• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

La Flor de Baloney Reviews

Saxjazzman

Here are the links to the Flor de Baloney Reviews

The Challenge--Initial Thread

The Participants

The reviews follow by the following reviewers:

Vortex

fetterjohn

insight

Seere

Burnt Tongue

davidr2340-----With Pictures

NullSmurf

mostholycerebus

Mostholycerebus--Comparison to RP Vintage 1990

OutlawD

Vortex--- Second Review

Seere--- Second Review

insight---Second Review

The invention of new Cigar Terminology....You saw it here first ( a little humor!!)

Definition of "PP"

How "PP" relates to the Cigar Industry

OK... I smoked my first one Saturday night. Well, technicall Sunday morning, 1 am.

Conditions
37 degrees with a little rain. Tried waiting it out, but it wouldn't let up.

Beverage
None, unfortunately, since I was working

Pre-Light
Wrapper was a very dark brown, like real dark chocolate. Like a couple other reviews, a lot of tooth on it. There was a giant vein that ran straight down the center of the smoke. The cap was split, but that may have been a result of the package pressing.

Cut and Light
Nice smooth cut across the top, but the cutting ended up cracking the top of the cigar a little. Again, this may have been a result of the package pressing. Not too bad a crack, I just had to be careful how I held the cgar in my mouth to keep it together for a good draw. It lit with ease, despite the rain, which was great.

The Smoke
The first inch was incredibly uneventful. Nothing. Nada. Good draw, good burn, but nothing flavor wise. Just as I beginning to think this was going to be it, I started getting a hint of cocoa. As the cigar kept burning, the cocoa flavor was getting stronger. Around the 1/3 mark, I started to taste some spiciness. THis was also the point where the cocoa falvor peaked.

The spiciness took the same route as the cocoa. Started off slight at first, and gradually built. Once I reached the halfway point, the cocoa flavor was pretty much gone, and the spicy flavor was getting close to it's peak. It was also at this point that I lost the ash for the first time. So, on that note, the construction was great. THe solid, white ash held strong up unitl then, and then fell to the ground in one solid piece. For the remainder of the smoke, the ash would not fall again.

The spicy taste got me through to a little past the 2/3 mark, at which point it disappeared. I took a couple more draws, looking to see if there was anything left. And there wasn't. Back to the same taste as the first inch. I took one last draw before getting ready to throw it away, and I got a slight nutty flavor. I decided to keep it a little longer to see if this would go anywhere, but it only lasted another 2 draws.

Overall
The cigar burned for about 45 - 50 minutes, which is what I look for when I grab my late night job smoke. The construction and draw were very good, the flavor not bad. I was pleased that it picked up from that first inch, or else I probably wouldn't have made it to the half way point. For $2 a stick, I guess it's not an awful deal. As for how it compares to other bundle cigars, I don't know, because I haven't really had any other ones. Some of the other reviews have said you can get better smoke for less price, and it's probably true.

As far as the comparison to RP Vintage, he's not close. Personally, I'm not a fan of RP, but it is a different class here. But, i think this cigar was more about blasting RP than actually putting something out there that would compete with it.

On the CA scale, not taking into account the cracked cap, I'd probably give it about an 80.

I still have one more in the humidor, and I'll probably wait a couple more weeks before trying it and coming back to compare the two.

Again, thanks a lot, SJM, for the chance to review this.

Smoked the first of these tonight.

The pre-light aroma and feel were pretty nice. I like the way this stick feels when I hold it.

Gave it a cut and found the draw a bit too loose for my liking.

After the toasting and first few puffs, I could taste the chocolate hints that others have noted. The cigar burned well and even all the way down, but the flavor stayed the same all the way through. Nice tobacco flavor with hints of chocolate here and there. Pretty one dimensional smoke, but not a bad one.

Overall, this is a nice cigar. Not great and for sure not an RP vintage. For the price they are charging I would have expected more. I can get the same flavor profile from sticks that cost half the price. If the pricing was better, this would make a nice cigar for a day in the yard or while fishing.

I am going to let the other one rest a few more weeks and see if it is any better.

SO, I took the second with me to work last night. No big giant vein in the wrapper this time, but there were streaks of "lighter color" all over the wrapper. Where a couple of the smaller veins were, there was the streaking. It looked almost like the wrapper was dyed, and the dye bled along those lines.

Like last time, the cigar lit very easily. And like last time, the burn and construction were great. The ash didn't fall until I was a little more than halfway through it.

And that's where the similarities ended. There was not a single ounce of taste in the cigar. Nothing. Not even tobacco. Just pulling in smoke. I was desperately searching for something. Well, I guess this was kind of like the beginning of the last one, but this lasted the whole time.

Halfway through, I was getting tired of smoking something with no taste. The only reason I kept going was to see how long the ash would last. Maybe if it went long enough, I would try to stand it.

The ash fell, and I kept searching for flavor. But there was none to be found. A little before the 2/3 mark, I tossed it, tired from a long day and 40 minutes of searching for flavor.

This one failed. If I had to try and rate it, we're looking at about a 65. With this example, I would feel uncomfortable about giving this out to my friends that only smoke when they are with me.

But, thanks again SJM for the chance to review these.