• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

1970's RyJ Corona

atuck

ANEJORE
Here is a sealed box of RyJ Coronas from the 1970's. It still is wrapped in wax paper. I know opening these could "devalue" them but I bought these to smoke so I thought I would share the experience of opening a sealed box of Cuban cigars from the 1970's. Sound cool? I think so.:cool: I will also review one of these cigars.

DSC01482.jpg

DSC01483.jpg

I actually do not know anything about dating old boxes of cigars but I did buy this box as from "1970's"
DSC01484.jpg

DSC01485.jpg

DSC01486.jpg

All the cigars look perfect! :thumbs: Sorry the pic isn't better, it looked ok on my camera.
DSC01487.jpg

I chose the 3rd cigar from the left, looked like the thinnest. This is a good pic, at least.
DSC01488.jpg

When I put it to my nose and take a good sniff I smell barnyard and grass.

The 1st inch of the cigar burned funny. In the 1st 1/2", I sensed almonds that turned to burnt almonds. The 2nd 1/2" started a toast flavor. Also I started to sense a fruit. Burnt peaches w/ hints of coconut, these flavors lasted a good way through the cigar.
DSC01489.jpg

DSC01490.jpg

After I flicked that funny looking ash, I noticed a stronger tobacco flavor w/ some hints of vanilla. Starting after the 1st 1 1/2" I picked up a lingering hint of pepper that grew stronger as the cigar went on. This mixed with the burnt fruit flavors kind of left a bitter after taste, but I did not have anything to drink with this. I think next time I smoke one of these it will be in the morning with a cup of Cuban coffee. As I entered the last 1/2 to 1/3 of the cigar Some flavors of toast and wood with hints of creaminess appeared. The Fruit flavor I was sensing turned to a burnt berry flavor for a moment.

The last nub of the cigar was almost pure earth flavor. The after taste also became bitter so I figured it was done.
DSC01491.jpg

My summary of this cigar is while it is very complex with many flavors peeking in and out it is absolutely nothing like any of our modern cigars. This cigar had many things about it that reminded me of the Cuban Davidoff I had a while ago. I do like these old cigars but they are definetly not what I am used to. I am looking forward to trying one of these one morning with some good coffee. A good mood would help too :rolleyes: .

Wow... great review. And thanks for sharing the experience. :thumbs:

Nice review Alan. I liked the flavors you described. I bet they would be best in the morning with a cup of coffee.

Thanks bro, as that is probably the closest I will get to a unopend box of them.. Great pics/review

Awesome review, and thanks for letting those of use who don't have unopened boxes of 30+ year old cigars laying around live vicariously through you!

This is the kind of experience that I'll just have to enjoy vicariously through you! Thanks, man.

Oh man these sound great. Just in case you were wondering....my address is in my profile ;) :sign: :sign: :sign:

Alan,

I will be in Victorville on Thursday. I'll call you before I come over! Have one of those 70's RyJ's ready for me and we'll give a HERF review of them! I'm not shitting you... :thumbs:

-FETTER

Very nice Alan, that's like having sex with a chick born in the 70's, leave them alone, send them to me! :laugh:

Just a thought. That stick has been secured in a box for 30+ years, never seen the light of day. Would the taste differ
if you dry boxed the stick for several hours then smoked it?

Brian

I think you have to be a part of some secret underground society to even find cigars of that age. Or, just be willing to pay $$$$$

:laugh:

Alan thanks for sharing. I see that the wrapper looks to be claro, was the box marked as such? Or was it the angle of the camera or lighting in the room?

Never mind answered my on question while looking at the picture of the box.

Thanks for the great review and sharing the experience. Maybe one of these days.

Ken

Great stuff atuck, thanks for taking us along. Looked tasty to me :)

Nice review! Beautiful pictures! That looks like a fun one to try. Sorry you weren't in a better mood, but I would think opening that box would help. :)

I do have a small request: Could you take a closeup picture of the circle to the right of the CUBA on the green seal? There are a couple things I want to look for.

Thanks!
- C