• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Padilla Signature 1932 Limitado Oscuro Salomon

souldog

OG Post-Whorer since 2008 bitches...
Another beautiful night here in Monterrey, CA. They just finished up their Greek festival here, and the crowds are subsiding, which is nice because people and crowds generally piss me off. Tonight, Mrs. Souldog and I went to a local micro-brewery, Peter B's, and had some excellent brews and fish and chips:
IMG00111-20090907-2003.jpg

Here is a nice pint of their 7 Malt Stout:
IMG00112-20090907-2018.jpg

I ordered two more pints, had them sent to our room, and went to work while sitting on the patio.

Cigar: Padilla Signature 1932 Limitado Oscuro Salomon
Size: 7.2" X 59 Ring

Start Time: 2113 hours
IMG00114-20090907-2104.jpg

Initial Impressions: I removed the cello, and examined this cigar. I picked it up from The Devil Site, and it's been resting for about six weeks, so it should be ripe for the burning. The wrapper is very sweet and spicy, rolled perfectly with no veins, ultra-dark wrapper with tons of oil, and spicy to the nostrils.

The Smoke: I clipped the cap and took a pre-light draw, and it was tight as hell. So, I re-clipped further down, took another draw, and still tight. :( I think this may be attributed to the "nipple foot," so I'll live with it for now. I lit the cigar and tasted nutmeg and cinnamon in the first few puffs. After that, the spice started to hit me in my nostrils, and it is a very enjoyable experience.
IMG00115-20090907-2131.jpg

The cigar begins to open up once past the "nipple" end and flavors of chocolate, pecans and cinnamon are found. This cigar is shaping up nicely, and pairs well with the stout I picked up. The foot's ash is really weak, and it looks like it's doing all kind of funky things like expanding, dropping off without notice, and generally annoying me. The burn is crooked and I am having a hard time fixing it without burning up to two inches off the wrapper, oh well.

Later, the burn is still crooked as ever, and my purge almost took my face off, but the smoke is back in full force. The cigar might need a year or two to rest, as the robust flavors seem to go in and out. Again, I had some serious burn issues so I let the cigar go out, ashed it off, and tried my hand at yet another relight. As tasty as it is, I'm getting annoyed with this cigar!
IMG00117-20090907-2155.jpg

On the relight, the cigar was PACKED with that spicy familiar 1932 taste, it was terrific. After listening to the bugler play "Taps" (who knew they did that here?), the damn cigar went out again. Re-lit, back to smoking.
IMG00119-20090907-2224.jpg

Relight relight relight, that seems like that's all there is in this review. The cigar is in fact flavorful, but these relights are just killing me.
IMG00120-20090907-2237.jpg

Overall: In summation, this cigar was a tasty, well constructed masterpiece, and definitely worth the price tag IF it did not have so many burn issues. I wouldn't buy the limited edition box, but I will definitely buy a couple more to let them rest for a year or two and see if some aging helps. The flavors are incredible when you can taste them, but there are still pockets of time where you taste ammonia and young tobacco. Perhaps I smoked it too quickly? Maybe I didn't let it rest in my humidor as long as I should have? Either way, you pay $30 USD for a stogie, the freakin' thing better stay lit. Maybe the new Padilla makers kicked these guys out too quick to the streets.
IMG00121-20090907-2240.jpg

End Time: 2235 hours

Never heard of the '32 Limitado Oscuro Salomone. How does it compare to the Pepin rolled oscuro? I'm assuming since this is a 2009 release that this one isn't a Pepin cigar, of course...

Never heard of the '32 Limitado Oscuro Salomone. How does it compare to the Pepin rolled oscuro? I'm assuming since this is a 2009 release that this one isn't a Pepin cigar, of course...

Honestly, I've never tried the Pepin rolled Oscuro. It would be interesting to see the difference. I can readily tell the difference between the flavors of the new 32's versus the old 32's, but I'm going to have seek out and get my hands on a Pepin rolled oscuro to find out.

Good review. I've been unlucky with that particular smoke on that site. This is on my must try list.

Great review Jon, and it sounded like a good smoke despite the burn issues. Hopefully some rest will fix that. Good to see you and the wife are enjoying your vacation. Stay safe and have fun brother! :thumbs:

Great in dept review Dog. My experience with most Padilla's is they are kinda hit and miss. I smoked one of these about a month ago and I can honestly say it was a very nice stick. It have a firm draw but not real tight. The re-light problems you had hit me also as I got 2/3 of the way down. I will probably pick up a few and also put them to rest for a year or so. Your always putting up some killer reviews with pic's and commentary keep up the good work brother.

Mark

Those look tasty, I'll have to try and find a couple.

I love Padilla and I loved your review. This is one of his cigars which I have not yet bought, but it is being added to my shortlist. Thank you for helping me take one more step towards going broke.

Nice review! Bummer it didn't turn out to be less of a headache, but they can't all be perfect. Looks like a nice evening either way.

For $30, I'll wait for you next review after these rest until deemed ripe for the torch. Good to see you have great fun, and here we are listening to you while we have to work.

Nice review as always brother.

Nice review. It's a different smoke, but I tend to have burn problems with the regular blend Padilla 1932 cigars that I get on Cbid. I've had to let them sit for a few months before they behave. Not thinking there's a conspiracy or anything but just thought I'd throw that out there.

Oh, and it's Monterey with one "r." Just giving you sh*t -- it's my hometown (though I should probably just keep my wiseass mouth shut as I've never even been to Peter B's).

Thanks for the great review and pics.

Thank you for the great review! I was just wondering about these fat boys. They look awesome - and I don't use that word gratuitously.

Nice review. It's a different smoke, but I tend to have burn problems with the regular blend Padilla 1932 cigars that I get on Cbid. I've had to let them sit for a few months before they behave. Not thinking there's a conspiracy or anything but just thought I'd throw that out there.

While you might get lucky, it's usually a good idea to let any cigars rest for a couple weeks to a month after shipping. They're often overly and unevenly moist from the distributer, in my experience.

Steve

I don't recall having problems with the one I smoked, but I was smoking in relatively dry Denver and you were in relatively wet Monterey.

If you actually paid the Devil $30 for those, you may have gotten some of your soul back dog. :(

Oh, and it's Monterey with one "r." Just giving you sh*t -- it's my hometown (though I should probably just keep my wiseass mouth shut as I've never even been to Peter B's).

Thanks for the great review and pics.
Hmmm...so you're having problems with them too, eh? Conspiracy indeed. Also, I learned something new about you Mr. G, Monterey is your old stomping grounds? That's cool.

Besides the crappy service at the Mucky Duck, the pillaging and harassment that occurred on the boardwalk from the chowder-peddling vendor who got to close to my wife, our stay was enjoyable. I bought a cigar from Cool Cats, and they look scary, so I don't know man. I am definitely thinking about going back and staying at the Portola again, but Peter B's was definitely tits in terms of food, service, and brews.

If you actually paid the Devil $30 for those, you may have gotten some of your soul back dog. :(
Yeah, I dropped some cashola Matt. So, I got taken huh?? That sucks...