• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Senator suggest's lifting the embargo

So much talk these days about easing restrictions, we'll see if it's followed with any real action.

Not to make it political but..

"But like his predecessor, George W. Bush, Obama has said he believes the embargo provides important leverage with the country's leaders. "

This is why I think it will be a long time before it happens.

"But like his predecessor, George W. Bush, Obama has said he believes the embargo provides important leverage with the country's leaders. "

I agree Niko. I don't think we'll see a change anytime soon. But then again, what do I know?

I agree Niko. I don't think we'll see a change anytime soon. But then again, what do I know?

As a retailer how do you think a lifting of the embargo would effect your business Isy? Do you think shops will start stocking Cohiba's and Monte's to the detriment of Padron, Fuente et al? or do you thin it will be just like a new release on the shelves?

I hope you don't mind the questions but I was curious to get a retailers view.

I'm sure Cuban cigar sales will increase dramatically, as everyone wants to try something that has been forbidden for so long. Almost everyone thinks Cuban cigars are the best, so I'm sure sales will increase (especially from weekend warriors). Those who have been in this hobby for any length of time most likely won't run out to puchase Cubans, at least not right away. Those who rarely smoke cigars, or don't smoke at all will probably be the biggest buyers of Cubans. It will be a novelty item to many.

Think about SCHIP... How can you finance such a plan backed by a market in decline? Open the doors to Cuban cigars, that's how. Ultimately ending the embargo and allowing the sale of Cuban cigars in the US will help fund this nonsense program. Who knows what will happen, though it seems the dominoes are lining up just right for an end to the embargo.

As a retailer how do you think a lifting of the embargo would effect your business Isy? Do you think shops will start stocking Cohiba's and Monte's to the detriment of Padron, Fuente et al? or do you thin it will be just like a new release on the shelves?

I don't mind at all, brother. I've had this conversation with a few people and what I think is that in opening up trade, there will be a rush for Cuban cigars, not unlike the cigar boom of the 90s. What will happen is that in a rush to put out those cigars, the quality control will go down. The quality control standards will decline, and they will also be putting out cigars with tobacco that hasn't properly aged. I don't want to see this stuff flood the market. What I would like to see is how these NC cigar makers will take the Cuban tobacco and blend it with others. I know some manufacturers are looking forward to that, so don't be surprised to see that happen. But I think all this talk is premature. i don't see any changes for quite some time. That's my opinion, at least.

Yep, that's the same thing I honed in on as well. Just about every article that the drama queens in the press write with all the headlines and the bravado is just to get you to read their article or buy their newspaper. When you actually READ the article, they have to at least be objective in the content or they have no credibility. The had to include the statement that Niko quoted which is why I agree with Niko 100%. The Trading With the Enemy Act is here to stay for quite a while.

Last time I checked though, Lugar and the Republicans aren't in the majority so he can flap his gums all he wants. :laugh: Now if some Senate Democrat leader were saying something, there would be more of a story.

Another non-news item.... :rolleyes:

"We must recognize the ineffectiveness of our current policy and deal with the Cuban regime in a way that enhances U.S. interests," wrote Sen. Richard Lugar, R-Ind., in a report dated Monday.
INEFFECTIVE? :whistling:

This will be in effect until the generations that remember the Cold War are out of power. As times passes, the memory of Americans get shorter and shorter.

Even if the embargo did end, the legalities of 'who owns what in what market' would take quite a bit of time to sort out before cigars ever get to the US.

I don't mind at all, brother. I've had this conversation with a few people and what I think is that in opening up trade, there will be a rush for Cuban cigars, not unlike the cigar boom of the 90s. What will happen is that in a rush to put out those cigars, the quality control will go down. The quality control standards will decline, and they will also be putting out cigars with tobacco that hasn't properly aged. I don't want to see this stuff flood the market. What I would like to see is how these NC cigar makers will take the Cuban tobacco and blend it with others. I know some manufacturers are looking forward to that, so don't be surprised to see that happen. But I think all this talk is premature. i don't see any changes for quite some time. That's my opinion, at least.

Isy, thanks for your insight! I've had this discussion with a few retailers and they seemd to think similarly. It's always good to get the thoughts of those in the business.

Blah blah blah... I'm the man of the world and I will move the USA into that direction. Everyone remember Obama slamming down our throats during the campaign? I do...I see when a politician speaks, its nothing but lies so they can get your vote.

This line shows the real Obama. "But like his predecessor, George W. Bush, Obama has said he believes the embargo provides important leverage with the country's leaders."

He isn't going to lift the Embargo because like every President since Kennedy, has tried to force our core beliefs onto a country and if they don't agree, place heavy embargos on them. Yet we trade which China which undermines anything that is said. He will lift the Embargo about as soon as he can stop spending Trillions of $$$. As he isn't going to stop, there is no lifting of the Embargo. :laugh:

I'm a new guy to cigar pass, but I have a pretty sharp business mind, and am no amature to cigars. What I think is going to happen is just exactly what you said about the quality, that it will go down vastly with the numbers, and I think the cubans now are going to go up to the likes of the old cuban Davidoffs when that happens. So it would be wise, in my opinion, to start stocking up now by whatever means possible to start aging this quality cigars they are making now. I truly believe it is going to be a long term thing, but in 10 years the cohiba and monte's you have now will be a gold mine. That being said, I've never bought a cigar just to sell it; this is just my opinion.

Congress is voting on a change in the Cuban-Americans ability to go to the island from once every three years to once a year. It will go to the senate and then Obama will sign. Similar to the policy in GeeDubyas first term. A far cry from what he promised in his campaign that he would like to see US Citizens visit without restrictions. US Citizens visiting the island at this moment do not benefit the two countries. In order for the Castro brothers to maintain power and control they need the common folk struggling and living a miserable life in the pits. They don't need loudmouthed gringos rolling in on their 38' Cigarettes and spreading around the good cheer, that's just not communist-like. Besides they'll drive themselves crazy tracking down all the Americans coming in..."Who is he CIA, FBI, Secret Service, Nate Berman?" They wouldn't mentally be able to handle it. Besides the fact that they don't have the infrastucture to handle the anticipated amount of people (5 million in the 1st year). On the US side there are probably some special interests that oppose unlimited visits by US Citizens. Disney, Vegas and any Mom-n-Pop hotel that is stuggling to pay their light bill. Especially Vegas. The bottom line is tourist dollars will funnel out of here and the US Economy does not need that at this moment. The Cuban people had heavily counted on Americans coming down this year, but its just not convenient at this time. Sorry to break the reality to you fellas, I would have like to have seen you all down there swinging from a tree with an HC7 in one hand and a puro in the other. John

I've made it clear to my wife many times, once the kids are gone, I am going back into the Peace Corps.

Peace Corps Cuba... That would be amazing.

It's fun to speculate but the embargo is not going anywhere. I will be amazed if it is lifted in my lifetime and I plan on living another 30-40 years :)

Until such time as something directly affects a politician, they will never DO anything about it. This applies to everything! Politicians are the only people that I know who create a problem, and then campaign on a platform of fixing the very same problem they created! :0

remember thought that even if/when the embargo ends... All the Cuban brand names can't be used in the US because of the various patent lawsuit decisions. No Cuban Cohibas/Montes/Partagas', etc... will be hitting US shelves ANYTIME soon

remember thought that even if/when the embargo ends... All the Cuban brand names can't be used in the US because of the various patent lawsuit decisions. No Cuban Cohibas/Montes/Partagas', etc... will be hitting US shelves ANYTIME soon
True once, perhaps not so true anymore.

Imperial Tobacco, through Altadis, Altadis USA, and Habanos SA, more-or-less owns/shares the world-wide rights to the following current Cuban brands: Montecristo, H. Upmann, Romeo y Julieta, Trinidad, Juan Lopez, Por Larrañaga, Quintero, and Saint Luis Rey. If Imperial Tobacco doesn't have a plan to get the Cuban versions of these brands into their US distribution channel and JR Cigars (which they also own) within hours of an embargo lifting, then they are the dumbest business people ever.

Habanos S.A. just introduced a whole new line of cigars - the Montecristo Open. Like the Monte Edmundo/Petit Edmundo, the new line sounds like it has been blended to American tastes and buying/smoking habits. Hmm. Maybe Imperial Tobacco isn't so dumb?

Of course, nobody knows what kind of "understanding" that Swedish Match and Imperial Tobacco have/will come to. That will be interesting. (Swedish Match AB is the US rights holder to: Bolivar, Cohiba, Hoyo de Monterrey, La Gloria Cubana, Partagas, Punch, Rafael Gonzalez, and Sancho Panza. Swedish Match's retail outlet is Cigars International.)

However, the real cat fight will be between Bacardi and Pernod Ricard/Cuba Ron SA over Havana Club. (HC probably has more sales than the entire Cuban cigar industry.)

Actually there is a way to benefit the USA for travel restrictions to Cuba to be lifted. Honduras has a exit fee placed on when you leave the country. I do not like extra fees, but it would be a way to help increase some cash flow. When I left Honduras, it was like a $30 fee to leave. Its not a lot but if you sit down and think how many Americans would head to see Cuba would me astronomical $$$ to be gathered. As it would still be illegal to bring back Cuban products, but while there you could enjoy it without any laws broken.

Even at a $25 entry fee back into the USA from Cuba would bring in extra $$$ to help put on the deficit. Again, I hate the extra fees but its not like the plane ticket costs more than heading to Russia for example. Now if the fee was say $50, it would still be a lot to gain from it. No one can deny that would detour them from heading to Cuba. I know I would book a ticket there even if it was a $100 fee as I paid when it was all said and done to stay in Russia with a place to stay, language courses, food, and other things like books, it would have been close to $10k. So even $100 wouldn't kill me for a 1 week vacation in Cuba.

But what do I know. :laugh: