• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How do you light it?

USMC600RR

There's plenty of ways to light a cigar...bic, butane torch, flameless, matches, zippo, etc. What is your preferred method?

I usually use matches if I can, but really my method of lighting only seems to affect the taste of the first few drags, so if I have to I'll use a lighter, and I don't get all upset like some of the "purists" I know.

I love my Dupont XTend torch :love: , the one issue I have with it is not being able to see the flame on a bright day. However, I am one with the lighter, so it is not much of an issue. Although, the more I use matches the more I like them.

I had been using the hole punch, but recently went to cutting off the tip with a guillotine cutter. I find it gives me more smoke, but I switch back and forth. I just recently got a Colibri lighter and my father-in-law (man, I'm nice to him!) a twin torch lighter I will give to him sunday. The butane is odorless and it just takes too long to light with a match, especially if I'm outside. I usually use a box of matches to do so. I think I want one now, as a matter of fact...

I have used a number of different lighters both cheap and expensive.
IMO, by far, hands down,the Blazer pocket torch is the best lighter
money can buy. It holds more butane than any lighter and has never
failed me. It is also idiot proof. Well, they say child proof but
I have had a lot of fun getting people to light it up!

blazer.jpg

Brian

I'm with Brian on this one. My trusty Blazer has served me since the late 90's. It has never failed me but then I use only Vector fuel (which you can get at the WIlliams and Sonoma stores in the malls).

It holds a ton of fuel and is easy to use. Like the Dupont, the flame is invisible in the sunlight but after all this time, I know exactly where it licks.

The technique: Toast. Draw until lit. Blow on the foot until evenly ashed. Touch up cold spots at the foot edge. Blow out to clear. Enjoy!

Wilkey

I checked out that lighter too...it looks mean as heck, but I'm going to take your advice and check it out in the future.

I'm in agreeance on the torch, but mine is a cheapo imitation. That's all that the local Iraqi had to offer. But it does a hell of a job.

Same as Wilkey said: Toast it, draw it, blow it, fine tune it, smoke it.

i11 Corona Old Boy, the soft flame is so nice and peaceful. But, it sort of sucks outside, which is why I have my eye on either a DuPont Xtend or one of the Lotus ones.

I have been using this $10 lighter for three years and it continues to work great.
It is a triple jet torch and it runs great using cheap butane.
rp-predator2-l.jpg

The technique: Toast. Draw until lit. Blow on the foot until evenly ashed. Touch up cold spots at the foot edge. Blow out to clear. Enjoy!

That is the exact same way I light up. I always thought I was weird and that no one else blew on the end like that. Glad someone else is weird like me :)

I really need to buy a new lighter. As of right now I use a lighter that I stole from my brother. Has lasted me a good year now. But sadly it is falling apart. The front cover has come off from so much use, the lights no longer work, and I am pretty sure it is leaking butane.

I did find this really neat butane lighter that is in the shape of a fishing reel. The middle pops off so you can refuel it. It is more of a stationary lighter though, the thing is rather big. It has a soft flame, so it is like lighting with a match, but with butane. (Does that even make sense? ??? )

I live & die with my Dupont Xtend. It survived a trip through the washer & dryer and still works! IMOP best lighter bar none!

I apply the flame to the foot while rotating the cigar.

For my expensive smoke I like to use candles, the best ones can be found at Yankee Candle stores in your local malls.

Little to no foot toasting. I hold the smoke just above the visible flame to minimize any carbon on the cigar. I rotate the smoke and draw on the smoke, make a couple of revolutions, then check the foot for an even light. Touch ups as required.

I've been using the inexpensive torch lighters from Little Havana. They have a two torch lighter for seven bucks that works like the bomb. Get that and some of their very reasonably priced butane and you're good to go for a long time. I've used mine daily for almost two years....no issues.

Cheers - B.B.S.

I am the same way. Unless of course there are no torches to be found then i have to resort to matches. Once I got daring and used a cedar strip....quite interesting. It made for a good cigar and an interesting way to light one!

I'm in agreeance on the torch, but mine is a cheapo imitation. That's all that the local Iraqi had to offer. But it does a hell of a job.

I went through about 5 of those in Iraq...the first 4 each lasted about 2 weeks then wouldn't light, and the last one worked all the way through but they confiscated it at customs :(

I use the same process. I was using an el cheapo butane torch/pipe lighter I had since well before I started smoking cigars. I recently bought a Colibri Wellington, soft flame butane flint lighter and thought it was great. But over the last week I am now having problems with it already. Last night the damn thing was out of fuel and I had filled it up just the night before! So there is a leak of some sort. Plus the flame height is real finniky lately too I turn it all the way down, purge the tank, fill it back up, wait a few minutes, light it and adjust the flame. For the next few lights the flame stays the height I set it too. Then the next day it will be way to low, so I will adjust it up. Then the next day its way too high. I dunno about this thing. As much as I don't want to it may end up having to go back to the shop. :(

I just recieved some new lighters from this company. I got two of the three torch ones that light up and two of the scuba tank ones for about $13 shipped. I was expecting all plastic cheap junk, but these are metal and seem to be made pretty well. So, if you're looking for some lighters that you won't worry about loosing, check 'em out.

I have been using this $10 lighter for three years and it continues to work great.
It is a triple jet torch and it runs great using cheap butane.
rp-predator2-l.jpg

I generally use a Colibri, but when I flew back to DC last year I bought one of these in the Leesburg cigar shop. Great buy for $10 and worked great. Is that where you got yours, Carl?