• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A newb ponders pests

DePixeler

I did a bad thing the other day. I started adding up the dollar value of what's sitting in my humis. Then I noted that ambient temp in my house is around 78 in the summer (I live in Florida). RH is controlled (well) by beads. But now I'm just kinda semi-obsessed about the possibility of beetles. BTW I keep the cello on. All my stock is non-Cuban. I've searched and read and realize beetles are a risk above (consensus says) 72 deg. A coolidor has been veto'd by the bride who doesn't want another appliance in the house. Before I go freeze my Humi, has anyone actually experienced an infestation? . Any Deep South folks with advice? Or is it much ado about nothing? My current strategy is to just limit my inventory to a number of sticks I'll actually smoke in a reasonable amount of time. Wow C-bid makes that a tough strategy to live by :cool: I inspect incoming boxes for feces and pinholes in the sticks. I'm thinking of freezing incoming packages (Thanks in advance to Wilkey for his thread). I check the humi for flying insects on every open.

This is all stuff I've gleaned from searching the forums. Thought I'd put it out there again for the latest thoughts and in case I've missed something. Summer is not my friend here in FLA. at least as far as my stogies go.

First off, a coolidor isnt really an appliance. It doesnt use electricity and can be compact enough to shove under a desk. Secondly, my coolidor has a constant 78 degrees F and 65% RH and I have never had any beetle issues (ISOMS and non-ISOMS, with and w/ol Cello). I have never seen first handle a beetle in a cigar nor have I seen the tunnels they make in a cigar. I would have to say Im doing something right then.

Hope my useless post helps :)

Ah, my bad. My wife doesn't want me to construct a wine-coolidor, a refrigerated humi. Somehow she thinks I have too many hobbies and related "stuff" in the house.

Hmm and as I ponder more, it looks like maybe I shoulda put this in the Humidor section. Mods, feel free to move it you like.

I live in AZ and 77-80 was just too warm to make me feel comfortable. I have seen many beetles but those have come more from shipping in warm temps. 78 you will most likely be okay, but that's not a risk I am willing to take. I run my wine cooler all year and don't even own a humi anymore. To each his own. My cooler is HERE.

If you are really worried.....FREEZEEEEEEEEE THEMMMMMMMM. Once the egg is destroyed, there is no way the beetle can develop...no matter what the temp.

I have a large plastic travel cigar humidor with a fail proof seal. See Here

I place the cigars inside humidor and then inside my freezer for three to four days.
I then remove them from the freezer and place them for one day in the refrigerator.
I have yet to notice any difference in the taste of my cigars.

If you are really worried.....FREEZEEEEEEEEE THEMMMMMMMM. Once the egg is destroyed, there is no way the beetle can develop...no matter what the temp.

I place the cigars inside humidor and then inside my freezer for three to four days.
I then remove them from the freezer and place them for one day in the refrigerator.

I agree with Mandy who has recently talked me down from a high bridge after a possible beetle scare. Freeze them and bring them back to temp slowly as described. If you have not actually seen any signs yet, ya might wanna take a breath first.

It has been mentioned before that our freezers do not get cold enough to crack and therefore destroy beetle eggs. We can only hope to kill beetles that have already hatched. I believe the temperatures have to be somewhere in the negative 20's.

It has been mentioned before that our freezers do not get cold enough to crack and therefore destroy beetle eggs. We can only hope to kill beetles that have already hatched. I believe the temperatures have to be somewhere in the negative 20's.

Here's what I have read,

" Cigar Beetle eggs can be killed by exposure to temperatures easily obtainable by home refrigerators/freezers. An industrial deep freeze is not required, as rumor has indicated.

There is a direct correlation between the time it takes to kill and temperature. The colder the temp, the shorter it takes to kill eggs.

The figures below are time to kill 95% (abbreviated LT95) of eggs exposed to the environment. Keep this in mind when applying these figures to cigars because 1) we want to kill 100% of eggs and 2) any eggs inside our cigars have a thick layer of insulating tobacco that must be cooled before the eggs will reach that temperature.

5c (41f) requires ~12 days (275 hours)
0c (32f) requires ~9 days (220 hours)
-5c (23f) requires ~4 days (100 hours)
-10c (14f) requires less than 24 hours
-15c (5f) requires less than 24 hours
-20c (-4f) requires less than 24 hours

The length of time you should freeze your cigars depends on the temperature your freezer is at. I highly recommend that everyone using their freezer to treat cigars keeps a fridge/freezer thermometer in there so they know roughly what temp range their freezer runs at. These are available at most grocery stores, usually with baking supplies. From experience I have seen home freezers that run anywhere from 1 degree below freezing to as low as -25c.
Right now I am trying to get data on how long it takes a cigar to go from room temp to 5c, and from 5c to -20c. Based on data from other consumables I estimate it would take a cigar at least 24 hours to reach the same temperature as the freezer (equilibrium) when it is moved into the freezer from the refrigerator. Based on this alone one should add 24 hours to amount of time cigars are kept in the freezer.
The times given above are to kill 95% of eggs. I have not found times required to kill 99.9% of eggs but doubling the LT95 for that temperature should be more than sufficient.

IN SUMMARY

Double bag your cigars and let them spend 24 hours in the refrigerator. I think everyone agrees that this gives the cigars a safe transition from room temp to near freezing. Move the cigars into the freezer. How long they should stay there depends on your freezer temp. If it is below -10c 72 hours in the freezer should be sufficient. That's 24 hours to get the cigars to -10c, 24 hours to kill 95% of eggs, and an extra 24 hours for good measure. When coming out of the freezer it is a good idea to let the cigars spend 24 hours in the fridge, and another 24 hours at room temp STILL SEALED IN THE BAGS. This protects the cigars from rapid changes in temp/humidity.

I know there are some out there who prefer to avoid freezing because of potential damage to cigars and the rest period required afterwards. The time required will vary greatly based upon the temp of your fridge. Keep in mind the temp will also fluctuate based on door opening/closing etc. (Although this occurs in the freezer, it is less of an issue due to the comparatively short time required) With an LT95 of 12 days at 5c I would personally keep cigars in there for at least 3 weeks.

This information should be applied to uninfested cigars for prevention of a beetle outbreak. If you have cigars that are infested or you know have been exposed to beetles they should be subjected to more lengthy treatment because they will presumably have far more eggs present than any uninfested cigars that picked up some eggs during manufacture. "