• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Perdomo Habano Maduro Presidente

vortex

"A billion Eddie Barzoons jogging into the future
Perdomo Habano Maduro Presidente(7 X 56)

This cigar is blended with Cuban-seed tobaccos grown in the Esteli, Condega, and Jalapa regions of Nicaragua. The Maduro blend is topped with a triple-fermented Nicaraguan Maduro wrapper. I always pair with coffee.

Prelight: Smell is pungent barnyard and the near perfect draw tastes fruity. The wrapper color is dark chocolate with medium veins and a very oily sheen. The cap is nicely applied and extends a full half-inch. Feel is firm with slight give or about perfect.

Palio cut is perfect. This inviting cigar is almost a ten in appearance. Nicely under-stated, two-tone band with silver trim adds to the elegant presentation. I gently toast this with my Blazer Micro-torch to an even start.

Tasting notes:

1st Third - I'm rewarded with plenty of medium bodied smoke. Usually, my only problem with this size cigar is the amount of puffing required even when conditions are optimum. But I got plenty of smoke right off the bat with this baby and flavor, to boot. The flavor is mostly nutty with a bit of fruit, cocoa, and a slight pepper nose. Sweet finish that lingers well. Very nice! Burn is behaving well, too. Of all the big ring gauge cigars I've smoked - RP Vintage 60, Coronado by LFD, Brazilia Amazon, etc, - this may be the easiest draw of them all. Of course, letting it sit for a week at 65% after purchasing it helps on that count, too.

As the 2-inch mark the fruity flavors start to dominate. Light gray ash drops at this point.

Damn! Each of these thirds is like a cigar in itself. :D

2nd Third - I'm getting a great deal of complexity of flavor at this point. I also note it stays lit well and the burn self corrects quickly. For most of this third, I'm getting more cocoa mixing with the fruity flavors and a nutty background. This is about as enjoyable a cigar as I've ever smoked with this ring gauge! I've tried the Toro and Robusto and liked them but this is better, flavor-wise. Fruity flavor starts to fade at the end of this third. Mostly nuts, cocoa, and a bit of sour leather starting to mix in. I really like the fact that it stays well lit when set aside for a bit because that's the only way I can really enjoy such a large cigar.

Final Third - This cigar has a nice aroma that would be less likely to offend if it didn't put out such billowing clouds of smoke. But for me, that's another plus! I like lots of smoke. Now that the "tube" is shorter, draw is almost effortless. Just enough resistance to satisfy. Flavor is dominated by nuts now. More cashew, I'd say. Still getting notes of this and that but it's settled into a more steady flavor now. Burn and ash are still excellent and there were no end-of-stick detractors like heating up or spitting. At this point, I've had enough with an inch of viable cigar left. Why spoil a good experience trying to force the last inch down!

Conclusion:

I enjoyed this cigar and heartily recommend it to smokers who like a large ring gauge cigar. Many of the inherent problems that sometimes detract from large cigars were absent in this one. Things such as difficulty in getting a good amount of smoke or burn issues or tar build up were not evident in this cigar. The only drawback for me was it was just a bit too big for me. But it left me feeling very satisfied with both the experience and my level of nicotine. Plenty of both flavor and strength in this monster!

I give this an 8.7 of 10

I'm not a Perdomo fan, but I've enjoyed this line of cigars. That was a great review, and my expiences have been in line with yours. I found them pretty strong for a Perdomo also. The couple that I smoked were in the same league as DPG and LFD in terms of strength.

D

The only Perdomo I have found that I like is the Edicion De Silvio....not worth the price though unless you can get that at $10 a stick :)

I agree that some of the EdS vitolas are very good - and expensive, too. I like the Keeney and the Maduros in that line. But I would say this has better flavor and more complexity than the Natural EdS, except perhaps the Nat Salomon.

I was just gifted a smaller Nat EdS that I'd never seen. Might be the Grovy. :D

It was, it was! mmmmm :D

Thanks for the great review. Reading it really made me want to go pick one up at my B&M