• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

5 Vegas Gold Robusto

bombtek

I have been smoking these for a while now and although a lot of folks talk them down, I will be keeping them as a regular in my humidor.

5 Vegas Gold Robusto 5" x 50RG

I always seem to have at least 10-20 of these in the humi so that the ones I smoke are well rested.

At first look, once you get past the comically sized band (this thing could seriously look at home around Mr. T's neck.....talk about bling) the cigar is gorgeous. I've smoked quite a few Connecticut shade wrapped gars so far, but they really don't hold a candle to the beauty of the 5 Vegas Gold. The golden tan is consistent throughout with no fluctuations of the color and this thing positively glimmers. There is minimal veining and what little there is, is so subdued that one would be hard pressed to run a fingernail over it and have it catch. The cap is centered and well placed. The cigar is firm to the touch and well constructed.

Sniffing the foot reveals a woodsy, nutty aroma. Punching through the cap for the pre-light draw, and the flavor is of pistacchio with slight hints of spice snd earth. The draw was easy with no difficulty.

Toasting the foot lightly will expel more smoke than one is used to seeing while doing this. Rotate the cigar to ensure even burn and the aroma of earth and nuts takes center stage.

I allowed the cigar to settle and then took my first draw. Mouthful of smoke right off the bat. Extremely mild but with a fantastic blend of spice and nuts, with an undertone of earth. The creaminess of it is unbelievable, absolutely perfect with a morning coffee.

This cigar is hard to put down. Once I expel a mouthful of pure white smoke, I immedately take another draw. There aren't all that many cigars that I do that with, but this is typical when I smoke a 5 Vegas Gold. The flavor is delicious, and the creaminess is filling. The smoke will hang around you if it is a windless day and not dissipate. It is THICK.

At about 3 inches into the cigar, I decide to try an ash stand. This thing smokes so straight and the medium gray ash is so firm that as usual, it stands right up. I pick the cigar back up, and the ash is still attached. It will take truly firm taps to knock the ash off. I have smoked one of these to the nub before without ever once tapping the ash nor having it fall of its own accord, not what will usually happen as the ash will tend to fall at about the 3.5" mark, but with care it can be done.

Blow out the cigar once you tap off the ash and pull in the next draw. Immediately I was rewarded a mouthful of cool extra creamy smoke. The spice seems to dwindle at about the halfway point of the cigar, but the nutty pistachio flavor holds true throughout.

Towards the end of the cigar nearing the nub, the kick of spice is back. Not too much but definitely stronger than anywhere else during the smoke. The Creaminess is still there and the volumns of smoke....I wonder if the installed a mini smoke generator in this thing.

The cigar burned true with a nice somewhat straight burn line. The only corrections needed were a slight rotation or two to re-straighten the burn. It developed no hot spots and the smoke remained cool. The forefront flavor is creamy nuttiness, followed by light to moderate spice with underlting earthiness to round it out.

Would I buy again? Yes, I have and will continue to do so.
Would I recommend to others? Yes, but it seems hard to convince people that anything from 5 Vegas is a worthwhile cigar.

What would I compare this cigar to? Definitely Macanudo, but with more enjoyable flavors than the Mac. That cigar, although creamy and mild was blah on the pallette whereas the 5 Vegas Gold had good flavors throughout, and matched the Macanudo in terms of mildness, definitely outperformed the Mac in terms of creaminess.

I always keep a supply of these on hand. Easy to choose because it is so reliable. And easy enough on the wallet to hand out a few or more to the mooching buddies I golf with.

Its a winner!

Nice descriptive review.

Thanks

Brian

The draw is way too loose with these cigars for my liking and I have found major construction issues far too often with these cigars to make them worth my while to smoke. Not only that, the taste is very one dimensional and these cigars are extremely mild.

I tried a couple and they didn't do it for me. They were well constructed but sure didn't give up the flavors you describe; in fact, the ones I had were very bland....

Not for me so I guess there are more for you that way..... :p

Bottom line - smoke what you like.

Regards - B.B.S.

I have 3 of these sitting in my humidor, and after smoking 2 of these, I'd have to say I'm in CC's boat. Even as a smaller robusto, these cigars were boring and the two I smoked at least were not exactly the well constructed. Then again, to each his own, but, you might want to consider finding some better quality, more flavorful pistaschios :).

I'm still hoping to try one soon...I've always heard good things about 5 Vegas Golds, but, as we all know, everyone has different tastes in cigars. ;)

pffffft....... I guess I just have a more refined pallette than you guys (spoken with an air of snobbery) :p

pffffft....... I guess I just have a more refined pallette than you guys (spoken with an air of snobbery) :p

ON the contrary, over 90% of the time fans of mild cigars have the least developed "palette" (that's ONE "l" not two) ;)

When spoken like a true snob, the "l" rollllllls off the tongue, hence the two of them.................

Looking for any justification for poor spelling :whistling: