• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Real 1985 Cuban Davidoff

enerjay

1985 Davidoff 5000 - 5 5/8", 46 ring gauge

The Davidoff story is well known, but bears reflection.

From a small shop in Geneva, he became a worldwide force in cigars in the period after World War II. Because Switzerland was neutral, he was able to continue his trade in cigars and his contacts throughout Europe with energetic smokers who had little access to cigars between 1939-45 made him a star.

He teamed with the Swiss distributor of Havana cigars, A. Durr Co., in 1946 to introduce a Davidoff-endorsed series of the Hoyo de Monterrey line, made by Fernandez, Palicio y Cia. in Havana. Without any license in those less legalistic days, he created five sizes of cigars named after famous Bordeaux wineries: Chateau Margeaux, Chateau Latour, Chateau Lafite, Chateau Haut-Brion and Chateau Yquem.
%%pagebreak%% The combination of excellent quality, subtle taste and the glossy reference to five of France’s most respected winemakers helped make the Chateau series a sensation and Davidoff cigars – offered in all-cedar cabinets without bands – became the standard by which all others were measured.

Twenty-one years later in 1967, the Cubans created the Davidoff brand as a stand-alone, without reference to Hoyo and now made in the El Laguito factory, which opened a year earlier. Now the line was expanded to include the No. 1, No. 2 and Ambassadrice sizes. But the big changes were yet to come.

In 1970, Davidoff sold his store and company name to Ernst Schneider’s Oettinger Group. This was the beginning of the transformation of the Davidoff name from a store and a cigar brand into a worldwide symbol of luxury. Oettinger began opening Davidoff boutiques worldwide, in Hong Kong in 1974, the famous London shop in 1982 and the U.S. flagship in New York at 535 Madison Avenue in 1987.

The Dom Perignon model, named for the famed champagne, appeared in 1977 and the “Mille” series of mild blends appeared about the same time. Bands appeared on Davidoff cigars in 1980. Davidoff cigarettes were introduced in 1985 and a Davidoff fragrance was created the same year.

In 1986, Davidoff’s 80th birthday was celebrated with the release of a special 80 Aniversario cigar, a mild but big 9 1/4-inch by 47-ring Gran Corona.

For cigar lovers, the big changes came in 1989. After complaining about a lack of quality in Cuban cigar production, Davidoff burned 130,000 cigars in a public bonfire on August 23. About a year later, Oettinger had moved the Davidoff operation out of Cuba and relocated it to Santiago, Dominican Republic and created a new series of Davidoff cigars, available everywhere in the world, including the United States.

Taken from: Cigar Cyclopedia.
The review.

What can really be said about this moment. 39 years old today, smoking a 1985 cuban Davidoff 5000 cigar.
IMG_4042.jpg

IMG_4047.jpg

The Flavor is nothing I have ever come across before, smooth and creamy, hints of coco and honey.
IMG_4058.jpg

First 1/3 of this cigar, all way to the half way point had no change in burn of flavor. Flawless.
IMG_4063.jpg

At the Half way point the flavor started to shift but I can not explain what I taste. (Wilkey I need you pallet).
I am going to say this cigar starts to take on a true Cuban profile.
IMG_4064.jpg

Great cigar, to say the least.

Special thanks to Moki.

Wow thanks for the History of the Davidoff cigars.... I am glad you finally got to smoke a real one :laugh: , anyways thanks for the review and pics. I would love to have the chance to smoke one of those fine cigars. I assume you smoked it today? Birthday Smoke!!!!

Nice review and pics! Glad you got to have the real deal on your b-day :thumbs:

Nice review, Jay. Well done, Andrew.

There is justice in cigartown tonight. :D

Wilkey

Well done Jay - What now Cory? :laugh: :laugh:

Special thanks to Moki.

hrm. Not sure how to break it to ya man, but that was a re-banded Connie.

I figured "Hell, he loved the first one when he thought it was a Davidoff, might as well just tell him that's what it is, and send along a Connie." :)

Thats the best part of the HOLE thing. Of all the guys that smoked that stick from Cory, all I said was it was sweet tasting, Hell I have no IDEA what an aged cigar is like. :sign:

Special thanks to Moki.

I figured "Hell, he loved the first one when he thought it was a Davidoff, might as well just tell him that's what it is, and send along a Connie." :)

I can't wait for the review of the rebanded Drew Estates Egg :thumbs:

I head somewhere that the get the mold for Drew Estate Eggs from aborted chicken fetuses.

Special thanks to Moki.

Thats the best part of the HOLE thing. Of all the guys that smoked that stick from Cory, all I said was it was sweet tasting, Hell I have no IDEA what an aged cigar is like. :sign:
I got some cryptic VM from Jay today ... said I needed to start looking closely. I'm not sure what it was in reference to, but I just now found this thread. OMG ... Jay, you will smoke a real Davidoff one day. :thumbs: