• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

$20. Many choices.

Joho

Hello all,

I'm relatively new to the world of cigars. At the moment I'm a little low on money (trying to be a financial turtle to pay for upcoming tuition bills). My girlfriend, however, has generously slipped a $20 bill into my wallet. A few months ago I luckily decide to think ahead and buy a Valentine's Day gift extra early, so now I have $20 to spend. :)

With $20, what cigars would you recommend me trying? My goal is to sample as much as possible during my first few months, and unfortunately I won't get a paycheck I can spend for a while, so this purchase has to last me!

So far I've had an Arturo Fuente Curly Head a few weeks ago and a Carlos Torano Exodus 1959 just last week. I have a CAO Gold sitting in my humidor. I want to stay on the mild-medium end of things for the time being. Sampler/taster packs would be fabulous too, if anyone could recommend a specific site or specific pack.

Thanks !!

Private Stocks are a cheaper cigar made by Davidoff? and are pretty good. I had one last night.

Otherwise if you havent tried a Monte Cristo I would do so, though they are in the 6-10 dollar range.

Add an extra zero and do the newbie sampler trade :thumbs:

Private Stocks are a cheaper cigar made by Davidoff? and are pretty good. I had one last night.

Otherwise if you havent tried a Monte Cristo I would do so, though they are in the 6-10 dollar range.

Now I understand Montecristo and a few other cigar brands are both Cuban and non-Cuban due to the creators fleeing Cuba and re-establishing the brand elsewhere. When one of these brands is typically mentioned, is the Cuban version being referred to or the non-Cuban? And in what ways are they different?

For $20, it's going to be hard picking up more then 3-4 cigars, but here are a few off the top of my head.

AF Chateau, 858s
Padrons 2000 series

Search is your friend. There's a ton of threads on 'your favorite cheap cigar,' 'your favorite under $5 cigar,' your favorite $2 cigar,' etc.

Edit: I was typing while northernmoris' response came up.

For $20, it's going to be hard picking up more then 3-4 cigars, but here are a few off the top of my head.

AF Chateau, 858s
Padrons 2000 series

I don't expect to be getting more than 3-4 cigars. I can't find the time to smoke as often as many seasoned cigar smokers so three or four will last me a while. Thanks for your suggestions. :)

A simple search of low budget cigars will bring up a lot..

I couldn't think of what words to search, but I will do this. Thanks!

Chateau Fuente sungrown should be one of your choices. Best $3.50 on the planet.

Doc

Now I understand Montecristo and a few other cigar brands are both Cuban and non-Cuban due to the creators fleeing Cuba and re-establishing the brand elsewhere. When one of these brands is typically mentioned, is the Cuban version being referred to or the non-Cuban? And in what ways are they different?

Personally? Non cuban as they are readily available. Cubans are... more difficult..

Chateau Fuente sungrown should be one of your choices. Best $3.50 on the planet.

Doc

Shhhhh........

Do you guys give those some downtime before smoking them? Just curious, as I haven't been that impressed.

I have some that have been put down for over a year and are excellent smokes.

Yes, I do. IMO the sungrown cigars tend to be a little harsh when young, but are excellent with just a year or two on them. Granted, I'm not above smoking them young :laugh: , but I just smoked through my last box of 2005 and DAMN, they get much better with age.

It's the same thing with VSGs, for me. I've been fortunate to smoke a VSG Round and WOW, those things are so smooth and yet complex, but without the in your face strength. Wish I could find more.

Do you have a humidor set up yet? or are you just keeping in a plastic container or drawer?

BUY AN AF HEMINGWAY SHORT STORY, six pack of beer (IPA), and then you can get a #4 from Wendy's.

Do you have a humidor set up yet? or are you just keeping in a plastic container or drawer?

Yes, I just received my humidor today (topic here) and I'm currently in the process of seasoning it.

I'll definitely look into the Arturo Fuente line especially. My first cigar was a Curly Head and it wasn't all too bad; I can't imagine what the more expensive ones would taste like. :)

I'll definitely look into the Arturo Fuente line especially. My first cigar was a Curly Head and it wasn't all too bad; I can't imagine what the more expensive ones would taste like. :)
Don't get fooled into thinking the more expensive a cigar is, the better it will be, though.

AF Chateau, 858s
Padrons 2000 series

Both very solid smokes. :thumbs:

Don't get fooled into thinking the more expensive a cigar is, the better it will be, though.

Definitely not. I just see that most of the more expensive Arturo Fuente cigars generally have higher ratings than the Curly Head.

Add that $20 bucks to your Valentines budget and show your girl how special she is, pm me your addy, and I'll send you some cigars.