• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Windows Home Server OS

woodbm

Drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke
I have an old pc that I was going to get rid of but came across windows home server for $99 and figured I could throw it on this pc, add another internal and external HD then use it as a home media and file server. Has anyone else here used this?

Linky

I have an old pc that I was going to get rid of but came across windows home server for $99 and figured I could throw it on this pc, add another internal and external HD then use it as a home media and file server. Has anyone else here used this?

Linky

I've built a Home Theater PC (HTPC) but I used Vista since it's not really a server but the front end for viewing movies and such as well as the storage. I know a lot of people use it and it's supposed to work well.

Home server had some issues (excuse the lack of details going for memory here) but it was corrupting the whole hard disc due to a logic error, I believe it was fixed by now. But that was the reason you didn't hear about it much and it's cheaper, plus I think it took them almost a year to fix it. If your not planing on using video output from the machine straight to a TV, but rather just pull data across the network, then it should be fine, but if your trying to use it like a DVR of sorts i agree with Swissy go to Vista with Media Center.

Either way I recommend you have at a absolute minimum 1 GB of ram in it, if not 2.

:D
HTPC is a Quad Core with 4gb ram and 3.5tb storage...

:whistling:

I've got a 55" Sony VVega hooked through my PC with a 1000 Watt 7.1 Onkyo and 4 TB's full of movies. Just click and go! Not to mention a wireless mouse/keyboard and a comfy recliner/couch. :D Gotta get up on some games so I can go play with Jim.

Well I went ahead and picked up a copy windows home server. I really like it so far. I have it installed and all of my other computers have pushed all their media files (videos,pictures,music) up to it so it is all centralized. I also have it set up so each of my other computers will perform a backup every night to the server in case they ever crash. I am able to RDP through the homeserver to any of my computers at home from work. This helps to access web sites that are firewalled here at work as well. I can stream music off of my home computers to my work computer. So far so good. It's pretty much a cheaper and more simplistic set up of windows 2003 server. Now I just need to figure how to get it set up to where my mac will back up to the server as well. Thanks for everyone's insight on this.