• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

1998 H. UPMANN MONARCH from newly opened box

atuck

ANEJORE
Ok, we are all kind of benifiting from my woes as we check into yet another rare Cuban beauty. This is a full box of H. Upmann Monarchs from 1998. A primo stick from what I have always heard. You will join me as I partake in one of these beauties for the 1st time. 1st off, I just love the way a box of tubos look.
DSC01499.jpg

DSC01502.jpg

DSC01503.jpg

As I sniffed the foot of the cigar I could smell barnyard and hay. The prelight draw was the same with the addition of a vanilla sense.
DSC01505.jpg

DSC01507.jpg

The cigar starts of with flavors of chocolate, caramel and wood. It began a very faint spiciness with almost some kind of herbal note. After the 1/2" mark I start tasting leather. As it got into the next 1 to 2" of it I sensed vanilla along with all the other flavors mentioned as they all came and went at will. As the cigar went on there was a steady increase in the spiciness.
DSC01508.jpg

As I got past the 2" mark I picked up an almost french toast type of flavor, I can even taste some maple. This is a DAMN GOOD CIGAR!! Into the 2nd half the spiciness starts to mellow.
DSC01509.jpg

For pretty much the rest of the cigar I tasted leather, maple, toast with occasional tastes of vanilla. Also noted, in the last 3rd of the cigar it seemed to pick up a very tastey tobacco flavor.
DSC01510.jpg

As I got toward nub status the spiciness returns and the tobacco flavor is strong.
DSC01511.jpg

OUCH!!
DSC01514.jpg

My overall impression of this cigar is that it was FANTASTIC!! :thumbs:

We'll see what my woes will cause me to pull out of my humidor next! :whistling:

:laugh: from how much you've enjoyed it, i'd happily take the tube.

Thanks for a great review!!! I have heard before that these were good sticks. Hope to try one some day myself when conditions warrant it.

Cheers,
antaean

OK -I'm in for another 5'r! :D

It sounds like this smoke has a lot of character!
Great review....my kind of cigar.

May your 'troubles' move along, soon.

Sounds fantastic!
They'll smoke even better when life's circumstances improve!

-Rob

You're a Baaaad man Alan........a very Baaaaaaaaaad man!!!

Great review of a fantastic smoke!
Thanks, Alan....now Gary...what was that bout a 5'er?

Damn your black, black heart Alan!!!

Seriously, very nice review of this and the RyJ. Thanks for sharing it with us (and making us all extremely jealous :thumbs:).

Thanks for sharing the posts/pics Alan, very cool to see!! :thumbs:

You gonna get help for that OCD? Thanks for kicking in that drool factor for me. Nice comparisons you use. If you whiffed that any closer you'd be sucking in the ashes.

I should have stolen them today!!! :cool:

I'll bring the pizza
Fetter brings the drinks
Alan brings the smokes

Lunch tomorrow :thumbs:

o.k., Alan? :thumbs:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Great review, Alan! :thumbs:

Cool review and pic's mate
Hope they are all as good as the first :D