• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

1997 Montecristo Especial No. 1

atuck

ANEJORE
I was able to get a 5er of these a couple of years ago and have never tried one. But I thought since I have been smoking some vintage cigars lately, one of my newer cigars just wouldn't do. So I grab this bag I have stashed that is full of 10 yr old smokes and decide on this one. These came unbanded. I hate that but that is the way these came.

DSC01566.jpg

Upon smelling the foot I smell floral tobacco and barnyard. Prelight draw is similar but with a little sweetness to it.

DSC01567.jpg

In my 1st puff I immediately taste bountiful aged tobacco. As I ease into the 1st inch or so I sense flavors of cocoa, leather and vanilla w/ an herbal hint. I can tell that this is going to be a very enjoyable smoke. The 1st inch was so full of flavor.

DSC01568.jpg

As I get into the 2nd inch I pick up on some coffee flavor w/ an occasional hint of caramel. All the while holding the flavors that I sensed in the 1st inch as well. By the 3rd inch the sweetness is starting to increase w/ an ever so slight trace of pepper.

Getting to the 1/2 way point has been very pleasureable but now this thing is really starting to pick up some more complexity. Almost too complex for my palate and vocabulary to describe.

DSC01569.jpg

All flavors previously mentioned are coming in and out repeatedly w/ many new flavors that I am trying to figure out as I get into the 2nd 1/2. The sweetness is also starting to mellow. The flavors are medium bodied but very rich at the same time.

There is a pleasant flavor showing up that has a memory for me that I can't quite place. --- I know, it is a memory of a fine restaurant when I was a kid. Maybe reminds me of the smell of wine, bread and fine food. It also reminds me of the way the cloth napkins smell in a nice restaurant.

DSC01571.jpg

I am sensing all kinds of flavors: From cheese to pepperoni pizza. From coffee to chocolate. From vanilla to caramel. From leather to toast. From spice to herbs. And certainly tobacco.

In the last 1 1/2" slight hints of pepper and bell pepper show up. In the las 1" the complexity dies down and the flavor becomes predominantly tobacco w/ a bell pepper twist. I figure it is now time to take a last couple of puffs and put it down.

DSC01572.jpg

I loved this cigar! :thumbs: It was fantastic! What more can I say?

Another great review! That cigar looks fantastic

Damn! You suck Alan........I mean that in the nicest way possible. ;)

Great review Alan..

I think you need to move the humidor out of the barnyard. I think its starting to affect the smokes. :)

Nice pics and review Alan.

Good smoke, I have several 1998 left hiding somewhere, maybe time to re-visit one.

Brian

Nice review. One of my favorites. Almost always amazing smokes with ten years or more on them.

Alan:

Another nice review. I look forward to reading about your smoking experiences. I read MRN and drool over some of the cigars...I get to experience smoking them through reading your reviews.

Keep em coming!

Great review I just love the cigars that somehow bring back good memories, these tend to be some of the best smokes :thumbs:

I loved this cigar! :thumbs: It was fantastic! What more can I say?
I agree with you 100%!!! I just smoked one this past weekend and it was amazing. Unfortunately, I'm down to my last two. :(

I'm really curious how you cut it .... the last picture almost looks like you unwrapped the pigtail. ??? I cut it twice and purged it about 3/4 of the way through. That really helped to keep the tobacco flavors from becoming overwhelming. And, it is definitely one stick that you have to smoke with steady patience; hot boxing this cigar will destroy the flavors.

Nice review!! :thumbs:

Great review and pics Alan. Your on a roll with the vintage sticks. I see the Romeo cigarettes in the back round. I picked up a few packs of these for added decor in my smoking room.

Bob

The Monte Esp#1 is awesome. I have "some" from '96,'97,'98,'99, and '01. It's a very good cigar and there's little difference between the 98-01's but the 96-97's are slightly better.

The Monte Esp#1 is awesome. I have "some" from '96,'97,'98,'99, and '01. It's a very good cigar and there's little difference between the 98-01's but the 96-97's are slightly better.
What, no 2000? Slacker. :laugh:

What, no 2000? Slacker. :laugh:

Probably because 2000 was a shit year for Habanos. The wrapper from that year was the real problem, it didn't like to burn well.

OH MAN! great review Alan and what perfect timing, I have one of these in the humidor and have been itching to try it.

:cool:

Since I liked this cigar so much I thought I would buy a box of fresh ones to age. I got an '05 box. I smoked one tonight and I can, without a doubt, say that this is one for the aging room. Not that it was a bad cigar, but nowhere near, not even close in any respect, would this fresh cigar compare to the one aged for 10 yrs. These will be easy to age!! :thumbs: