• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

La Flor de Cano Short Churchill

Marco-Polo

Go Irish Go!
Cigar: La Flor de Cano (Honduras)
Size: Short Churchill (Toro), 6x50
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sumatra, Maduro
Filler: Honduras, Nicaragua, Mexico
Drink: Bourbon & water.

Executive Summary: Well-balanced, well-constructed, smooth and solidly medium-strength maduro cigar. Highly recommended. 8.6/10

Preamble: One of the mess of 5-packs I bought on CBid in March, these were about $2 apiece (I think I paid $9 or $11). Manufactured in Honduras by General Cigar. I've had 2 of the 5 so far and have enjoyed both very much. And after yesterday's disappointing Hoyo de Monterrey Sabroso, which I started off liking and ended up tossing, it's time to pick up a decent value stick for a review. Or at least that's the idea. Sorry, no pics on this one yet, they're in the camera but I have a new laptop without Canon software on it.

Appearance: Nice dark maduro cigar, the wrapper about as dark as the Hoyo Dark Sumatra (which I also enjoyed). Hemispherical head, smooth cap. Wrapper is smooth and shiny/oily, small and almost imperceptible veins. Tobacco at the foot is very dark as well and smoothly trimmed (mmm ... looking forward to smoking). Cigar is well filled and very firm to the touch. Band is large and red, very classic. Dominant prelight odor is coffee. And finally, a little effort required to clip the little bastard. 8.5/10

Taste: First puffs are smooth, a little acridness at the back of the throat which goes away quickly. Flavors are slightly muddled, but reminescent of a Punch double maduro (which is by no means a slight; it's one of my favorites). Coffee and woody/earthy flavors dominate throughout, with a tangy pepper note emerging partway through. The intensity of flavor is medium and holds its own with the bourbon (Evan Williams, in case anyone's interested), but the cigar is very smooth and entirely lacks the acrid/bitter note that is common among inexpensive (and mexican) tobaccos. NB - it starts medium and ends medium, not going through the mild-medium-medium-full transition as the stick heats up. The flavors develop and change in intensity subtly through the cigar. The smoke is slightly sweet, very flavorful, and there's plenty of it. And it stays good until your fingers are burning, well past the band. Still, a lack of complexity keeps the cigar from being rated higher. 8/10

Construction: After a string of cigars with middling construction, the Flor de Cano has absolutely excellent construction. Burn is straight and even throughout. It lit readily. The draw was perfect. You could see the little line of flame at the wrapper. A little poking and prodding reveals no tunnelling. The ash is salt and pepper and solid, and on the second drop held on for a full 2 inches. 9/10

Time elapsed: 1 hr 20 mins

Good gosh, I saw "La Flor de Cano Short Churchill" in your title and just about had a heart attack. :D

Nice review. Sounds like a cigar I've got to try. :)

Wilkey

Good gosh, I saw "La Flor de Cano Short Churchill" in your title and just about had a heart attack. :D

Nice review. Sounds like a cigar I've got to try. :)

Wilkey

Lol.....that's what I thought too :laugh: