• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Invented? Help name my new Libation

Rebel Herfer

Adiskide honekin, orduak labur!
So Wednesday night, after a ROUGGGGH 12 hour day, I wanted to "get my drink on." Started off with a couple of generous Kettle One Martinis, a large glass of Chateau Romassan Millesime Bandol 2001 and bam - NOTHING - NO FEAKIN' BUZZ. Not bragging just amazed & a bit pissed off. So to the bar cabinet I went, and here is what I came up with:

In a DOF pour 1/2 oz of chilled Limoncello and rinse glass with it
Fill 1/2 way with ice
1 wedge Blood Orange squeezed over ice
Fill glass with ice
2 oz (or more like 3oz) Glenfarclas 105 Cask Strength
Fill with Canada Dry Ginger Ale (please forgive me AVB)
Garnish with Blood Orange Wedge

gallery_5052_193_73576.jpg

This was damn good!! I surprized myself and got a bit of a buzz going, or at least enough to shave the edge and fall asleep at 3:38am. I used the Glenfarclas 105 because I haven't really enjoyed drinking it on its' own (or with ice & branch water) as of late. Sorry AVB and purists that I adulterated this fine Scotch. It is good though. I enjoyed it while smoking a La Aurora Cien Anos Robusto. Good med to full bodied cigar with a long finish, don't know about the pricetag but good smoke, especially with this drink.

Now the dilema: what to call this new drink. I have a bit of a collection of old bartending books & searched, but couldn't find this drink, so the suggested names from some friends are....
Ciao Scotsman
Amalfi Highland
Kilted Roman
Scottish Holiday
Lemon Ferguson

I'm up for suggestions for the name.

edited to try to resize pic

Speyside sanguinante
Sounds interesting. Since blood oranges are seasonally limited, your home cigar/cocktail lounge would need a replacement come summer. :p
Have you tried dousing a sugar cube with Angostura bitters and using club soda? The taste is cleaner than commercial ginger ale (which tastes nothing like ginger). Orange bitters or Campari might be a welcome addition for depth. But if it good for you... :thumbs: I might give it a try with something other than expensive scotch, which I don't have anyway.

I think you need to find out how it tastes BEFORE "a couple of generous Kettle One Martinis (and) a large glass of Chateau Romassan Millesime Bandol 2001" :cool:

hmm. i had problems swallowing the glenfarclas 105 my ownself. nor did i buy another bottle. Good use for it.

if i was making this drink from a 'wish list' i'd probably want to use macallan cask strength. it'd stand the dilution and has a better taste to start with, IMO, and the price isn't too terrible to use it in cocktails .

HOWEVER, I like blood oranges a lot, all your ingredients suit me. I can see getting one heck of a glow on working on variations.. :)

Do, please, continue the experiments, i'm taking notes. ;) Thanks loads..

and, as far as a name..

MacDougal's Sangria.. ;)

Thanks for the input. AVB - I tried it this afternoon & I still like it. Forgot to check back before I made another so I'll try the bitters. The Glenfarclas works for now as I have 3/4 of a bottle and an EMPTY wallet! The names got me thinking though so keep 'em commin'.

I'm speechless. Ya need to get out of the hot sun.

Doc.

Call it Agricola, the Roman who laid siege to Scotland. You with your limoncello and scotch, lol.

From Wikipedia:
The conquest of Caledonia (Scotland)

The following year Agricola raised a fleet and encircled the tribes beyond the Forth, and the Caledonians rose in great numbers against him. They attacked the camp of the Legio IX Hispana at night, but Agricola sent in his cavalry and they were put to flight. The Romans responded by pushing further north. Another son was born to Agricola this year, but he died before his first birthday.

In the summer of 84 Agricola faced the massed armies of the Caledonians, led by Calgacus, at the Battle of Mons Graupius. Tacitus estimates their numbers at more than 30,000.[7] Agricola put his auxiliaries in the front line, keeping the legions in reserve, and relied on close-quarters fighting to make the Caledonians' unpointed slashing swords useless. Even though the Caledonians were put to rout and therefore lost this battle, two thirds of their army managed to escape and hide in the Scottish Highlands or the "trackless wilds" as Tacitus calls them. Battle casualties were estimated by Tacitus to be about 10,000 on the Caledonian side and about 360 on the Roman side. Satisfied with his victory, Agricola extracted hostages from the Caledonian tribes. He may have marched his army to the northern coast of Britain.[8]. He also instructed the prefect of the fleet to sail around the north coast, confirming for the first time that Britain was in fact an island.

I like that. Good story to go with it. These old bartending books of mine are full of stories that go with the drink or experience.