• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

This is not right!

Gonz

Ultra Runner
Well, not ruined in the way you probably imagined. A friend just rec'd this box, take a look at what some countries require on your cigar boxes! I recalled Wilkey mentioning this a while back, but had never seen an image of it before! The bummer is that it ruins the box itself, certainly not something I would want to see everytime I open my humi for a smoke!

IMG_1628.jpg

IMG_1629.jpg

Yup!

And a perfectly good display box is ruined!

Put a smiley face sticker over it! :D

The box is not ruined.

1 - Remove cigars from box
2 - Nab wife's hair dryer and use to heat and remove unwanted sticker(s)
3 - Reinsert cigars into box

It's the sign of the times, and it's been the sign of the times. Gotta adapt to it. Some countries have less shocking sticker depictions if that is any sway to "your friend".

The box is not ruined.

It's the sign of the times, and it's been the sign of the times. Gotta adapt to it. Some countries have less shocking sticker depictions if that is any sway to "your friend".

Yep. All it takes is a little heat and the sticker should come right off.

The box is not ruined.

Yep. All it takes is a little heat and the sticker should come right off.

That's good to know, since these were for my freind's brother-in-law's wedding. Just what wedding attendees want to see, a nice box of cigars with a cancerous lung on the top!

Heat doesn't work. It makes the sticker come off easier, however it leaves the sticky on the box. Trust me, I've tried it. I have several very nice Sir Winnie lacquer (sp?) boxes with these on the top and bottom. I took them off of one (heat and alchohol, couple hours work), however gave up on the rest. I'm pretty much used to it now.

Still....it sucks!

Whatever that picture is on the front of that box looks delicious. Is that Chinese food?

- Retire cigars to the humidor
- Remove the label with the hair dryer technique
- Use Goof Off to get the gunk off the box
- Leave the box outside or in another well ventilated area for a day or two to "outgas"
- Return, replace, store and admire...... :cool:

Cheers - B.B.S.

- Retire cigars to the humidor
- Remove the label with the hair dryer technique
- Use Goof Off to get the gunk off the box
- Leave the box outside or in another well ventilated area for a day or two to "outgas"
- Return, replace, store and admire...... :cool:

Cheers - B.B.S.

Acetone based nail polish remover will also easily remove the adhesive. I know many of the nail polish removers now tout themselves as being non-acetone. They're ethyl acetate, which actually isn't much better at all, but I don't know how well these work on adhesives.

I've found that Goof Off is far more harsh than Goo Gone. Goof Off will eat through many paints, so it might not be very friendly towards the box. Goo Gone will probably take off the sticker residue without doing as much damage to the box, but I'd try it on an inconspicuous spot just to be sure. Also, Goo Gone smells pretty heavily of citrus, so I'm not sure whether that might have an adverse effect on things as well.

Good luck!

Definitely do not use Goof Off. That contains xylene. Goo Gone contains citrus oils. It will leave a fruity residue because it's an oil.

Wilkey

I actually tried Goo Gone first, however it didn't work well at all. The only other thing I had in the house was a bottle of alcohol, which didn't work the greatest, but with a bit of elbow grease the sticky mess came off and didn't hurt the finish. I was using cotton balls, so when it came to the underside of the box it didn't work well. I also removed the stickers on a dress box and it cleaned both top and bottom. I know I used to work in a garage many years ago and we would remove window stickers with cans of starter fluid (ether). Now that cleaned it right off. Just...don't have a cigar lit if you go to use it. :laugh:

Wow pretty strong stuff. It isnt bad enough that they put this on TV and scare the crap out of the kids. I know my kids beg me to not smoke

The laws down under are worse than here. Imagine that! ???

Brian