• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

trouble with beads?

mateo

CP Newbie
I am having a hard time with my tube of beads from heartfelt. They sat in a humidor with some stale cigars unused for a few years. They are now a dark yellow color and when I spray them the humidity won't reach the 65& mark, and drops quickly by 3 or 4 points within a day. The seal is fine on the humidor. Has anyone heard of beads going bad?

I've seen in mentioned quite a few times here that beads will last a long, long, long time. The only thing I have seen that even resembles, "beads going bad", has been an increase in the humidity output. I've seen a few guys here say that their 65% beads are regulating at 70-ish percent after a while, but that really isn't too big a deal as that range is still acceptable (though not as a preference to some perhaps). If they are a dark yellow color, the only thing I can think of is that perhaps they are clogged with something foreign such as PG solution or from using non distilled water (such as tap water). Did you happen to do that? If so, that is probably the root of your problem. I doubt that beads kept in good condition, even in the company of dried out cigars, would go "bad". Of course, this is all just my opinion and I could be totally wrong, I am no expert in chemistry, hell I really don't know much about it at all, but I'd be willing to bet that is what the problem is.

Email Viper, I'm sure he will be more than happy to give you some insight as to what could be ailing those beads. Personally, I'd just toss 'em and order new ones, considering how inexpensive they are.

*EDIT:

Well, you got me curious and I did a bit of searching and came up with these threads:

http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=53497&st=700&p=840650&hl=yellow%20beads&fromsearch=1&#entry840650
http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=47785&st=0&p=704830&hl=yellow%20beads&fromsearch=1&#entry704830
http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=32045&st=20&p=475375&hl=yellow%20beads&fromsearch=1&#entry475375
http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=18929&st=0&p=282742&hl=yellow%20beads&fromsearch=1&#entry282742

It doesn't look like the yellowing is a problem, aside from the fact that it doesn't look pretty. Do your beads smell? (Man, after reading the Bill Clinton thread, that made me laugh typing that) If so, toss 'em, though seeing as they aren't holding water anyways I guess that is probably what you will do regardless whether they smell or not. Looks like Viper gives the reason for the yellowing here:

Do you think that the cigars are creating this color change in the beads? If so, makes me glad I don't smoke 24/7, I don't want my teeth looking like that! :D

It is a combination of the oils and gases the cigars give off as they age and the oils from the spanish cedar that the humidor is made of.

Mine have always seemed to rather be around 70%. I have to dry them out every couple of months in order to keep them closer to 65%. They've yellowed some from using the oven method. I just attributed the increase to the new cigars I was putting in being in the 69%-70% range.

I've seen in mentioned quite a few times here that beads will last a long, long, long time. The only thing I have seen that even resembles, "beads going bad", has been an increase in the humidity output. I've seen a few guys here say that their 65% beads are regulating at 70-ish percent after a while, but that really isn't too big a deal as that range is still acceptable (though not as a preference to some perhaps). If they are a dark yellow color, the only thing I can think of is that perhaps they are clogged with something foreign such as PG solution or from using non distilled water (such as tap water). Did you happen to do that? If so, that is probably the root of your problem. I doubt that beads kept in good condition, even in the company of dried out cigars, would go "bad". Of course, this is all just my opinion and I could be totally wrong, I am no expert in chemistry, hell I really don't know much about it at all, but I'd be willing to bet that is what the problem is.

Email Viper, I'm sure he will be more than happy to give you some insight as to what could be ailing those beads. Personally, I'd just toss 'em and order new ones, considering how inexpensive they are.

*EDIT:

Well, you got me curious and I did a bit of searching and came up with these threads:

http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=53497&st=700&p=840650&hl=yellow%20beads&fromsearch=1&#entry840650
http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=47785&st=0&p=704830&hl=yellow%20beads&fromsearch=1&#entry704830
http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=32045&st=20&p=475375&hl=yellow%20beads&fromsearch=1&#entry475375
http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=18929&st=0&p=282742&hl=yellow%20beads&fromsearch=1&#entry282742

It doesn't look like the yellowing is a problem, aside from the fact that it doesn't look pretty. Do your beads smell? (Man, after reading the Bill Clinton thread, that made me laugh typing that) If so, toss 'em, though seeing as they aren't holding water anyways I guess that is probably what you will do regardless whether they smell or not. Looks like Viper gives the reason for the yellowing here:

Do you think that the cigars are creating this color change in the beads? If so, makes me glad I don't smoke 24/7, I don't want my teeth looking like that! :D

It is a combination of the oils and gases the cigars give off as they age and the oils from the spanish cedar that the humidor is made of.

Mateo, do you see a common denominator in most of the threads you've started? A lot of people are replying that they have found the answer to your questions by searching. If you start another thread, I hope it is entitled "How do I refine my searching skills" instead of yet another question that has been answered.

Beads will also recondition to the ambient humidity if left unattended for a long time. You can easily recondition them by putting them in a sealed container with a know humidity source for a few days to bring them back.

Mateo, do you see a common denominator in most of the threads you've started? A lot of people are replying that they have found the answer to your questions by searching. If you start another thread, I hope it is entitled "How do I refine my searching skills" instead of yet another question that has been answered.

THANK YOU.

I am having a hard time with my tube of beads from heartfelt. They sat in a humidor with some stale cigars unused for a few years. They are now a dark yellow color and when I spray them the humidity won't reach the 65& mark, and drops quickly by 3 or 4 points within a day. The seal is fine on the humidor. Has anyone heard of beads going bad?

#1.) Beads don't go bad.
#2.) I know it ain't your fuggin' seal, it's the fact that you open your damn humidor 3 to 4 times a day to check it. LEAVE. IT. ALONE.
#3.) SEARCH.
#4.) Buy a new tube of beads.

THANK YOU.

#1.) Beads don't go bad.
#2.) I know it ain't your fuggin' seal, it's the fact that you open your damn humidor 3 to 4 times a day to check it. LEAVE. IT. ALONE.
#3.) SEARCH.

Hey Jon, you forgot these:

#5.) Search Again
#6.) Search one more time!

:D

THANK YOU.

#1.) Beads don't go bad.
#3.) SEARCH.

Hey, that's what my momma said about mah e-penis! :sign: :laugh: :laugh:

All good advice here Mateo :thumbs:

Beads will also recondition to the ambient humidity if left unattended for a long time. You can easily recondition them by putting them in a sealed container with a know humidity source for a few days to bring them back.

Interesting. What would you consider a long time? A year? Two?

No, much shorter than that....week or two...can be even less.....days

http://www.apsnyc.com/pdf/silica_gel_reconditioning.pdf

No, much shorter than that....week or two...can be even less.....days

http://www.apsnyc.com/pdf/silica_gel_reconditioning.pdf

That is some excellent information, I hadn't seen nor heard that before! Thank you! I guess I will stick to just air drying mine. :D

Another common denominator in his threads is that he never comes back to them to answer the countless inquiries to his search ability. Who knows if he even reads the advice the guys here give him. Guess it's just easier to start new thread after new thread...

Tom he got banned, he had bigger problems than just his beads!

Beads DO go bad, copper! They're less likely to do so if you don't let them touch anything. I was not so cautious. Still, my last batch lasted 4 years.

Why are many people assuming that the statement in his profile is true?

Doc.

Now I didn't say it was true, but if it IS false that makes it worse. IMHO.