• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New Supreme Court Ruling

PuroEsq

The Member Formerly Known as "JAEwing"
Here is the article:

In case you haven't yet heard about the Supreme Court's June 28th ruling on "Leegin Creative Leather Products vs. PSKS, Inc. dba Kay’s Kloset," the Court ruled that it is now legal for a manufacturer to set the minimum price a distributor can charge for the manufacturer’s goods. In the 5-4 ruling, Justice Anthony Kennedy’s decision overturned the 1911 "Dr. Miles Medical Co. vs. John D. Park & Sons Co." decision, which until now, made it illegal to do so. Therefore, the new law applies to all manufacturers, including exporters of premium handmade cigars.

If you can bear with a little legal mumbo jumbo, the following excerpts illustrate some of the key points of the decision and should help give you a better understanding of why the Court ruled the way it did.

Justice Kennedy writes: "A single manufacturer’s use of vertical price restraints tends to eliminate intrabrand price competition; [competition between manufacturers who sell different brands of the same type of product.] this in turn encourages retailers to invest in tangible or intangible services or promotional efforts that aid the manufacturer’s position as against rival manufacturers. Resale price maintenance also has the potential to give consumers more options so that they can choose among low-price, low-service brands; high-price, high-service brands; and brands that fall in-between.”

Kennedy later adds, "If the consumer can then buy the product from a retailer that discounts because it has not spent capital providing services or developing a quality reputation, the high-service retailer will lose sales to the discounter, forcing it to cut back its services to a level lower than consumers would otherwise prefer. Minimum resale price maintenance alleviates the problem because it prevents the discounter from undercutting the service provider. With price competition decreased, the manufacturer retailers compete among themselves over services."

The other side of the argument

Justice Breyer, who dissented with Justices Stevens, Souter and Ginsburg, wrote: "The fact that a rule of law has become ‘embedded’ in our ‘national culture’ argues strongly against overruling…The per se rule forbidding minimum resale price maintenance agreements has long been ‘embedded’ in the law of antitrust. It involves price, the economy's 'central nervous system'…It reflects a basic antitrust assumption (that consumers often prefer lower prices to more service). It embodies a basic antitrust objective (providing consumers with a free choice about such matters). And it creates an easily administered and enforceable bright line, ‘Do not agree about price,’ that businesses as well as lawyers have long understood…The Court suggests that it is following the common-law tradition…In sum, every stare decisis concern [the doctrine that, once a court has laid down a principle of law applicable to a certain set of facts, it will adhere to that principle and apply it to future cases where the facts are substantially the same] this Court has ever mentioned counsels against overruling here…The only safe predictions to make about today's decision are that it will likely raise the price of goods at retail and that it will create considerable legal turbulence as lower courts seek to develop workable principles. I do not believe that the majority has shown new or changed conditions sufficient to warrant overruling a decision of such long standing."

What does all of this mean to you, the cigar consumer? Some of the ruling's consequences are yet to be seen, but one thing's for sure: Cigar makers will now be able to set minimum retail prices for their brands and respective frontmarks. Accordingly, retailers will be prohibited by law from selling below the manufacturer's set minimum price. It may help level competition among the big online retailers, while giving the B&M cigar stores a leg up, but, as Justice Breyer noted, expect prices to go up regardless of where you purchase your cigars.

So, will cigar smokers abandon online "cigar discounters" if the prices are equivalent to their corner cigar store? Probably not. Online retailers will still have a considerable amount of market power; the ability to offer bigger selection, save customers state sales taxes where applicable, offer free cigars, shipping, and other premiums, as well as provide a wider range of customer service. It will also be incumbent upon mass merchants to be more creative in their marketing and new customer acquisition efforts.

How this decision will play out in the months ahead should prove to be even more provocative after the RTDA convenes in Houston next month when the manufacturers meet the retailers face-to-face.

Damn foolish decison in my opinion. Wonder how much this will change the cost of purchasing cigars through places like CI, JR and the like. Although I ahve not read the actual opinion it will probably apply to auction sites as well. We shall see.

Interesting. I was in the high end home and pro audio market back in the "fair trade" days. Didn't work then, either. Only led to back room deals and outright deception on the part of many retailers. Didn't benefit anyone, long term.....

Regards - B.B.S.

While it may really stink for cigars, I'm more worried about the further reaching effects this ruling may have on the retail industry as a whole. Not to mention the auto industry. Imagine going to a car dealer and not being able to deal...

So much for a free market economy...:(

I think that this will be good for the quality B&Ms in low tax states, but, the internet will always have an edge over a state that taxes like 20,30,40% etc. The only advantage to this is that manufacturers can now quash more 'grey market' vendors, not only in cigars, but also in commonly counterfeited items like designer clothing, etc. The manufacturer can force them to sell their products at a minimum price, thereby defeating their purpose.

Terrible idea. Anytime you limit/eliminate the ability for competition everyone but the manufacturer looses out.

Thanks for the article. Very interesting stuff since I just graduated w/ a business degree last year and am going to law school this year. I remember spending a considerable amount of time in one of my marketing classes on the subject. While I tend to agree this is a bad decision, I don't know if it will have that big of an impact on cigars, depending on the person of course. Personally, I don't mind paying retail for a cigar if I know I am getting good service and the vendor will stand behind the product. For the most in demand cigars, you don't generally see discounts below retail anyhow. However, time will tell I suppose.

I think this will affect electronics more than any other segment of the economy. Margins will shrink even more for the giant electronic chains and a lot of the "discount" online places will probably fold.

There's always a way around things like this: how about buy 10 get two free...I'll bet we're going to seeing more deals like that.

Sounds to me like a bunch of sour grapes from B&M retailers that do not know how to compete effectively in an Internet based economy. If you provide a personal level of service then people will come to your store and pay the extra money relative to that service. If you offer the exact same thing as an on-line merchant but provide no additional value, then people will always buy online from the comfort of their own living room.

Setting minimum prices can only affect quality and promote collusion.

Fish

I think the most frightening thing is the attitude of this court. They seem to want to over regulate our lives. They are very pro-big- business minded and are willing to sacrifice the individual to promote the corporation. I have no doubt that they, if it would protect the big corporations, would have the audacity to outlaw cigar smoking. It will take a generations to undo the damage of some of these post 2000 appointees. My .02 cents.