• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A Silica Gel Bead Conditioning Experiment

So is this the stuff? Linky

Doug

It looks like it is but without seeing it or reading the label I can't tell you. The info on that page says its "Silica-gel based" which makes me pause. Not sure how to define the word "based" that they use in the description. It needs to be 100% silica-gel beads with no colored indicators and no frangrance added.

Also, thats price is for four - 8lb containers or a total of 32 lbs. Not sure anyone needs that much but even if they did that price seems high. I stand to be corrected, its been a while since I've purchased any.

So is this the stuff? Linky

Doug

I stand to be corrected, its been a while since I've purchased any.

At Petsmart this weekend seems i remember the price was $11 for 8 pounds. I swear I remember paying about $9 for it three months ago.

Allofus123 it is great the way you are going about this. Thanks very much for putting your findings here. I am some eight days behind you conditioning some myself and am looking forward to finding out how long they need to stay at RH before they are stable.

Seth

Yea...they seem HIGH! Almost double the prices I've located.

Also - here's the product technical info from the manufacturer.

They also make a 'regular' - not 'track less' product.

Well just when I thought I had everything under control...... :rolleyes:

Conditioning_4.25.07.jpg

I did not expect to get a higher rh reading from these beads than what I was getting from within the humidor. Hmmmm, I'll pull some of the conditioned beads I'm using out and place them in this container and see what it reads. I know we're only talking about 1% and I'd be completely happy with 67% but it just seems odd that its higher. It may be the plastic container vs the wood humidor. After I check that I will dry and rehydrate the beads and see if they "hold up".

Thanks for the heads up Kenny.

I am getting all the materials together and ordered to follow your lead, this is friggin' awesome.

Doug

It looks like it is but without seeing it or reading the label I can't tell you. The info on that page says its "Silica-gel based" which makes me pause. Not sure how to define the word "based" that they use in the description. It needs to be 100% silica-gel beads with no colored indicators and no frangrance added.

Also, thats price is for four - 8lb containers or a total of 32 lbs. Not sure anyone needs that much but even if they did that price seems high. I stand to be corrected, its been a while since I've purchased any.

OK, the conditioned beads read 65%. ??? (bad picture but it is reading 65%)

Test_conditioned_beads_4.26.07.jpg

This is strange that the unconditioned beads I've been conditioning are reading 67% while the beads I'm using to condition them with are reading 65%. I see that the temp was about 3 or 4 degree's higher on the test above.... that may have impacted the reading but wouldn't I have gotton the higher reading when all of the beads were in the humidor at the lower temp? Hmmmmm........

I'm going to run with what I have for now. I've removed a small amount of the beads I've been conditioning and will dehydrate and then rehydrate them and see if they have indeed condition to that 65-67% range.

Here are the amounts of condition beads vs uncondition beads I have been using. The uncondition beads appear to be a little more than 1/3 but not quite 1/2 of the condition beads. I would think more uncondition beads could be used as I didn't have any problems reaching a sustained enviroment with this amount.

Already condition beads:
Amount_conditioned_used.jpg

Uncondition beads:
Amount_unconditioned_used.jpg

Beads after drying in the oven for about 15 minutes.
Test_uncondition_beads_dried_4.27.07.jpg

Beads after rehydrating them.
Test_uncondition_beads_wet_4.27.07.jpg

It does appear that the beads have conditioned. I'll watch them over the next few days to see if anything changes.

This started because someone asked me if you could condition KL from already condition beads. While I did get a bit anal about the process I think the answer is yes. One can condition KL with condition beads as long as they can maintain a steady enviroment at the desired level. These beads were in a steady enviroment for approx 10 days... that is, 10 days after the rh reached my desired set point and maintain that level without fluctuation.

I think its worth mentioning that preembargo has used PG to condition KL. I'm going to top the thread. I'm of the camp that a one time useage of PG on the beads to condition them will not have a long term effect. The only downside I can see, unless you prefer it, is that you are locked in to having 70% which is what the PG will maintain. Nothing wrong with that if thats what you want and to tell you the truth the simplicity of it makes the process a no brainer. Something to consider if you want an easy way to condition KL.

If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me and I'll try my best to help.

Great job, Kenny!

I guess I don't need to use the CO for my next batch. I reckon the same results could be had with previously conditioned KL as well.

Thanks for doing this experiment and sharing.

:thumbs: