• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Would this be an ideal base for a humidor?

iluvmysh

I found a night stand and am debating whether to keep it as a humidor or not.

What do you guys think? Humidor material or no?

ispxBbz8pMCujE4LCxr1hOyi0zN0.jpg

It looks like there is quite a large gap between those doors. You would have to take care of that for sure. If there is a gap like that there, I would also assume that there are more gaps around the doors. I bet it is a nice size for a cabinet humidor. If you have ths skills, go for it.

Why not? Anything can be a humidor if it can be sealed and lined with spanish cedar. I guess it's more of a personal question, "Do I really want to invest the time and money into making this into my sacred shrine to the cigar god?" :D

Agree with both of the guys above. Hell, give it a shot and see what happens, but you're definitely going to have to take care of some gaps.

You may even have to fashion a new door of sorts. I'm no crafty craftsman though, so not much with the advice on how to do that, hehe.

It looks like it is made of particle board. If that is the case I would avoid it. There is likely a good deal of formaldehyde along with other latent chemical fumes and odors that could taint your cigars. You can make anything into a humidor by ensuring that it seals adequately but you really need to consider what you are sealing in, besides moisture.

I agree with BFD.

You can line the unit with Spanish Cedar but you don't know how the unit was put together. If there are any chemicals you will not smell them but you will certainly taste them in your cigars. You are safer with a cooli'dor.

Brian

seal all of the gaps so you don't lose any humididty.....

http://www.cigarpass.com/forums/index.php?...8&hl=plexiglass

Be very careful with material and adhesive choices. The glue which he (the builder) referenced more than likely contained some cyanoacrylate or other toxic compounds. Your cigars are sponges, they will absorb the chemicals which are floating around your humidor. If you can smell, or taste, even a faint amount of something which isn't "right" you may regret your choice.

I have a box that I am converting to a storage locker. I have had natural and active charcoal in the box for quite a while now. I first sanded the interior of the box bare, down to virgin wood. I still intend to fully line the box with cedar. I have a lot of $ in my collection. I just won't risk it to save a buck or two.

The smell of the inside of the cabinet stinks. I was hoping it'd go away if I aired it out, but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen. I don't know what kind of smell it is, like someone rubbed it down with feces or something, maybe it's from the wood getting old?

The smell of the inside of the cabinet stinks. I was hoping it'd go away if I aired it out, but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen. I don't know what kind of smell it is, like someone rubbed it down with feces or something, maybe it's from the wood getting old?

Get a bag of charcoal and set it inside for a couple of days and see if that helps. I had a freezer once that smelt like dead things and it cured that.

Yeah, I'm guessing you don't want your 'gars smelling or tasting like feces.

Probably best to move on to another project :laugh:

Yeah, I'm guessing you don't want your 'gars smelling or tasting like feces.

Probably best to move on to another project :laugh:

No shit Einstein!! :laugh: :laugh:

Get a bag of charcoal and set it inside for a couple of days and see if that helps. I had a freezer once that smelt like dead things and it cured that.

Charcoal abosorbs odor?

charcoal does help with odors, hunters use some sort of charcoal to hide their scent. If you going for looks, I think it would be easier to find something else and build on it. It wouldn't be worth all the work. If your looking for storage, the coolidor is the way to go, cheap, easy to make, easy to maintain.

Charcoal abosorbs odor?

Yes it works and if it doesn't squirt some fluid on the charcoal and burn it. :sign:

I also have been wanting to convert a piece of furniture into a humi and you the money saved on smokes. I have yet to find anything to convert that my wife will let me keep in the living room. But hey if it smells bad I would steer away. Check out some garage sales maybe, or just bite the bullet and buy a nice one. Hope it works out for ya.