• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Oasis

Wascal

Captive of the Dark Side
OK, saw he question on refilling a cigar oasis on a different thread, thought I'd post it here instead of a link back to CF.

All credit must go to HMS Richard over at CF. Resident expert in humidification of cigars.

Subject: Encore on polymers in the CigarOasis
Date: 03/29/03 5:06 PM

Inroduction: Superabsorbent polymers, otherwise known as SAPs are materials that swel in water to form a clear gel made up of separate, individual particles. They are used in a vast array of applications from baby diapers to fiber optic cable, fire protection, etc. They have excellent potential as a cigar humidifying agent.

By popular demand (again) a copy and paste from CF - hope you find it useful, HMS Richard

Subject: Mixing superabsorbent polymers - again From: HMS Richard Date: 01/25/03 12:51 PM

By popular demand since searching the archives is a pain . . .

Where to buy: http://www.watersorb.com/mainstore.html

What size crystals do I buy: Medium for travel humidifiers, Large for the CigarOasis cartridge

Cost: $12 for 2 pounds - will last you forever

How do I mix: Add 1/2 cup of distilled water to 1 - 1 1/2 tablespoons of dry polymer nuggets.

Then what: Let sit in an open tupperware container overnight to achieve maximum absorbtion. 1- 2 hrs to reach functional state.

What about adding PG: Optional. May help retard mold but it also inhibits water absorbtion (me think). Recommend you try first with distilled water.

Tap Water: Recommend distilled for max absorbtion but tap can be used in a pinch

How to store surplus wetted polymes: Sealed tupperware or comparable container. Check once every few weeks for any signs of discoloration. Discard and replace if necessary with a new batch. I have not had this problem so far. Wash your hands before handling polymers as to avoid contamination.

Best application: travel humidifiers, e.g. Humiditubes in lieu of sponges, silica gel, and florist foam. And as a replacement for the factory-supplied florist foam in your CigarOasis cartridge. You will never have to buy a replacement CO cartridge again. Best, polymers really do shine in the CO cartridge.

Fill the cartridge only half way with wetted polymers. Check every few weeks to see if they have shrunk in size appreciably. If so, re-wet with an ample supply of distilled H2O. Squirt bottle works best. Check for any discoloration.

Not to do: Wetter polymers should not come in contact with certain metals such as brass. They will discolor.

A further word on polymer use with Humiditubes: After the overnight hydration, discard the excess run-off. The fully hydrated polymers should fill the entire length of the Humiditube. Discard any overflow (and there will be). Avoid over-packing.

HMS Richard - Cigar Consultant to the Stars

You can remove the lid from the oasis cart if you carefully pry it up. When closing just put back in place and seal with black tape.

Thanks Wascal. I've been looking for that to post for Dan after I did my post on that thread. :thumbs:

Very interesting. So if I buy the $12 supply it will last me for a significant amount of time?

yes, a very long time. They might "wear out" eventually, I don't have any idea as to when, been using the same ones for over a year.

Yes, take out the foam. Be carefull opening the cart top, use a putty knife with a 1 inch blade or something like it. Put the polymers in a bowl or glass and add the water. Once the polymers asorbe the water fill the cart. about 3/4 full with the polymers and reseal with the tape. Install in the oasis. ;)

Sound's good. Before learning this I had already ordered a replacement cartridge. I got a decent price on it though through ebay. However, it's probably better to have it that way if I screw up the cartridge by trying to open it I'll at least have the spare.

Thanks again!