• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Don Carlos God of Fire Robusto 2005

cuppajack

I said good-bye to my mid-twenties yesterday. They treated me well, but it was just time to move on. To commemorate my 28th birthday I decided to smoke a God of Fire robusto that I had found at the B&M last weekend.

I generally harbor a distasted for the ultra-premium and rare cigars. I hate to spend more that 8 or 9 bucks on a smoke, but something overcame me when gazing upon the GoF and I paid the $26 asking price. I wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

I used to smoke a lot of Artuo Fuente cigars. 8-5-8s, Chateaux, and Cuban Coronas were in the daily rotation. I enjoyed an occasional stick from the Hemingway or Don Carlos line. I have the utmost respect and admiration for the blenders and rollers of all the vitolas under the AF umbrella, but their marketing bothers me. It bothers me that Fuente is trying to make cigars collectable. And all the ultra-super-double premium special package holo-foil limited edition lines get on my nerves. I don’t want to pay 15-30 for a cigar, and I don't want the indusrty to move any further towards a rare-varient collectable limited edition model.

So why did I plunk-down my debit card for a God of Fire? Besides my aforementioned respect for Don Carlos, and the faint murmurs of the line being exceptional and worth the price, I fell in love with the band.

Yup. This cigars presentation overwhelmed my good sense. Lets ignore the cool coffin-box that the cigars gets all to its self, it was the image of Prometheus getting attacked by the eagle that sold me. I’m a sucker for that story. Prometheus created man, and he stole fire from the gods to keep man warm and to light their way in the cold and the darkness. Zeus punished Prometheus for enlightening man by chaining him to a rock and having a magical (and evil) eagle eat Prometheus’ liver each day. Each night his liver would grow back only to be eaten again, and all the while Prometheus had to watch mankind flounder and suffer under their own flawed humanity.

No good deed goes unpunished eh?

But anyway, back to the smoking.

The GoF Robusto was literally slick with oils when I slipped it from the cello, and it had a pungent fragrance of leather, citrus, and ceder. The wrapper was an intriguing gold-color and it was stretched tight around a dense bundle of filler. I could not wait to sink my teeth into it and rushed through the pre-light checklist and I had that puppy blazing in no time.

The first few draws were slightly tight and very mild. Woody and creamy it tasted just like I’ve come to expect a Fuente cigar to taste. By the time I was ½ inch in the stick started to blossom. Well, really it started to blow-up. There was a cascade of flavors in quick succession. Oak. Butter. Cinnamon. Coco. I was starting to get a little overwhelmed when things mellowed out a bit and I really settled into the cigar. Through the middle ½ of the smoke I was treated to each individual flavor that had bombarded me en masse previously. I had to consciously slow my puffing to keep from overheating the stick. I just wanted to gulp it down. Into the final third things livened up again and pepper and spice (cinnamon and clove) came to the fore. I borrowed a hair-pin from a friend so I could smoked down to the very nub. When I burned my lip for the 2nd time I reluctantly gave up on it.

The burn and draw was perfect from the beginning and by that final inch I was really wishing I had sprung for the Double Robusto.

I don’t like to spend $25 on a cigar, but if I’m ever in the mood to do so I would pick up another God of Fire in a heartbeat.

205184869_eed984c23f.jpg

edit to add pic.

Well written review. I enjoyed the story about Prometheus.

Glad you enjoyed the cigar.

Brian

I love collecting the afformentioned "collectable" cigars. But I have never wanted to spend on the GoF. Until now that is...thanks for making me "need" to spend more money.

-Fetter

It bothers me that Fuente is trying to make cigars collectable. And all the ultra-super-double premium special package holo-foil limited edition lines get on my nerves. I don’t want to pay 15-30 for a cigar, and I don't want the indusrty to move any further towards a rare-varient collectable limited edition model.

I have the same opinion... but I guess if the market is there, why not exploit it.

Nice review. I'd love to give one of these a shot one day, but I've never even seen one in person.

I actaully can't stop thinking about this cigar.
It has really made an impact on me.

The shop I bought it had another 5 or so of each of the sizes (though only the Don Carlos blends) and I'm tempted to make the 90-mile roundtrip to pick up at least a couple more.

Helluva review, Cuppa!

An excellent narrative that effectively drew me into the experience. I've seen these cigars but was never motivated to drop the change. I still don't believe I'm ready but now I'm quite sure I'll think twice the next time we meet.

Very well done.

Wilkey

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

I'm sure you'll be seeing lots more of my reviews in the coming months.

Well as one that has had one, I must say this cigar did not do it for me. The price point on this cigar is not worth the premium IMHO. I have a few stored away for a future tasting but have no expectations that they will be that much better.

I am always glad to see the enjoyment certain cigars bring others! That is what it's all about, variety.

I have the utmost respect and admiration for the blenders and rollers of all the vitolas under the AF umbrella, but their marketing bothers me. It bothers me that Fuente is trying to make cigars collectable. And all the ultra-super-double premium special package holo-foil limited edition lines get on my nerves.

I hear ya; they do an awful lot of it, but do keep in mind that while they make the cigars for Prometheus, Fuente doesn't package them or sell them or have any input into pricing. That's all Prometheus. Ditto with Ashton (vis-a-vis the Ashton VSG ESGs).

Now I grant you, you certainly could argue that Fuente shouldn't partner with these folks to begin with, but that's another matter entirely.

As for the cigars, I actually enjoy the Carlito blend a bit better than the Don Carlos blend God of Fire... try that stick as well if you get a chance, it has a Cameroon wrapper on it (Carlito and Don Carlos "switched" tradition wrappers for these blends).

Also I have more bad news for you... Fuente is coming out with a limited edition 30th Anniversary Don Carlos cigar this year too. :)

Back to the whole limited edition thing, I think clearly it's something that works for the cigar business... look at all of the special releases coming of of Cuba in humidors, regional releases, and more recently, Edicion Limitadas, there's clearly a demand for such things. It's a luxury item, so it makes sense, even if it is a pain in the ass. ;)

Cuppajack, I might be able to save you a 90 mile trip. PM me if you want a few pairs of both the Don Carlos and Carlito blends.

I've been reading about these for awhile, wanting to try one or two. But are they that limited? I've seen a few on the internet, but at that price ??? . Very nice review. I will have to try one of these. Thanks