• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Think before posting a reply to a question/topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rod

Administrator
Staff member
Guys - I have asked this over and over again... If someone asks a questions, please don't give a smart ass response. This only degrades the community, and pushes people away. Posting images as a response does absolutely nothing positive. Not only that, but when those images are deleted from wherever they're linked from, it will result in an empty post. I'm not calling any one individual out; I'm seeing this occur by multiple members, and it needs to stop. Next time it happens, you will be warned publicly, and if it happens again, you'll be suspended. I have too much time, effort and money invested in CP, and I'm not going to see it be degraded by useless posts.

Again - think before you post. If you're not adding anything positive to the topic/question, then don't respond, it's that simple.

Thank you,
Rod

[Seanholio] 12:30 pm: Supersonic rounds are pretty much unsuppressible, anyhow.
["K"] 12:31 pm: then supersonic rounds and i have something in common
[Josh] 12:31 pm: kevin, you're both annoyingly loud?
["K"] 12:31 pm: see, this is why Rod hates smart ass comments
[Josh] 12:32 pm: Kevin, if Rod truly hated smartass comments he wouldn't spend so much time in chat.
[robbiex0r] 12:32 pm: in fact.. he'd shut down chat altogether

So says chat, so it shall be.

I'm not sure I fully understand your request here Rod. I can understand asking us to be nice to the new guys until they learn the ropes, as that is simply common curtousy in a community.

That being said, much of the reason I spend time on this forum is the free flowing, guys sitting around a table exchanging information, while at the same time giving each other crap. We have stressed that CP is much more than a forum, that it is a community. I know you are interested in a cigar wiki, but I don't think the forum should be compared to that standard. The forum is full of impressive information, laced with the personalities of the people who contribute it.

Are you kidding me? This forum is populated by type A , obsessive compulsive, anal retentive men. We're not normal.
Doc.

In my opinion, this place wouldn't be worth spending time at if Freebern didn't wear a tiara.

Actually, this is nothing new. It has been stressed many times in the past to limit the number of useless posts - ever since CP was started. Yes, this is a community, but some of the recent posts are simply useless and add no value. Especially when pictures are posted without any content. CP is not a cigar wiki by any means, it's a community, but lets use some common sense and practice a bit more courtesy. I can dig up old threads where this same exact issue was brought up many times in the past - I'm simply reiterating it. If the majority disagrees with our established rules, I encourage them to speak up.

By the way, chat is chat, it's not logged and archived forever, big difference there. :)

By the way, chat is chat, it's not logged and archived forever, big difference there. :)

And I'm thankful for that. I hear prison food is awful.

And I'm thankful for that. I hear prison food is awful.
Don't low rate yourself Josh. I'm sure you'd leave smiles all over the cellblock... on the downside, you'd have squishy shoes.

NA

True is that may be, I'd still rather do it on the outside. :laugh:

I was under the impression that Josh was a hamster man??:

"[Josh] 9:23 pm: Maybe I should downgrade to hampster molester then.
[Josh] 9:25 pm: All I know is that their squeaks say no but their eyes say yes."

I am so very tempted to post a photo of a hamster, but given the subject of this thread, I shall refrain. :whistling:

SUSPENDED?? SUSPENDED?? SUSPENDED?? SUSPENDED?? SUSPENDED??

I was under the impression that Josh was a hamster man??:

"[Josh] 9:23 pm: Maybe I should downgrade to hampster molester then.
[Josh] 9:25 pm: All I know is that their squeaks say no but their eyes say yes."

I am so very tempted to post a photo of a hamster, but given the subject of this thread, I shall refrain. :whistling:

I'm a man of many flavors.

Subtle as it may be, I guess we got Neals answer. My reply is, you've got the best cigar board on the internet, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. This place is special because people are free to be themselves, wise ass, intellectual, whatever. I'm quite aware that I may be the No.1 offender but I am what I am and that's all that I am. I enjoy making people laugh. Nothing gives me more satisfaction. When someone posts, "Doc makes me laugh at least once a day" I've made my contribution to CP. I think you'll find the majority disagrees with you. Otherwise, why has this been going on since time immemorial?

Doc.

I don't think I'm being clear...

Doc, I agree with you 100%. Neal - same thing, his posts are witty, absolutely nothing wrong with that.

When someone posts a bunch of messages, and half of their posts are pictures with little to no content, that is what I'm trying to curb. Most of the pictures are found from google images, and are linked from CP to wherever their primary location is. When the owner of those pictures decides to delete them, we end up with BLANK POSTS at CP. Aside from that, if someone (especially a new member) asks an honest question and is greeted with smart ass comments and pictures linked from other sites - it's simply not cool.

Not trying to make a huge deal about this, rather simply point this out. Please consider what you're posting before making the post. I'm in no way trying to change this community or moderate what people say.

I would propose that the problem is not that there is no thought before posting. Rather, I think Rod is suggesting that that thought be directed toward consideration of whether one's post will contribute materially to the topic at hand. In my opinion, this does not mean that it must always be high quality technical information or relevant personal experience. Humor or a little topical ribbing might be among the many possible appropriate responses.

I think Rod becomes chagrined when posts distract from the thread and that distraction can manifest in any one of a number of ways. A non-sequitur remark, a disembodied smiley not tied to a point in another post (via quoting), or an image meant to be humorous but with a connection that is unclear, ambiguous, or otherwise disembedded from the context of the thread. A lot of different people from a lot of different backgrounds read here and more and more posts from more and more users go up each passing day. Sometimes a little extra clarity can save a whole lot of misunderstanding.

In other words, make your post count*, not just your "post count."

Wilkey

* adding content, sharing experience, using humor, being clear, building one-on-one camaraderie, building group solidarity, etc. We might not always think about these things before posting, but while not every post need to serve one of these functions, it's nice for all if the majority do. Exercise of thought builds habit.

Wilkey,

That's exactly what I'm trying to say; thanks for helping to clarify. The more specific forums are there for ALL of you, members, guests, etc, to gain information to whatever the topic at hand may be (humidors, Cuban cigar talk, cigar talk, pipe room, etc). If someone asks an honest question about something, posting a comedic statement and/or picture that doesn't add any useful information to the question/topic is pointless. The forum is a community, not a chat room. When someone wants to research something, the posts which add zero information do nothing but interfere. Joking around with someone you know, or posting in the lobby is one thing. Interfering with honest questions is another. Again, nothing new here, simply pointing out what we've been doing for the past 8 years. I for one don't want to see the community turn into a bunch of useless posts. In most cases, there is absolutely no reason to make 30+ posts per day. This has been recently brought up, and it really does need to be addressed. Your post count means nothing, its the reputation you create here. Again, nothing new - this has been stated by many "FOGS" many times in the past.

If you have any questions, concerns, comments, please PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.