• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cellophane or no Cello?

lyricsdad

How do you store your cigars?

I just got a humidor, and I purchased my first full box of 24 cigars, Drew Estate Java Robustos. I seen the "58s" are stored w/out cellophane, and these have them on them. I am currently storing them w/ the cellophane on them, but it kinda looks tacky.

What are your suggestions?

How do you store your cigars?

I just got a humidor, and I purchased my first full box of 24 cigars, Drew Estate Java Robustos. I seen the "58s" are stored w/out cellophane, and these have them on them. I am currently storing them w/ the cellophane on them, but it kinda looks tacky.

What are your suggestions?

Kinda off the subject, but how did you like the Java's? I've been wanting to smoke the Java and the Kaluah for some time now, but haven't gotten around to it. As far as the cello vs. nude debate...that could take all night. As a rule of thumb, if you're wanting to age the sucker for more than 6 months, you should probably take it out of the cello, which retards the ageing. The protective wrapper is there to keep the cigar from being dammaged during transport and such. If you're cigars don't stay long in your humidor, I wouldn't worry about unwrapping them. What I do is take half of my stash and pull the cello off-the other half I leave on...just for comparison. Hope this helps. I'm sure you will get alot more good info shortly!

I like the Java, it was my first flavored cigar, and since I was turned on to it, it has become a current favorite. I was given an A. Fuente about a month ago, and have been interested in getting a few more of them as I liked them too.

Back on the Java topic, its a mediumish cigar, very "organic" tasting, in my opinion. The wrapper tastes great, my wife loves the smell of them. They smell of chocolate. I found that if you smoke them too fast, they will get a tart taste, but if you puff and let her cool down, this does not seem to happen. They seem to taste the same thoughout. I got the Robusto because of the fact that I like to spend a good 45 minutes on a cigar.

I dont know about the Kaluah's but I have wanted to try them, as they have been tempting me as I love white russians and colorado bulldogs...

I want to start smoking the more traditional cigars as when I smoke Java's or CAO's Eileen's dreams, they are like candy, and I want more..

anyways, the Javas make a very good after dinner smoke.

I will try that, half w/ cello and half w/o... and see what happens.

Check out the search function, this topic has been covered in depth on numerous occasions.

To summarize in a few words though, naked or covered - a personal choice.

Brian

yeah thanks, No problem with the search function, n00b mistake. I just didnt want to reply to a very old thread, being on other forums I found that some users hated when you revived an old thread.

yeah thanks, No problem with the search function, n00b mistake. I just didnt want to reply to a very old thread, being on other forums I found that some users hated when you revived an old thread.

I'm glad you mentioned that about reviving old threads. I see absolutely NOTHING wrong with that and it's done here pretty regularly with no one ever getting upset about it (well, I tounge-in-cheek get "upset" :laugh: when someone revives one of SFG75's threads because he's been banned here and he's persona non-grata on just about every cigar board out there :laugh: ).

I've seen boards where some of the regulars whine about old threads being revived which I think is stupid.

As far as your question, I say leave it on because it provides protection for your cigars from damage.

yeah i just pulled a few off, and found 3 out of the 4 had that "aged" frosting look to them. Ahh I can't wait to smoke those..

I provide no cigar any hospitality unless it is naked.

It's just one of my rules I carried over from college years.

I couldn’t find this point in any of the threads referenced so I thought it was worth making here.

I wouldn't mix celloed and naked in my daily smokes humidor. I rummage around in there too much. Any jostling against celloed cigars will damage naked cigars’ wrappers.

I'm glad you mentioned that about reviving old threads. I see absolutely NOTHING wrong with that and it's done here pretty regularly with no one ever getting upset about it (well, I tounge-in-cheek get "upset" :laugh: when someone revives one of SFG75's threads because he's been banned here and he's persona non-grata on just about every cigar board out there :laugh: ).

I've seen boards where some of the regulars whine about old threads being revived which I think is stupid.

As far as your question, I say leave it on because it provides protection for your cigars from damage.

I agree with CC with the point about reviving old threads. Makes much more sense to me than constantly starting new threads about the same topic. Often by using the search function, you will find that after reading, you don't have to revive it because you got all the info you needed.

Back to the original point - the only reason that some of my cigars have cello left on them is to provide protection (as CC points out). However, I like the looks of my cigars w/o cello - just bare-ass naked!

I provide no cigar any hospitality unless it is naked.

It's just one of my rules I carried over from college years.

We are talking about cigars, not women :laugh:

Brian

How do you store your cigars? ... What are your suggestions?

... As a rule of thumb, if you're wanting to age the sucker for more than 6 months, you should probably take it out of the cello, which retards the ageing. The protective wrapper is there to keep the cigar from being dammaged during transport and such. If you're cigars don't stay long in your humidor, I wouldn't worry about unwrapping them. ...

Lyricsdad, I couldn't have said it better than boonedoggle! :)

I don't know if you have had a chance to look it over, but the link below is to a thread I started that contains the basic cigar information that I wish I had compiled in one place when I started smoking cigars. Consider it my contribution to getting all Cigar Newbies started on the road to cigar obsession! :laugh:

http://www.cigarpass.com/forums/index.php?...=19797&st=0

DOAH! :0

I forgot to mention, Welcome lyricsdad to the CPBB! :thumbs:

I hope you enjoy your stay. :cool:

Ya know, it's probably good to ask this question every now and then. This way we get to see how the newer people to the board weigh in on the subject.

Here's a thought, I have a lot of cigars in my humi that I use for New Guy Sampler Trades. When I package them up, I ALWAYS put the naked ones in a 2"x8" baggie so they are protected during shipping. If it's already in cello, then it makes my job easier. I then place five or six cigars in a 5"x10" baggie for shipping. Most of my samplers contain 15 to 20 cigars.

Depends on how much time I have when I putting them in. If I come home with a bunch of smokes, I ususally just place them in th humi. If I come home with a few I usually unwrap them. Eventually I unwrap them all. Right now I have about 50 or so in cello, just haven't got around to unwrapping them. IMO it is up to you...