). What I can tell you is that the one I did NOT like was a much smokier tasting drink.

This has led me to believe that I may actually enjoy Scotch, provided it's not a heavily peated whiskey. I did a little digging on here and get the general impression that I'd be better off exploring Speyside or Highland (particularly from the Southern Highlands) first.

So aside from McClelland's, Speyburn, and Speyside listed in the "everyday pours" thread, what are some other recommended starting Scotches, keeping in mind that I definitely want to stay under $30 (this limits the list I'm sure), and even better is I can stay around $20 like those listed above.

With so many choices out there, I don't really know where to start.

One of the problems is that a decent inexpensive scotch may not be the best for a beginner. Keeping in your budget, Speyside or the McClelland's Highland, are most likely the best bet IMO. If you can go to $35 then Balvenie Doublewood would be a good choice. YMMV

Depending on your budget, you maight also want to go with one fo the 12 years from one of the super-fmaous big-boy distillers, such as Macalan or Glenlivet. Personally, I think the Glenliver 12 year is a wonderful way to start off in scotch. Adding a teaspoon of water to two fingers of scotch takes down the alcohol-wall that stops many fresh palates from enjoying scotch, in my experience. It opens you up to the possibilities of all the wnderful flavors that are waiting just on the other side of that thing that makes scotch an "acquired taste" (not that I beleive it is). Stay away from Islay scotches (you probably know that already) as that is the region famous for it's heavily peated whisky.
Enjoy the discovery process.

edit::::Sometimes I am an idiot and don't read the whole post. Just noticed you want to stay under 30 bucks. Listen to AVB, and ignore me.

Or, go to a bar with a decent selection, and get to try 3!

Thanks for the replies.

AVB, what is your opinion of the Dalmore 12 Year? It seems to be pretty well liked.

As for the Balvenie Doublewood, I'll keep my eyes open when I'm out. I'd like to try it before dropping $35 on a bottle. Then again, if I find it at a good price the next time I make a trip to Montgomery County, I might give it a shot.

The Dalmore 12 is a good scotch too at about the same price point as the Balvenie DoubleWood. It is finished in Sherry casks which gives it the darker color.

I gotta pony up a recommendation for McClelland's Lowland.

From AVB's post I picked up a bottle and it only lasted a week and it was my first foray into scotch. Cracked the seal on another just last weekend.

Really nice pour. $17.99/bottle across the street at my booze emporium.

I like it in a glass with just enough ice (1-2 small cubes) to get it below ambient temp. It also waters it down a little so you can enjoy all the flavors.

You cant go wrong with this stuff.

Im not well healed enough to partake in the high dollar stuff. Besides they probably wouldn't taste good chased with Bud. :D

Russell

When you're ready to splurge *just* a bit, and still want to get solid value for your money..

I recommend the Macallan 10 year Cask Strength.

It stands up to water Very Well, is about 120 proof or so, blended between 10 & 12 year old sherry casks..

It will let you taste the 'Full Macallan' taste without getting a 2nd mortgage. About 45$ but it LASTS. Honestly, drinking it neat, a bottle will last & last & last.

Teaspoons are about right, for shots. ;) But it tastes GREAT.

When you're ready to splurge *just* a bit, and still want to get solid value for your money..

I recommend the Macallan 10 year Cask Strength.

It stands up to water Very Well, is about 120 proof or so, blended between 10 & 12 year old sherry casks..

It will let you taste the 'Full Macallan' taste without getting a 2nd mortgage. About 45$ but it LASTS. Honestly, drinking it neat, a bottle will last & last & last.

Teaspoons are about right, for shots. ;) But it tastes GREAT.
I bought a bottle of this today for 48.99. It's everything you say it is. I've drank a lot of diffrent sub-fifty dollar bottles of scotch and this without a doubt is the most approachable. I'm in love with this stuff.

Doc.