• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Is SPANISH Cedar necessary?

MI 1

Since I’ve been reading the forums for the past couple days, I got thinking. My brother who happens to owe me a favor (MWUHAHAHA!!!) is an exceptional cabinet maker. I’ve been contemplating having him build a cabinet for me and or a Havana footlocker. He has access to all sorts of exotic woods. I’m thinking maybe a purple heart cedar laminate. He can use the scraps from work so the cost of the material is nil.

Now bearing this in mind, is there any real difference in spanish cedar and regular old everyday cedar? The regular cedar he could get for free the Spanish I would have to pay for. Considering that we are talking about a fairly large amount of wood. Is it worth the extra for “Spanish”?

I am sure this question has been asked already, I apologize for that. I have searched and haven’t found the answer. I’m sure it’s that I am not using the search feature correctly so please excuse this newb while he learns.

Thank you,
Jim

Yes, the above posts are correct that there is an important difference. Funny thing about trying to cut corners, it'll ruin a lot more than it saves. During the 90's cigar boom a local B&M to me at the time (San Diego) lined their advertised "HUGE walk-in humidor" with Cedar Chipboard!!! You couldn't get near it for the first week or so and even after 1 month your eyes burned after looking over their selection. I tried to politely warn them during construction, but they were dead set on saving money and "cedar is cedar" they said. Needless to say they were out of business VERY quickly and I got some good deals on their yet-to-be-delivered inventory that never saw the inside of that humi from hell. BTW You don't need to make the entire project out of Spanish Cedar (Mahogany)- just line the inside with it and make the trays out of it.

I have heard and read that tabaco beattle do not like the smell of Spanish Cedar.

I have heard and read that tabaco beattle do not like the smell of Spanish Cedar.

I doubt the smell of Spanish Cedar is going to deter a tobacco beetle from hatching and eating till his little stomach explodes. I don't think it matters what kind of "smell" is around; if the conditions are right for beetles, they will hatch and eat your prized collection with no remorse. You have been warned.....

Spanish cedar does nothing to curb a beetle outbreak. If you are looking to save money, Honduran mahogany is an inexpensive alternative to Spanish cedar.

Nope, it doesn't stop beetles, or even slow em down as far as I know. Spanish cedar was used since (at least) the 19th century for its RH buffering. With 21st century beads, foam, etc, it's largely obsolete in that regard. It has been known to impart a cedar flavor that some, me included, find pleasing. The mixed oder of cedar and tobacco in a well seasoned humidor is heaven. Many boxes holding quality cigars are also built with it.

Back