• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Graycliff

Jack Straw

My wife and I recently took a short cruise with a couple thousand Buckeye fans to the Bahamas.

Buckeye Cruise for Cancer

On Sunday, while the rest of Buckeye Nation was invading the Greg Norman designed golf course, we decided to spend the afternoon at The Graycliff.

DSCF2195.jpg

Originally built as the residence for the pirate John Howard Graysmith over 260 years ago, and converted into an inn in 1844, The Graycliiff is situated on a 2 acre lot in the middle of Nassau, and is as well known for its wonderful hospitality, and great cuisine as it is for its cigars.

The Graycliff features the only
five-star restaurant in the entire Caribbean, my wife and I were there for lunch which was great, and the drink specials were as tasty as they were potent!

As it was a Sunday, there was only a very minimal staff, and hardly any guests, so Shonique spent most of the afternoon chatting with us, as well as showing us around the grounds. She was kind enough to let us into a couple of the guest rooms, and all are beautiful, and equipped as you would expect in a 5 star resort.

DSCF2193.jpg

DSCF2192.jpg

We, also, were given a tour of their 250,000 bottle wine cellar which had originally been built as the pirate's dungeon. I wish I could have taken pictures of the wine cellar, but that was not allowed.

They have a room off of the one shown above that houses their scotch and port collection. Drinks in that room ranged from $25.00 a dram to over $5,000.00 per dram. I guess if you have to ask how much each costs, you shouldn't be there. Although Shonique says they all sell "quite well".

Again, as it was Sunday, the cigar rolling room and cigar factory were closed to the public, but I was able to purchase a nice selection of smokes.

DSCF2204.jpg

Not shown is the fresh-rolled "House Blend" cigar I smoked after lunch. It was a huge 7" - 8" belicoso, with a 1" shaggy foot. Shonique explained that these are rolled daily and only available for guests and visitors, and the blend changes frequently as it's based on the available tobacco and the tastes of the various rollers. I didn't take notes, but I didn't put it down until I almost burned my fingers with the nub. Of course, the fact that I had 3 of the "Daily Drink Special" may have been a contributing factor.

DSCF2191.jpg

One of several hand carved teak entry doors.

If you you are ever in Nassau, I highly recommend spending a relaxing afternoon or evening visiting The Graycliff. The staff could not have been nicer, the food is delicious, the drinks are large, and the smokes are Graycliffs! I only wish I had purchased a couple more of the fresh-rolls to bring home!!

I'm considering Nassau for a summer trip. I guess if I go, the Graycliff is a must. Sounds amazing, and thanks for sharing!

Sounds wonderful. First rounds on me, who wants one? :laugh:

Could you not get any Elegantes because the rolling room was closed Jay?

Oh yeah...

I almost forgot...

GO BLUE!!!

Man, that place is NICE! And all those cigars you got? Awesome awesome time!

Oh yeah...

I almost forgot...

GO BLUE!!!

Had loads of full boxes for sale, but individual sticks were pretty limited. According to our hostess, if you're there while the rollers are working, you can get anything they offer rolled for you, or you can even get a custom blended smoke rolled.

Can't wait for the right time to try the Chateau Gran Cru Salomon I picked up there!

I can see why you almost forgot the Go Blue, as it's beeen soooo long since they've beaten The Buckeyes! In fact, the seniors graduating this year NEVER did!

Thanks for sharing! Nice pics as well.

The Graycliff is my all time favorite restaurant - the food and service is outstanding. The last time we went there they were closed for lunch...however, they opened the kitchen just for us (there were only 5 of us!). It doesn't surprise me because I have never received anything but amazing service there.

Sounds like a great time!

I stopped by there a couple years ago, and had a great time as well. I was very surprised at how "small time" of an operation is seemed considering the popularity of their cigars. When I had inquired about a tour of the cigar factory they said just stop by any time. When I got there, the guy in charge just said feel free to look around and let me know if you have any questions!

I didn't get to dine in their restaurant but I have heard from many that it's fantastic.

Thanks for the great review and pics!

Those cigars in your picture look a lot better than the ones I have tried. Maybe by the time they get to Australia, they are ruined, because I have never had a good Graycliff.

And if they are fakes, the best and biggest cigar retailer in Australia has been duped... so I don't think that is the case.

Go State!! Poor Michigan State, They make me kick things, just like the Lions. Anyways next time I am in the Caribbean I will check that place out.

Those cigars in your picture look a lot better than the ones I have tried. Maybe by the time they get to Australia, they are ruined, because I have never had a good Graycliff.

And if they are fakes, the best and biggest cigar retailer in Australia has been duped... so I don't think that is the case.

Have smoked my fair share of Graycliff's (C-Bid & CI), and can honesly say, I've enjoyed everyone of them. I think they are a bit overpriced (especially at the hotel), but can never remember running into a bad tasting, or bad burning one.

Oh yeah...

I almost forgot...

GO BLUE!!!

Had loads of full boxes for sale, but individual sticks were pretty limited. According to our hostess, if you're there while the rollers are working, you can get anything they offer rolled for you, or you can even get a custom blended smoke rolled.

Can't wait for the right time to try the Chateau Gran Cru Salomon I picked up there!

I can see why you almost forgot the Go Blue, as it's beeen soooo long since they've beaten The Buckeyes! In fact, the seniors graduating this year NEVER did!

That's alright though because The Buckeyes got a new rival next year. The Southern California Powerhouse... USC!!!! Fight on, gonna be the start of a great rivalry, now Ohio state will have at least one tough game a year. LOL

Edit: spell check needed.