• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Davidoff Aniversario No. 3 Tubo

lordlister

You can observe a lot by just watching
I've been smoking cigars for about 20 years, and until today I've never had the pleasure of smoking a Davidoff. I'm aware of a small group of enthusiasts that swear by them, but it seems that there's a larger group of smokers that lament the lack of flavour and the price. Nonetheless, I've been avoiding $20 plus smokes for the past several years. I'm aware that there are several phenomenal sticks out there worthy of the price tag, but I find that I'm often left with the impression that I didn't get my money's worth. At this years Las Vegas herf, I was urged by Dave and Elittle to at least give Davidoff a try. They both highly recommended the millenium lancero, but heartily reassured me that there are several worthy smokes in the line up. I've been on the lookout for these smokes since then, but at the right price.

I've had this cigar stashed away in my humidor for almost a year now (it was my one and only Davidoff). Atuck sent it to me as part of the $25 sampler he organized for charity. I never found the occasion to smoke it til' today. I finally felt in the mood.

It's been raining quite briskly today here in Blue Grass, so I thought I'd turn on the TV and light this beauty up by the fireplace. I poured myself a tall cold glass of Diet Sams Club soda (libation of the gods), scored and lift the cap with my handy Xicar, and took a few prelight draws (perfect, but rather tasteless). Construction was impressive, and appears to have been crafted with love. No soft spots were appreciable, and only a few thin veins were appreciable. The wrapper had a beautiful amber glow.

gallery_3211_658_43705.jpg

Toasted the foot, took a few puffs, and wispy white grey smoke billowed with abandon. Immediately, I was awestruck with the complex bouquet of flavour from this gem. There was a unique sweet bready taste that I've never had the pleasure of experiencing before. The sweetness was muted and refined, reminiscent of tapioka. I could appreciate light elements of cedar, wood, paper, and toast. These baseline characteristics remained throughout the entire smoke, and represent what I believe Dave states as the unique "Davidoff taste that keeps you comming back for more". The burn remained even until the very end, with no touch ups necessary.

gallery_3211_658_1419.jpg

gallery_3211_658_36699.jpg

gallery_3211_658_23711.jpg

In the second third, the flavours became more prononced, and became more medium in strength. The baseline characteristics remained unchanged, but now I could appreciate hints of butter and white pepper intermingled with the sweet bready flavour.

gallery_3211_658_43239.jpg

I finished the cigar to the nub until my fingers were burning. What a fine cigar, and I'm quite thankful to the fine BOTL for giving me the opportunity to partake in the experience. Now, I need more...

I agree they are very nice cigars. If it weren't for the price I would smoke a ton of these.

I like them, and Dunhills... but way too expensive for my budget.

Nice review and I'm glad you liked it!

"Butter and white pepper.." That's how I remember it as well. Great review.

Great review, thanks for doing it. So would you say it was worth the price tag then?

Nice review and I agree 100% with your assessment of this smoke. One of my favorites even if I will only smoke about 1 per year.

If you want smokes that are about the same flavor for $5 or less per stick, keep a look out for the "3X3" Tubos at your local B&M. They are silver tubes with a white band and says 3x3 in maroon. They are Kelner imperfects, over-runs, seconds, what have you, and I've smoked a few and they are every bit as delicious as the Davidoffs.

Nice review and I agree 100% with your assessment of this smoke. One of my favorites even if I will only smoke about 1 per year.

If you want smokes that are about the same flavor for $5 or less per stick, keep a look out for the "3X3" Tubos at your local B&M. They are silver tubes with a white band and says 3x3 in maroon. They are Kelner imperfects, over-runs, seconds, what have you, and I've smoked a few and they are every bit as delicious as the Davidoffs.

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone. To answer Mo's question, I would have to say that this smoke is worth the asking price (trust me, I've been looking since I finished this one. I think you can find them in the $18 range at serious cigars and Jack Schwartz. I'll have to give some of the CP sponsers a call). I have to say without hesitation that I'll have to hunt down Flamchop's recomendation. I could get these into my regular rotation at $13 a stick.

Edit to add: Judging from the strong Euro and the additional taxes, I bet these are even more expensive in Germany! I would have to say, though, that if I were Shawn and lived in Europe, these would be worth the coin if they matched the prices of the high end island stuff.

Nice review, Jason. I too only recently discovered Davidoff, and I'm glad I did. I had a Davidoff 100th Anni Diademas Fina while in Vegas, and suffice it to say I'll be getting more of these in the near future.

Mmmm, this review got my mouth watering! I'm gong to have to pick up a Millennium this weekend....one of the best cigars I've ever had.

Another great review. :thumbs:

I love Davidoffs and particularly their Mil. blends. Fantastic sticks, blending, craftsmanship, flavor, burn, all around.